WIP first build ever. ESB Boba

xarbiterx

New Hunter
Hello, all!
After lurking and doing research almost obsessively for the last few months, I've decided to start building my own Boba suit. I've never done any sort of costuming before, so bare with me here.. ha.

I initially wanted to get this done by Halloween, but it's looking very unlikely. Once I did the research, it became a lot more complex than I imagined.
I couldn't get my hands on any sintra or anything locally and I figured I'd start out with something to cut my teeth with, so I went out and got some EVA foam floor pads to work with.
I saved all sorts of templates and reference pictures I found here on TDH and I used wizardofflight's armor templates for the armor.

I used a utility knife to cut it all out and it was super easy to my surprise. Anyway, once I cut it all out, I sanded down the edges so that it all had a smooth edge to it and added the dents in the armor with a Dremel. After I did that I used a heat gun to soften and shape the armor pieces I had cut out.

Looking back at my references, I noticed that the foam I'm using looks just a little too thick to be used as an accurate set of armor, so I was a little bummed, BUT I didn't let it discourage me because it is my first time and it doesn't look half bad. This is just a trial run to get the idea of how to do it. Well, unfortunately when I looked back at my references, I didn't realize that I had set my heat gun too close to my armor and accidentally melted the corners of the abdomen plate and the right chest plate. Easy fix, luckily I have a lot of this foam left so I can just cut more out. I didn't have too much time to get the rest of the armor cut and shaped, but once my days off roll through again, I should have a much better update to post.
Aby suggestions or tips or if anyone has any extra anything they're willing to part with or sell, I'm more than willing to take in. I'll take any help I can get. Thanks for looking. :)

20140919_181201.jpg

20140919_202243.jpg

20140919_204507.jpg

Welcome! When you get to the paint stage, remember to seal your foam. There are a few ways but I use equal parts water to carpenters/wood glue. Just brush on with a standard paint brush, with the number of coats, the more glue the less coats but the dried glue could crack, the more water the more coats. As for the thickness, I've found that foam in 8x4 foot rolls is thinner than the 4pack flat stuff. Hope some of this helps, good luck and have fun building:)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back