longhornfett jango helmet update (finished helmet 7-5-10)

Mike M.

Well-Known Hunter
Community Staff
TDH PREMIUM MEMBER
i really suck at taking progress pictures while i'm working on these now, but if you go and look at my helmet paint-up thread and the thread for the helmet i did for verbal21 you can kind of fill in the gaps of the steps i forgot to document. so let's get on to the pictures that i do have of this helmet.

here it is, fresh out the box. i haven't done anything with it yet except open it up find all the parts and set them on the stairs to take a pretty picture.

DSC02046.jpg

this next shot is one i always seem to remember to take, here is the helmet with the flash trimmed off from the opening. i haven't started any sanding yet other than to smooth out the bottom edge of the helmet after cutting off the extra resin.

DSC02047.jpg

now from there i went through the process of sanding, sanding, sanding. there were about eight 220 grit pads used up on the mouse sander. a few hours of 400 grit sanding by hand (and a sore arm from that), and then some more sanding with 800 grit. that's where i pause to tape the entire helmet (i've found that taping at 800 grit makes it easier to remove any tape residue when i unmask it after painting than if i sanded to 1000 grit and then taped it off), and get ready to paint.

painting is pretty much a multi-layer process, i liken it to dante's inferno. layer 1 -filler primer, once that's set i look for imperfections and fill them with bondo spot filler. then i spot sand the filler down with 400 grit then go over all the primer with 800 and then move on to... layer 2 - automotive primer, then look for any remaining pin holes and spots that may need a little more filling. again with the 400 to 800 grit sandings. layer 3 - automotive primer again, by this point i should have gotten pretty much all the little bobs and bits taken care of and there's no more spot filling required (if there are any that have escaped my notice at this point, they've earned the right to be there). sand it down with 800 grit so it's smooth at freshly shaved leg. from there i can begin layer 4 - this is two layers in one, more like two coats, i get the little can of krylon ocean blue and get the brow, the mandibles, and the area around the ears (i make it a point not to get too much ocean blue on the cheeks, since it's not necessary because that's going to be painted rustoleum royal blue). set aside and let dry. layer 5 - more tape. i mask off everything that needs to be ocean blue, i.e. the brow, the mandibles, and the area around the ears. layer 6 - rustoleum royal blue, the big can. time to go to town on the upper cheeks, the ears, and the right upper ear mount. layer 7 - this is more of a stage of development instead of layer, but it's the unmasking stage. i let the royal blue set for about 20-30 minutes, and it's still tacky when i start to remove all the tape so i have to be careful where i'm holding and peeling from. i peel it off at this point because if i let the second blue set up all the way it gets too hard and can peel away at the ocean blue when i unmask. so i just tear off all the tape while it's still pretty wet. once i get all the tape off i set the helmet on my handy stand and let it dry while i go to bed.

so that brings us to where i'm at with this helmet so far. i've unmasked it this morning and now it's sitting on the stand drying. but i did manage to get a couple good pics of what it looks like right now.

DSC02076.jpg

DSC02080.jpg

p.s. i forgot to mention that i've already installed the keyslots (it doesn't affect the painting process, and it makes the next stage of sanding easier since i won't have to worry about accidentally messing up the 1000 grit finish if i mis-glue.), and i've also installed two of the chicago screws and the base of the mandibles. i also fashioned a stay for them out of a piece of aluminum so they can't flex as much as i'm working on it with the visor area cut out. i'm thinking of painting the stay black and leaving it in after i install the visor just to give it all a little more stability than the welding visor can provide.

