I AM HANGING OUT WITH CHEWIE

arod fett

Jr Hunter
tommorrow , we have a your sci fi con in newfoundland canada.... i will be hanging out with peter aka chewebacca all day tomorrow... having supper with him after.. cant wait.

i was asked thursday night for dinner with him and his wife , i could not make it then , but we are having dinner saturday night. and few beers afterwards..... i had dinner with jeremy bullock last year at our con, nice guy , i bought him beers and he bought me beers... i could not believe i was sitting in a pub have beers with boba fett.... now it will be chewie , life does not get better then this!!!

I too had the opportunity to have a beer or two with Jeremy and his wife, last year at FaExpo in Toronto. Tonight I'll be schmoozing with George Takei ( Mr. Sulu ) of Star Trek fame. Seeing as he's recently done a voice for one of the Separatist Generals in the new Clone Wars series, we're presenting him with an honorary squad membership tonight. We have a loverly gift basket full of swag for him! :D

i just want to say , peter is no jermey .... jermey was awesome with the fans.. i was not too impressed with peter.... he just seemed annoyed about getting a photo with fans .. i remember at after dinner a young guy asked for a picture with jeremy , he seemed annoyed but did it , then he asked for an autograph , peter told the young man to come back the next day for an autograph , i guess to charge him for it... not impressed at all..... i was suppose to go back today to have my pic taken with peter , but not wasting my time, if he cant make time for fans he should not be doing these apparences i had a few parents seemed upset about his manner as well..... oh well but jermey last year was great made time for everyone pics autographs etc....

Unfortunately that happens.
I have been in the con scene since 1995. Over the years I have met some really GREAT celebs and some really poor ones.

One that comes to mind is meeting Billy Dee Williams at C2 in his autograph line. First off he wouldnt look at anyone buying his autograph. Im not talking about eye contact, Im talking about looking even in your general direction.

As far as really cool guests I have met, Ray Park was one of the nicest hands down. I remember when I met him I had a camera that used film (wierd eh?) When I handed the camera to my friend to shoot the photo, it was at the end of the roll. He had to stop and change rolls out. Instead of Mr. Park getting aggravated he just held the pose we were doing (shaking hands) and asked me about where I was from and what I do for a living etc.

I agree with arod_fett, if you cant stand the fans, stop taking money to do the gigs.

I always thought someone should do a list of con celebs and allow people to vote on them based on how they are with fans. That would actually help influence me when deciding who to meet at shows.

Theres a similar list out there for movie celebs. I believe Johnny Depp was #1 for how willing he is to talk to you or sign something, and being friendly in general.

So yeah Im sorry your experience was a bad one. Hopefully your next guest experience will be better.

- Chris

arod_fett,
I am sorry to hear about your experience. The Central California Garrison had the exact same thing happen a few years back.
We had Jeremy in town the first week and Peter the second week.

Jeremy=Extremely nice, pleasant, signed everything we asked (20+ items), allowed us to take a ton of photo's, we covered his dinner but he insisted to pay for his drinks. Class act!!! Great guy!!! Lovely wife!!!
Also, handed out autographed 501st cards to EVERYONE at the dinner (30+ people).

Peter=He was pleasant at dinner but afterward was quite rude. He signed around 3 things then his wife said it was time to leave.
My friends 10 year old son asked him to sign his Chewy figure he said,
"Come back tomorrow to the Con". I.E.=Give me $20.00!!!
Sad, really sad.:(
Totally classless.(n)
Hopefully my friends son isn't scarred for life from the experience...
Darren

at dinner it was the same thing... rude after dinner.... not sure if you know what newfoundlanders are like , we are really friendly people .... we go out of our way to help someine out.... especially if your from out of town... we want tourist to come back.... when jeremy was here i gave him one of my limited edition prints of the northern lights which he posted on his website... jeremy was first class.....

Wow, I am SO glad I am not the only person that has this view of Peter Mayhew. I was going to post earlier about my experience but did not because I thought people would think I was just being an A hole.

Peter along with his wife Angie and his step daughter, came down as our squad's guest for Mardi Gras 08. The night he came into town, he went to one of my squad mates house for a party. He sat outside smoking the whole time on my friends patio along with his wife. There was not to many people at the party because our squad was not all that big at the time. I went outside to see if I could talk to him on several occasions but this guy just seems to live pissed off. And whenever he did answer anyone's question it almost put me to sleep becuase he has no enthusiasm. For someone who makes their income from fans and people's love for his character, he sure seems to be aggrevated by everyone and just wants to be left alone.

