thinking of making a bucket..

Codika

Hunter
out of aluminum,but ive never worked with aluminum and i was wondering if anyone knew what materials id need,besides gloves lmao no one wants to lose a pinky for being stupid lol but yeah any recomendations or advice?
any help will be appreciated thanks everyone!

I saw someone build their helmet using WOF templates and aluminum... I have seen it on the site... I am looking for it now. He printed the templates on paper ( i remember the pics had his cat helping!) and then traced them to aluminum. He made it look easy - but I am sure it was not. The cuts were very precise - he did a great job with it. I will look around for the thread...

lol thats what got me exited,i saw that off the mercs thread,looks so easy i just wasnt sure how to go about cuting it out and such

i was thinking of doing what darkside sith lord did and use and already formed helmet and modifying that to fit the rest or just being really precise when useing the WOFdome template lol

I'd make your dome with fiberglass, then use the aluminum for the rest...because getting the dome perfect out of aluminum is going to be killer hard...

Guys! I saw this on a cartoon. It's easy, you just have a friend hit you on the head with a frying pan. It will bend into a perfect form around your head!

Ok, don't try that. :D
I would say find an already made helmet to take the dome from, or find something to modify. The whole idea of doing it in metal is because its metal! If you did part of it in fiberglass, it's just not the same.(not ripping your idea apart, A'den Kyramud) If you go metal, then take it all the way, IMO.

out of aluminum, but I've never worked with aluminum and I was wondering if anyone knew what materials id need,besides gloves lmao no one wants to lose a pinky for being stupid lol But yeah any recomendations or advice?
Any help will be appreciated thanks everyone!

You're going to need some sort of form to hammer your aluminum on and shape into a dome. From what I've seen of armorers at work they typically use a log or piece of wood that has been dished out and they hammer the metal into the indentation to form the shape. Or you could try an English wheel but that might be a bit of an investment and looks to take a lot of skill to use properly. You'll also probably need some something to weld the pieces of the helmet together unless you plan on trying to forge it from a single piece of metal which might be a tad difficult to do. Latsly. you're also going to need a lot of patience since, from what I've seen, handworking metal is a very time consuming process.

Best of luck on this project, if you do decide to go ahead with it be sure to post plenty of pics and keep us updated on your progress.

When you hammer a piece of metal, what you are actually doing is stretching the metal, and if you stretch it too much you end up punching holes in it with your hammer.
I'd go with a multi-piece dome, like this:
http://www.scandinavianheritage.com/images/p32-viking-helmet.gif
It'd make the process much easier.

Another idea I had was to use the WOF templates, cut out the metal, weld it together, grind off the excess, then polish...just a thought:D:cheers

Guys! I saw this on a cartoon. It's easy, you just have a friend hit you on the head with a frying pan. It will bend into a perfect form around your head!

Ok, don't try that. :D
I would say find an already made helmet to take the dome from, or find something to modify. The whole idea of doing it in metal is because its metal! If you did part of it in fiberglass, it's just not the same.(not ripping your idea apart, A'den Kyramud) If you go metal, then take it all the way, IMO.

That's how I made my dome!!! :lol:lol::lol:
Yeah, the fiberglass does defeat the purpose...:eek::D

I'm gonna love watching the progress thread for this!!!:cheers

A'den

Last edited by a moderator:
lol its not confirmed yet but its looking like a possibility i think im going to use aluminum and maybe do stips of it for the dome,like uh how to explain this...im thinking of cutting two strips and arching them to make a skeletal structure for the dome and then maybe sintra pieces to fill it in and fiberglass and bondo to make it tougher....or i may just buy a bucket lol but i know for sure that i want to do this project but there are things i have to take into account:

1. i have never worked with aluminum
2. never used fiberglass
3.never used bondo

so im kinda S.O.L lol cuz i dont want to shell out the creds for the materials and waste it,make sense?
but ive seen it done so i know it can be done,im planning on upgradeing my armor to metal thats my plan so i may start with the armor and go for the bucket last but ill let everyone know my plans!!!! if anyone else has any advise let me know im def gonna need help on this lmao im no Novall lol im a n00b to metal working haha:lol:lol::lol:lol:

I didn't research it at all, but today at work, I went into the kitchen and saw a set of metal bowls that were "nested". basically 5 bowls, each one slightly smaller than the next. They were almost exactly the right shape, and a great variety of size. I"m sure there are other brands that could be even better. Just an idea...

haha well ill be sure to make sure theres no soup in my bucket befiol i put it on but i can see how haveing a bowl as the dome may be usful in the future.......hmmmmmmmm muahahahaha!!!!!1

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back