Last edited by a moderator:
update 6/23/10

got the last bit of 1000 grit sanding done, and the polishing as well with my handy-dandy meguiers all metal polish. also got the earcap and rf top attached with screws and bolts. check it out

DSC02085.jpg

DSC02087.jpg

inside showing off the acorn nuts holding the ear cap on.
DSC02089.jpg

and the two little screws that attach the rf top to the stalk. i made a little boo boo with it, i accidentally drilled 3/32" holes in the top instead of the 5/64" like i should have, so i filled the holes with CA glue and attached it that way. i'm not worried about it popping off, there's plenty of super-strong glue holding it down.
DSC02088.jpg

all that's left now is visor installation, weathering, and putting in a little foam. i'll probably do the weathering tonight, and maybe the visor too if i don't have too many distractions. look for more updates soon.

i'd be more than happy to bill. stay tuned for the comparison shot of mine next to longhornfetts when i'm all done with it.

last night i installed the visor and did some weathering too. so all that's left is to pad it, it should be ready to ship early next week, if you're ready.

Hi mate

I see you do a few of these helmets, I'm an Aussie and so therefore can't get hold of these paints over here (Krylon & Rustoleum)

So i was wondering if you would be keen to sell me a couple cans and ship them over to me? I'll pay for your troubles of coarse. I just don't want to waste time and money trying to match colors that are close but not close enough.

I think I remember reading to ship paint cans to Aus it's about 70 - 80US$ for dangerous goods transport.

Anyway I'f ya keen plz get back to me, if not I'll pop a thread up in the Cargo Hold.

Cheers mate
Trav

ok kids, here we go, another helmet successfully complete; here is the side by side shots of my helmet next to longhornfetts. my helmet is the one on the right in all these shots.

DSC02098.jpg

DSC02099.jpg

DSC02100.jpg

DSC02101.jpg

The helmet looks good. I really like the weathering.

I have been watching your WIP threads and often use them for reference. I am working on my Asok helmet and I am having trouble getting rid of the seam and the imperfections on the back of the helemt. Am I just being too much of a wuss and need to sand more or is there a trick to the problem. I have been going slow (all hand sanding) on this helmet because it is the first time I have worked with cold cast. I have heard several people talk about using a mouse sander and I have been nervous about using it. How careful do you need to be in using a sander?

Thanks again for these threads they are informative and helpful.

ok kids, here we go, another helmet successfully complete; here is the side by side shots of my helmet next to longhornfetts. my helmet is the one on the right in all these shots.

DSC02098.jpg

DSC02099.jpg

DSC02100.jpg

DSC02101.jpg

Again Awesome man!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations!!!!!

Just two questions!!!!!!

1-Both are Asok Helmets?

2-What T visor do you have used?

Thanks & congratulations for their work Bro!!!!!!!!!!!

Leo

@Mullreel yes, you're being a little too kind to the helmet. you gotta get after it, and since the cold cast layer is in most spots on the helmet at least a millimeter thick you can sand of that all day. but you're probably not going to want to sand until your arm falls off so i do highly recommend a mouse sander or something equivalent. get yourself two packs of 220grit pads and go for it, make that helmet call you daddy.

@Boba Leo yes indeed, both helmets are asok cold cast ILM hero helmets. and i go down to the local metal shop/welding supply store and get the dark green face shield, very similar to these. i use those for visors in all my helmets and all the helmets i work on for other people.

@Mullreel yes, you're being a little too kind to the helmet. you gotta get after it, and since the cold cast layer is in most spots on the helmet at least a millimeter thick you can sand of that all day. but you're probably not going to want to sand until your arm falls off so i do highly recommend a mouse sander or something equivalent. get yourself two packs of 220grit pads and go for it, make that helmet call you daddy.

@Boba Leo yes indeed, both helmets are asok cold cast ILM hero helmets. and i go down to the local metal shop/welding supply store and get the dark green face shield, very similar to these. i use those for visors in all my helmets and all the helmets i work on for other people.

Wonderful work, really very profecional their work!!!!!!!!!! Excellent, thank you to share this with us!!!!!!!!

Leo

almost forgot, one last progress picture.

DSC02103.jpg

there it is all boxed up, i just need longhornfetts address and it'll be on it's way.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back