ASOK CC FP MR Budget Boba Fett Helmet - Assembly and ESB Paintup

clonecollector

Well-Known Hunter
This is my assembly and eventual ESB paintup of ASOK's CC FR MR Budget Boba Fett Helmet. Hopefully it will help some visualize the process of getting the helmet ready to paint. I couldn't get pictures of everything but hopefully you get an idea of what is involved.

To make this helmet really shine you need to polish it with "0" grit steel wool and then a final buff with "000" or higher steel wool. This will give the finish of swirled aluminum. Afterwards give it a polishing with "0000" steel wool for that final shine. I prefer to use real steel wool instead of the 3M stuff. I think the metal on metal effects shines this up best.

DSC05590.jpg

DSC05591.jpg

DSC05594.jpg

DSC05595.jpg

DSC05598.jpg

DSC05601.jpg

The hole in the cheek you see is for the "borden connector". I found the real thing from a dental supply company recommened in a thread by Webchief. Why not have the real thing if its fairly cheap and available?

DSC05592.jpg

The three "prongs" on the back have to be clipped off and the stumps ground down. The band of black tape is to help it fit snug. Once the helmet is painted up I will mout it in a mor epermanent manner. Here is the piece just before being inserted into the cheek:

DSC05609.jpg

The RF comes with a smal pilot hole already drilled out. You just want to use a larger drill bit to make a small indentation so you have a place for a screw head to sit in.

DSC05617.jpg

DSC05615.jpg

Now I marked out two holes on the top of the stalk.

DSC05618.jpg

I drilled pilot holes to sink two small screws in.

DSC05619.jpg

DSC05623.jpg

I filled up the holes with a steel epoxy putty twisting the screws in untill they were in tight.

DSC05623.jpg

DSC05625.jpg

AFter the epoxy cured I cut the heads off the screws with my trusty Black and Decker cutting tool and I was ready to connect it to the range finder housing:

DSC05626.jpg

DSC05629.jpg

After a good sanding of the black resin RF housing I traced out where the stalk should connect and drilled out two pilot holes for the screws to fint into. Nuts keep this housing secure to the stalk.

DSC05630.jpg

DSC05628.jpg

DSC05627.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OK. Time to mount the clear part to the range finder.

Make sure you scuff up the inside of the rf and the back of the clear resin piece:

DSC05637.jpg

DSC05636.jpg

Glue in some rare earth magnets. Make sure you measure properly and make sure you have the appropriate poles line up!

DSC05638.jpg

DSC05639.jpg

The almost complete RF/ Antenna. Only thing missing now is the eyepiece. It needs to be painted first and then glued on.

I'll have to ask salamanderking about led lights for this now!

DSC05640.jpg

DSC05641.jpg

To attach the right earcap I glued three rare earth magnets to the inside. I then drilled out recesses into the right ear. The resin was thin so I reinforced the back with some epoxy putty.

DSC05644.jpg

DSC05645.jpg

DSC05643.jpg

DSC05642.jpg

I made a template for the visor with paper. (sorry no pics)After multiple trimmings I got the size right. Then I used chicago screws spaced strategically to hold the visor in place. I used washers to fill in any extra space between the screw and the bolt. It still needs a brace setup along the bottom of the mandibles. Stay tuned for that fix.

DSC05647.jpg

DSC05646.jpg

Here is where its at now:

DSC05650.jpg

DSC05649.jpg

DSC05648.jpg

I think this weekend I'll begin examining Rafalfett's templates and see what colors I have. I've been collecting different rattlecan paints from various stores. I hope to find something good... most likely I'll do the dome and cheeks Rustoleum Spruce Green.

Lovely start my good man. If I ever do a ROTJ helmet, I must look into one of ASOK's with my local bud BGHunter not doing them anymore - thats a great looking mold :)

IMHO spruce green isnt quite the best color for the helmet...check out Moss green. Its a much better choice I think. Rusto satin american accents.

IMHO spruce green isnt quite the best color for the helmet...check out Moss green. Its a much better choice I think. Rusto satin american accents.

I will have to look at the Moss... When I painted my FP MR in 2010 I think I used the Moss and it appeared too light. So I masked out the damage again and painted over it with Krylon Italian Olive Green. I know we messaged about the color a few months back. I will look at my old thread here and see if I did use the Moss. If I can get the pic here maybe you can tell. Thanks for the input!

It looks good so far! Just keep the updates coming!

Thanks!

Hey F4R, Check this out from my old paintup. I think its the Moss... now if I remember correctly it was a gloss finish (mislabeled can!) and I used a steel wool to dull it down. So it looked worn and patchy to me. Maybe I sanded it too much?

DSC00092.jpg

DSC00094.jpg

DSC00096.jpg

DSC00095.jpg

DSC00093.jpg

DSC00098.jpg

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back