How to shape sintra?

cooltd825

Hunter
Okay, I know I'm sounding like a total newbie here, but I've never shaped sintra before. All I've used for my armor (custom mandalorian thingy) was a garbage can and it was already shaped. I was also wondering if I could just use the sintra as the armor itself and not a base for the whole expensive vacu-form setup. Also, does it get beat up really easily or is it semi-resistant to impact (A.K.A. paintballs).

Thanks,
Tommy D.

Last edited by a moderator:
The most common method is to boil it for 10 to 20 seconds, depending on the thickness and the severity of the curve needed, bend it into shape, and then run cold water over it to make it keep the shape. Some people have used heat guns, but I've heard that boiling is the best method. It's really quite easy, and fairly foolproof. If you mess up on something, you can boil it again and reshape it.

In a pot of water on the stove.
Might want to open a window when doing this. have heard that sintra gives off some kind of fumes when heated. People have complained of a sore throat afterwards.
Hope that helps.

I've used my eletrical oven.. don't know how well it works in gas stoves but should have the same effect...

put it in in low heat and wait for the edges to curve.. then it's just right for shaping..

I've actually just been bendin mine by hand, but I'm only doing small pieces for my helmet right now. It doesn't shape perfectly, but I can get it close enough for me to JB Weld it into place on my scratch built bucket. Once the weld cures, it looks great.

CenteroftheMind said:
The most common method is to boil it for 10 to 20 seconds, depending on the thickness and the severity of the curve needed, bend it into shape, and then run cold water over it to make it keep the shape. Some people have used heat guns, but I've heard that boiling is the best method. It's really quite easy, and fairly foolproof. If you mess up on something, you can boil it again and reshape it.

I always boiled the water and then lowered the stuff in rather that boiling the water with the material in it. It seemed to get soggy /droopy in a LOT less than 20 sec's if the water has just boiled. Watch the edges though as they can mishape.(y)

So, say I was going to make a set of Imperial Biker Scout armor (which I am) and I am working on the chest plate and the back plate. Just stick the whole sheet (2 by 4) in the oven and then shape it over my mold?

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back