Boba Fett Balaclava

BooBoo Fett

Active Hunter
I have seen the photos and some of the discussions about Boba Fett's balaclava and its construction. I do see the chin strap and it makes sense that the chin strap would originate on the balaclava and loop through rings on the helmet. This would hold both items securely to the head. What I have not seen discussed is the flap (yellow outlined in the attached photos) clearly seen in the photos.http://www.nextag.com/norob/PtitleS...5x3jbB16yJi4P9L5W08Hu0keeQ==&ptitle=541565405

A Velcro edge, perpendicular to the flap, is clearly visible. This would completely hide the helmet wearers face once the Velcro was secured inside the lower edge of the helmet.

Is this old news on a thread I have not found yet?

Thanks all!

Fett Hood.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a thread I've been waiting for. I have seen that photo before, but believed that the flap is merely a chin cover. There is another picture of Don Bies wearing a similar balaclava during the filming of ROTJ SE, but the velcro flap you mentioned wasn't there.

What I had planned was getting a polyester material, drawing a template using the base of the helmet, cutting the shape and affixing velcro to the edges. Once it's in place, I would mark the approximate center where my neck would emerge from the helmet, sew in a circle of elastic strap and cut the material away from the hole, thus making a "seal". This would firmly surround my neck, sealing off the helmet from outside view.

The only problem with this is that it would be pretty warm in there with no airflow (I have no fans in my bucket.) The polyster is pretty breathable, though.

Any other ideas out there?

What you have outlined kind of looks like it is just the neckseal, however this is hard to believe since the neckseal is closed in the front. Hey Art, where you at, man?? haha

The bottom left picture shows, what I believe, where the flap is connected via velcro to hide the chin from spying Jawas, thus adding to the mystery.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back