What is the accepted ESB chest light sequence?

The sequence in that link is what was provided to me for the chest display WAY back when (back when the board was still "As You Wish"). My understanding, and I apologize for not remembering names, is that a couple of members watched the Laser Disc version of the movies to find the sequence; as I recall, they zoomed in and watched it in slow-mo! :) Talk about dedication (or is it insanity?).

ATM
ShackMan

For my boards, I went with what was accepted by the masses as the correct sequence (which is what KaanE posted). I have watched ESB and ROTJ many, many times to check the sequence, but I cannot find a long enough on screen Boba presence to say it's correct or not. A lot of the time, I see it doesn't appear to be lighted at all. I'm not saying the sequence is correct, but it would be nice if someone could say 'I know a guy who knew a guy that worked in the FX department during filming, and here's the screen used sequence'. Anyone know that guy?

Fettronics

I don't know that guy, but I am the guy who headed up the current "accepted sequence." I am fairly confdent the "accepted sequence" is not the complete sequence. This sequence was put together from the carbon freezing chamber scene which is the only time you really can see it in a decent light. We simply took what we saw and put it together, but the problem is, in the scene, they cut away from and back to Fett several times, so there is no doubt this is not the complete sequence, it is just the best we were able to do based on the material we currently have available. I would love nothing more than for someone to fire up the display on one of the suits in the archive and give us something new! This was one of the reasons we had shackman make his boards with modular chips, so we could one day replace them with a more accurate sequence when it was found.

Here is why I ask
I have a reference pic that shows a completely different display.
I have cropped out the chest display section because I cannot post the entire pic.
Anyone else ever seen this?

lights.JPG

That looks like a 2nd stage of this display as seen in the ESB Hallway promotional stills. I don't know if this is another chest display with a different sequence or if it is just a part of the sequence we never saw in the Carbon Freezing chamber. If you will notice, from what we got on screen the display in the freezing chamber had a 3 staged sequence: off, partial characters, then complete charcters. This appears to be the same but with different characters.

esb.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know the guy responsible during filming of the originals, but I know the guy using it during the SE versions. Don Bies ran the archives, as well as wearing the suit (I believe for ROTJ?).

Anyway, years ago, I took a set to him and asked him if he thought it was correct. His response was that he (of course) didn't know the exact sequence, but it looked close enough for him. He also commented that they didn't run the lights in ROTJ, due to bright sunlight washing it out anyway.

ATM
ShackMan

I'm not saying the sequence is correct, but it would be nice if someone could say 'I know a guy who knew a guy that worked in the FX department during filming, and here's the screen used sequence'. Anyone know that guy?

Fettronics

In all the HD ESB Screencaps that I have seen Boba has the same sequence. Ok, in the postproduction pics you can see variations, but IN THE MOVIE you only can see this sequence.

EDIT: Sorry, I saw other sequences in the HD Screen Caps :eek: But in the 80% you can see this pic xD

Dibujo.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, I need to make a clarification. There are two parts to the display. The top section and the bottom. We used the carbon chamber scene mainly for the top sequencing. We did to verification for the bottom in that scene but we also pulled pics from other resources. Here is another pic from the hallyway photoshoot that shows one of the displays in the current sequence. I had forgotten about it but that would mean that both the pic posted by S1P and myself are from the same display... so you now have two additional steps in the bottom. Time for new chips shack old buddy!

esb2.jpg

"My" pic is also from the hallway photoshoot.
I thought the lights might differ between this shoot and the carbon chamber scenes.
I just didn't know if the lights were the same or had been changed out inbetween the shoot & the scene

Upon looking at everything, I would say no, they weren't changed... just parts of the sequence that were missing or unclear until now. Pretty nice as it gives us a 5 sequence bottom display (inlcuding off). The top display has 6 sequences so it would seem we are getting closer to what might be considered a complete sequence and this actually might BE the complete sequence as it doesn't seem that the top and bottom line up, so ther might only be 5 total for the bottom.

:lol: so I actually made a contribution to this hobby?

Indeed.

While we still have no idea what the sequence is of the lower section, I would suggest we go at it like this.

Old partial characters
Old complete characters
OFF
New partial characters (image I posted)
New complete characters (image S1P posted)

you could add another off to the end, but I think I would prefer to keep the bottom out of sync with the top.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back