im new here budget is allowance scrathc build help?

mercury19

New Hunter
Ive been here since about haloween, when I saw WOFs templates, which are awsome. I made a really lame set of armor out of cardboard that I scraped the day after haloween because I couldnt move with it on, as it was taped to a shirt and the helmet was on my bike helmet which i needed. My friend and i have decieded to try and find a MAY 4th convention, or at least make cool costumes. im going for a second try, but my budget is ten bucks a week if I work my but off. I want to go for a scratch build. any suggestions on what to make the armor out of? I still have the templates.

PC180202.JPG
My first go at anything permanent, a WIP westar pistol out of wood.It was real quick, just print a piccture and trace it. I forgot the contours on the sides though. :facepalm

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently finished a scratch build helmet using 5 gallon buckets and a hard hat. Although I have access to fiberglass and epoxy at work. Lowes sells 5 gallon buckets for about $3 each. You might be able to find some restaurants throwing them away. I know when I worked in a restaurant we would throw away a large stack of 5 gallon buckets every week or so. If you ask a manager at one, he might give you a couple. Those materials might give you a start while you save up some money for materials you will have to buy.

I'm pretty sure that I have a couple of five gallon buckets, and I saw a thread where someone said that batting helmets were cheap. My three biggest concerns are the shaping/connecting the materials, the helmet, and the gauntles. I only managed to figure out one of them before, with lots of details omited. I could get cloth materials easitly, and the holiday season is coming up, so I might get some money then too.

P.S. would it be better to attempt to make or just buy any weapons? i could deffinetly save up the money.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back