The following day we went to children's hospital along with Peter to see the kids. Right before we took off our costumes, I asked if I could have a picture with him while I was in my Tusken, his reply was "hurry up"
and it seemed like he was doing me the biggest favor ever. That Sunday was the day of the parade and I walked right along the side of the convertible so that the crowd did not overwhelm the car. I witnessed him do the same thing Darren said. A little kid that just so happened to have a Chewie shirt on (the kid had no idea Peter was in the parade, barely anyone knew) ran up to the car thrilled to death to meet Peter. He asked Peter if he could please have him autograph his shirt, and this was Peter's reply "I can't sign your shirt due to legal reasons" and then he just looked away. The little kid replied "It was still nice to meet you" and Peter just nodded his head. I would have believed the whole legal issue except an hour before the parade he signed two items for someone in our group. I felt so bad for that kid, and was whispering not very nice things in my helmet.

I had NO problem putting in my half of the money for his trip down here, hell I even offered to put in more before the event. But after the way this guy acted I would not pay him a dime for an autograph or anything for that matter. For someone who gets their income from fans I think he should change his attitude towards them or get out of the scene. Maybe he was always like this. It's been bugging me for awhile and I'm happy I am not the only person with this view. However there were people in our group that were so Star Struck they thought he was a god, and were brown noseing the whole time :lol:

I can honestly say I have never met a nicer person then Jeremy Bulloch, definitely a really great guy and the same goes for Ray Park. (y)

maybe peter should give it up ,. it is all about the fans ... if the fans dont show , well i guess he is out of a job..... after posting this , i see that i am not the only one ,,, i dont mind saying whats on my mind and not afraid of others think.... it was my experience and looks like many of you had the same ..... maybe peter needs to retire from this fan thing.....

Yeah being one thats been collecting autographs all these years I never got his....I never wanted it.

Maybe this is mean of me to say but if you were just inside of a suit, had no speaking lines, or did anything special so to speak, you should be grateful anyone wants your autograph to begin with. He was born tall...get over it.

Arod is right, if folks stopped going to their tables at shows, they might have to start treating folks with some respect.

i dont mean to be coming down hard on peter , because i was awe struck when i first met him and hung around the table for a while and watched how he was treating others.... when i first went to get an autograph from him , which i paid 30.00 for.. he said i am just about to take a break., i said thats cool i am here all day , i will drop back... i did get his autograph .... but when the young man asked him for an pic that he did do and then the young man asked for an autograph . peters responce was come back to the sci fi con tomorrow to get it... i could see the young guy was unconfortable as he left the table.... that did it for me....

While I've never met him personally, my uncle told me that he had the same experience as what all of you guys were saying.

It's really sad, because so many kids look up to this guy, even if he was just the guy in the Chewie suit... kids love the character, and so do I, but between hearing a first-hand account of my uncle and now from you guys too, I'd be glad not to meet him. :facepalm

I really think someone with the web saavy should set up a website that lists sci-fi guests and lets fans write up reviews about them, their experience meeting them and maybe even a rating system.

Seriously, if I was going to say...Dragoncon and planned to meet 10 guests for autographs and I was able to read poor reviews about 3 of them, that might save me time and money. I don't want to meet these guys to sell their photos on ebay...I meet them because I enjoyed their performance on whatever show/movie. Id rather not waste time with folks that think being at a con is a waste of their time.

I had the same experience with Peter Mayhew in 96 or so. Had him sign an issue of Shadows of the Empire with disguised Chewie on the cover. He got downright rude about it telling me it wasn't Chewie. Rather then get into an arguement about it I just smiled agreement and walked away after the signing. I have NOT gone back to him in any other cons I've been too. Bulloch and Prowse treat you like gold and I enjoy interacting with them, but Mayhew I wouldn't waste my time. I knew someone who used to run the Men behind the Mask tour and I told her of my experience. She said he was having an off day. Sounds like things haven't changed.:facepalm

Never meet Peter in person. I have seen a lot of people who had a picture with him. He always looks annoyed or p'd off in every picture I have seen. Don't think I have ever seen him smile. Always thought it was just the way he photographed, and not really his mood. By reading this thread, guess I was wrong:facepalm

While I have never met Jeremy, I have met Dave and Peter. Things were really slow at the con I was at in Plano TX and he signed after payment. It might be because he was slow, or he was feeling nice or because he was flirting with my wife but he did the Chewie growl while my wife took a pic with him and I. I just think he is a bit short on personal skills to be in the lime light most of the time. To tell the truth, I wasn't too overwhelmingly impressed with either one. I felt like it was a business and they just want $$$$$$...

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back