so I´m starting to make a helmet.

radiomonkey

New Hunter
I started to make my firts helmet yesterday.
I haven ever made anything like this so I wish for hints and tips.
It´s going to be very low budget and I´m trying to use just those materials I can find from home and or recycling materials. Ofcourse I will need to buy some materials from a market, but I try to keep my bodget lower than 20€/or dollars.

materials I have used til now;
cardboard from old boxes
air-condition-tape and glue

Questions I would like to ask are;
1. What is the best way to get a good-looking antenna?
2. How easily does spackling paste cracks?

thank you
ps. I will post pictures later when I´ll get my helmet on it´s shape.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can make a pretty good antenna from cardboard, if you have a look at Antman's tutorials. But the cardboard's probably not the same as what you're using. Boxes typically use either corrogated card board or dense but thin board like cereal boxes.

Having said that, non-corrogated card board's not expensive. I got mine for $5.50 NZ, which is about $3-4 US I think? And it was roughly A1 size, roughly equal to a good sized movie poster. My entire helmet is made from that one sheet. And there's plenty to spare, I did the ears twice and there's still a tiny bit left.

Don't know about spackling though.

Spackling cracks really easy vod, your going to wantto use bondo auto body filler or bondo glass, resin and fiberglass matte is also really good

I used spackling on my first two buckets. The first one got eaten by the dog, but the second got dropped and has a big crack. The paint is the only thing holding the spackle together, but it's an easy fix. The chipboard I used is from a big desktop calendar.
21kSmsnCpCL._SL500_AA175_.jpg

Fiberglassing isn't very expensive for the small amount of armor on a Fett, so I would recommend that you go with fiberglassing it. Your budget is way too low in my opinion to make a full good looking costume, although, I made my buckets with stuff that I already had, so it was essentially free.
Boba_Fett_costume_helmet_by_dung0beetle.jpg

Attachments

• 21kSmsnCpCL._SL500_AA175_.jpg
    21kSmsnCpCL._SL500_AA175_.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 162
  • Boba_Fett_costume_helmet_by_dung0beetle.jpg
    Boba_Fett_costume_helmet_by_dung0beetle.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 124
Thanks for the tips.
What I ment about my budget was that I would like to try keep it on ~20€ just for the helmet. I´m not talking about the whole costume at the moment. That will be my project in near future I hope. :)

I think I will give Fiberglassing a change, I´m testing spackling paste now for my prototype fett helmet and it starts to look good, but yeah, it really seems like it will crack too easily.

After I have tested few different methods on my prototype fett helmet I will get some good-quality cardboard, that´s for sure.
For now I have used 17€ to buy hotgluepistol, spackling paste, sandpaper and ofcourse... glue. so I´m still in my dream budget. :)

This forum is a great help!

Give me material tips?

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back