First Bucket - Just Got a DP95!

C0W13OY

New Hunter
Hey everyone i just received a DP95! This is my first bucket and i am definitely in need of some help in modifying! First off where should i start? I want to do a custom paint job, modify the T-Visor, and reinforce the helmet so that it will keep its shape! I would also like to add electronics to the range finder! I guess the main questions i have right now are:

Where to start?
What tools do i need to begin modifying this bucket?

Also, i noticed the range finder looks like it has been glued back on is this an easy fix once i start modifying this bucket?

Pictures are below!

1000591iv5.jpg

1000592ys7.jpg

1000590dz9.jpg

click on helmet for topics about "helmets" all the information you need is right at your fingertips. do a search first then if you get stuck, we can help you out. good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

(y)

Last edited by a moderator:
ok maybe i should have rephrased what i meant by help, where should i start? Should i cut the t visor out first?
Sand the outside of the helmet?
Remove the range finder?

i have ideas of what to do, but this is my first build, and everyone needs a starting point! Basically that was all that i was asking for!

ok so i bought some 100 grit sandpaper and an exacto-knife. i will be getting a dremel tommorow! i am going to start sanding down the helmet, i did the bottom of it just as a test and its working pretty well. in regards to removing the rangefinder, can i just use the exacto-knife to get through the glue? or am i supposed to remove both ears not just the rangefinder?

if removing both ears is the case, what exactly is the process for doing that? thank you all for your contributions so far, i will be posting my sanding progress shortly!

C0W13OY

you have to remove everything my friend any way you can. you will need some finer sandpaper also to smooth out what the 100 grit did. I'm not really sure what type of adhesive they used to secure the ears but the exacto knife is a good start but be careful that you don't cut into the ears themselves :facepalm. when you go to reattach them, you might want to consider bolts or "rare earth magnets" to hold them in place. that way you can take them on/off again easily.

If didn't already I would say leave the bottom black visor part in to give you a little more support when sanding and handling. That's all I've got. Hope it helps and BountyOne couldn't be more right about 100 grit and exacto knife is a good start.

ok so heres my first update! I started sanding but i want to know how I am doing, do i need to get all of it out or just most of it? so when i do my first primer it will look decent?

also i popped off the range finder and it came off it one piece! LOL, with a little injury to my thumb, damn exacto-knife LOL as you can see in the pic!

With the DP 95 i think thats the only piece that can come off, or at least thats what it looks like to me, is there any other pieces i need to remove besides the visor?

heres the pics!

1000595vw5.jpg

1000596qa3.jpg

You cut yourself taking the ear off? QUICK mix some of the blood into the paint you plan to use! :) That way there will always be a little bit of you in that helmet of yours! (that's the way Boba would have done it, I bet! ..... if he cut himself while working on HIS armor!)

All kidding aside... you're doing a great job sanding! The primer and later coats will go on smoother and without thick painted areas if you sand it all off before applying your own colors.

Keep up the good work!

If it were mine, I would also use a touch of bondo or green modeling filler and cover the DP and date imprint on the back. Let it dry and sand it smooth. Just an opinion, but if i were doing a custom repaint, I would not want the factory markings on it.

thanks for the replies so far! everyone has been really helpful for this being my 1st bucket and all! I am definitely going to get some bondo and that dremel at home depot tomorrow! its gonna start getting interesting here shortly!

anyone have any advice on the type of primer that they used? i was just going to get some basic Krylon gray primer! i dont know if thats kosher or not?!

I wish i was doing the red paint job when i cut my damn thumb, that s*** hurt like hell i was so pissed off lol, i knew it was going to happen sooner or later! lol once i get done sanding / bondo i will post pictures and then i will cut out the t visor! (holy s***) that scares the hell out of me haha!

Thanks for the support and i will definitely keep everyone updated, i hope to make this DP 95 look good for a first bucket!

One thing I learned about the paints (if you're using spraycans) is, stick to the name brands... Krylon or the Home Depot stuff... especially if you're going to do it layered at all.... I bought some discount yellow to do a base coat of my armor shoulders and knees, and it was so thick it didn't chip off right.

One bit of advice about grey primer too... make sure it's good for plastic.. not all are, and you'll find it beading for your first coat otherwise.

Don't worry about cutting out the visor... what you might want to try is a modeling clipper (like wire clippers but for modelling plastic). You can cut plastic nice and straight and sand any rough spots after. Look on the bright side... you don't have much work to do on the keyholes! Now THAT'S a pain! :)

I can't wait to see what that DP95 looks like when all the paint is gone! Can you take a picture when it's naked, ready for the first coat of primer?

hey dude welcome aboard. I did custome dp95 , and it looks great. well i like it , any who in case your wondering how to get the worp in the back of the helmet out, just use a metal half ring. I used a paintbucket handle , and it worked very good, i didnt even glueit . i just placeit and it stays in. just make sure; when you cut it to the size, each tip of the half ring is flush with the sheeks, im pretty sure youl figure it out . i know you didnt ask , but just trying to help. good luck dude.

Here's what i got out of my DP 95. It's currently on ebay Austria 'cause i want to move on to a BM helmet now. I used Rogue Studios paint list and the reference dvds. Also very helpful was AFettFullofDollars stencil thread. Thank You!! the dented helmet is a unbelievable source and a great community.

DSCN4305.jpg

DSCN4324.jpg

Damn Wofi, that an awesome DP95! Ive got my old DP95 stripped down to plastic with with a reinforcement ring. I had it finisehed once, but it' didn't look worth a ****. So as soon as I figure out a way to fit the visor in there, I'm painting.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back