Hello from Maryland!

bcurtis

Active Hunter
Hello everyone! My name is Bryan and I'm new around these parts. I just officially joined today although I have stopped in on several occasions over the last several years. I suppose I would just like to introduce myself and tell you all a little bit about me. I am 37 years old, married, and have a great dog (that I tried to name 'Boba' but my wife wasn't having it, so we ended up with 'Bronte'). I went back to school a while ago to pursue a career in education. This spring I will graduate with a degree in middle school mathematics and science education. My favorite hobby is astronomy. I have a 14" Schmidt Cassegrain telescope that I absolutely love and I get it outside as often as I can. I do a lot of public outreach and education about astronomy. Some of my other hobbies are photography, learning about quantum physics, building custom LED lightsabers, and cyclocross.

The other great obsession I have had since I was a small child has been Star Wars. Like many of you most likely, I have been infatuated with this fantastic space-western for longer than I can remember. I have always been a Luke Skywalker guy. So much so that I made a ROTJ Luke costume and got approved by The Rebel Legion a little while ago. Although I identify with Luke's character, I have ALWAYS been fascinated by Boba Fett. Out of all of my Star Wars memorabilia, Boba Fett outnumbers any other character. Like I said above, I have visited TDH several times and I am always blown away at the level of detail and workmanship of the costumes here. I finally decided that I HAD to build my own when I was at CVI last year in Orlando. Seeing all of the Mercs there was AWESOME! I'm sure several of you were there. I was really drawn to how close-knit all of the mercs seemed. It was like a family of outlaws and it really had a great impression on me. Anyhow, this is getting a little long so I'll wrap it up. I just want to say that I'm really happy to be here and I look forward to getting to know you all. I have a lot of reading to do. I want to eventually build my own ESB Boba Fett since that has always been my favorite version. Well, I'm gonna get started! Thanks for reading!

Bryan

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! So...is there a recommended area to start reading such as a set of stickied threads for beginners? What do you all recommend? This is all new to me. My skills are in electronic props, not armor. Any direction would be appreciated.

Another mid-Atlantic Fett fan! (y)

Bryan, there are so many different aspects of Boba Fett's costume that it's hard to recommend a
single thread, or even a single section of TDH to begin with. If you're experienced already with
electronics, you might try looking at threads in the helmet forum for info on lighting or motorized
servos for the range finder. Or you could look thru the armor forum and see what people have done
to light their chest displays. Those threads will lead you to others, and so on.

Or if you're interested in beginning with a certain portion of the costume, like a helmet, or even
a pair of boots, you can search for those types of keywords.

Check out the reference gallery too. There are tons of great ESB reference shots!
Have fun and welcome to TDH.

Thanks superjedi! I see you're in Newport News. That's where I lived for the first few years of my life. My family lives in the Stafford/Fredericksburg area now. I like the idea of starting with one aspect of the Fett costume and focusing on that. I think I'll start with the helmet. I want to build an ESB Fett.

Welcome fellow Marylander. I am up the road near aberdeen and working on a ROTJ myself, feel free to check out my WIP. I am also the GML for the MD 501st Garrison so if that is your plan, i will be the one to approve or recommend changes. I would be happy to help in anyway that i can. Also, Vultana on the boards here has a great looking Jango Fett and is working on an ESB Boba as well and he is in Old Line Garrison as well. You mentioned the Mercs, Vultana and I are also mercs and we are trying to start a Clan for this area. If you would like to try a merc first to get a feel for the build process and you can afford it(merc is a lot cheaper than Boba, less headaches, and more personalized), then I would be happy to help with that as well. Im also sending you a PM about an upcoming armor party.

That sounds great! I'd love to come to the armor party. It would be a great opportunity to meet some of you guys and to check out what I'll be getting myself into.

Not sure how I missed this thread, but welcome Bryan! I am also doing an ESB Fett here in Maryland and have already completed Jango & custom merc. Let me know if you need anything.

Welcome to the TDH! I am new also, to costuming and to this forum, but the people here are very helpful and the wealth of info is amazing. You are in the right place. Good luck with the build!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back