Ralph McQuarrie Concept Boba Fett project

Something which has fascinated me eversince I first saw this drawing, I still would have preferred Boba Fett looking like this in the Movies, maybe not totally in white and grey, the tubing for instance to me makes more sense as functionality, also this concept has something insectlike to me , a bit more mystirious-like.Don't get me wrong please, Boba Fett like he is in the movies is awesome in so many ways to me, but it's a pitty Ralph McQuarrie's concepts didn't make it in the movies.I like what Kevin Weir (also Sky Gun Bro) is doing know with the concept stormtroopers, so I hope the rest of the concept characters will see the light of day soon or in the near future.

Boba-Fett-Ralph-McQuarrie-Concept-Art-0132_zps2e30eea8.jpg

I'm starting a Boba Fett Utility/Missile pack project, scratch-building it, to see if I can put something together.If it works out I will try to build the chest and backarmor, was thinking about using trash-cans and shaping them around a mannequin, a mannequin almost has the right shape, which I could work with.I would do this with heat-dryer, I have precision parts for it so I can concentrate on smaller details easier. I like how the chestarmor looks, it wouldn't have to be that difficult to shape.

Here's my proggress so far

IMG_0989_zpsa5605b8e.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I know about sombody who made the chest/backarmor, but I've started my own full armor and Jet-pack project.

IMG_0996_zps437dd480.jpg

Today's progress, detailing the side of the missile/dart pod, next week i'm going to try and detail the front of the pack, so I can begin to add the back-side.

You are right! The fact that others already did/do this, doesn't mean that you can't start your own project and build.

So far it looks great! Keep up the excellent work and have fun with the build!

Thanks guys, the support means a lot :) .

Next week I'm going to start trying to heatform (instead of vaccuumforming) the basis of the chest armor ( the collar I will build seperately from the rest), for this I'm going to use a manequin, removing the detachable torso.The material I will be using is a plastic garbage can , the same stuff Mandalorian armor can be made out of.I'm using a Hot air gun to try and do this,the heat can be fully adjusted (digitally), so with enough heat I could form the plastic mannually over the manequin's torso.The main curved/most difficult part of the armor is the chest anyway, the rib part can be formed with a piece of wood are something else that can withstand heat enough.

I'm going to do some tryout examples , will post my tryout parts here, to keep you posted.

IMG_1130_zpscb43ab61.jpg

Some proggress done, I'm not going to overdo on detail, not yet atleast.I'm satisfied with the lower tubing so far, like the way it is.

As for the armor, I'm going for sheets of PS ( Polystyrene) instead, will use paper/cardboard as testing material.

It weighs about 1,7 kilograms, I will make the pack fit through the back-piece,I'm using kneeprotection as cushions to rest against my back, the harnass will support the weight of the pack, for the pack I've calculated around 4 to 5 kilogramms.

Further proggress on the jet-pack is on hold untill my chest and backpiece are finished, but did get my SGB helmet-kit in the meantime, had to fabricate the Rangefinder-stalk myself, for obvious reasons, so it might look a bit "custom made", at least the other greeblies were included.

Here's my proggress on the helmet, I won't use battle damage on it as the picture only suggests dust weathering, to me at least.

IMG_1215_zps047e259d.jpg

IMG_1213_zps9dd3dfb4.jpg

100_1043_zpscddd37b9.jpg

100_1045_zps4eb6dde5.jpg

I might give the whole costume a thin brownish-yellow dust , but I need to see the complete outcome first, before deciding on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude....Holy....
Are you gonna be offering the helmet by any chance? That thing is NICE. Very well done! Glad to see that you're still moving forward with this project (y)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back