Silly question

suspect86

Active Hunter
I would like to start painting my second helmet today and I was thinking about using the stencils we have available. Are these stencils only suggested use if you want to paint your helmet with the topical method? How would you go about using them for a layered style?

Tips appreciated.

You paint from the lowest colors.

Your mask grows as you go. So you paint in the lowest details first. Silver in this case. Then cover that mask and a little more expanding out with gray, then the next color all the way up till everything is masked off excep tthe base colors.

You neednt even remove any of the paint mask till your done.

Try this on a small piece of plastic first, to get your process down.

This is of course if your using a drying paint on mask, if your going to use something like vaseline, or mustard, youll need to fully dry, whipe WASH and remask each time. Because your likely to break the mask barrier if you dont.

Hope that helps
mason

hey bud, i used the stencils for the back of my lid, and that was a layered style...i only did it for the concrete and then the blue/green on top of that...painted the concrete first, then printed out the stencil the size i needed, then traced BACKWARDS onto trace paper, then used a nickle to "rub" the pencil onto the helmet from the tracing paper....that gave me the area i needed to fill in with the liquid mask...i guess from there you could do it again, but on the darker colors i dont see how the pencil would show up good enough for you to see where to fill in with the liquid mask...hope that helps...(y)

I started doing my Sgt Fang layered using the stensils with the backwards pencil technique described above. I haven't gotten very far, that was forever ago. I just haven't gotten back around to working on it again...first it was too cold, missed my opportunity when it was "just right" then it was too hot, now that "just right" is coming around again I've got other things on my plate that are priority so I'm not sure when I'll get around to working on it again...but I will...yet another reason my fett is never ending.

I've got a thread around here somewhere with my progress such as it was.

Thanks guys. Appreciated. I get how to stencil the whole thing backwards, that's no big deal. I was just wondering if this was an effective way to paint my helmet? Layering is quite a handful and very time consuming(considering it adds about 4 or 5 extra steps to the) process.

It all depends on the finish you want for your lid? It is time consuming tho.

Personally I think that the layered effect is totally awesome...
On my first lid, I cheated a little and only layered the silver/grey then sprayed the main block colours? I then went topical with the rest...

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back