Helmet Finishing Question

Stormrider

Well-Known Hunter
Greetings all. I have a question for any of you that has finished a WOF template helmet.

Well a couple of silly questions really.

The first is I used a sheet of .080 white polystyrene. I will give a walk through later about how I went about putting it together, as I overcame quite a few newbie build problems the hard way, simple things really that some of you experts dont realize us newbs dont know:)

Anyway, to finish the mandible/cheek sections I used red bondo spot glazing putty. It looks great, but it cracks, because the helmet flexes there.

So, Did I use the wrong putty, is there something more 'flexible' I can use to fill holes or what.

Also, I couldnt find ANYTHING to glue this stuff. Superglue, jb weld, everthing just popped/flaked right off. I had to use the glue that the plastic shop had for it, which basically melted it and stuck it together.

Anyone else ever have that problem?

Lastly, I have an old don post helmet. I dug it out after making quite a bit of my template helmet. The dome shape is close, but the cheecks/mandibles are totally different. Deeper, and most importantly, the lower/lost straight line/jaw line is very straight on the WOF template but on the don post helmet, flares out quite a bit. Ill take some pics and post when I get home so you can see what im talking about.

Im wondering if there is an 'idealized' mando helmet, and it differens quite a bit from the 'actual' shape of the helmet.

Anyway, thanks for listening.

Ciao

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back