Hello! Old SW fan...New Costumer

TommyD

Jr Hunter
Like alot of people I have been a lurker here for a few years. It seems like now is the time that I jumped in and started getting to work on my suit.

I have 2 different concepts for Mando armor that I would like to try out but I am at a loss for time and space to build anything from scratch. So in the meantime I was going to start building a RotJ Fett.

I am going to order many of the parts from Bobamaker. I am an artist and I am looking forward to painting and weathering. While I am a wizard with paint and pencil I can't sculpt to save my life. So I will have to leave it to the talented SW fans out there to do that.

Of course I will need lots of help from all of the DH pros! But I promise to search to forums to the best of my ability before I start asking noob questions (y)

One thing does trouble me. It seems that I may have waited too long to start building. While most of the hard and soft parts still seem to be available, the shoes, chest lights, and capes seem to be very hard to find these days. I'll start digging into the forums but if anyone has some info please let me know.

Sorry for the longwinded intro. I'm just really excited to get started (y)

I like the word 'old' - nothing wrong with that. welcome welcome welcome, the TDH will prob end up a regular haunt now that you are in the building accumulation phase
I waited a long time before diving in, although it may seem weird for a middle-aged man to get into this, it does mean, I have a bit more disposable cash to buy the stuff I want to!!

chest lights - cant help there mate, but I am sure some one will chime in
capes - check out woodman. think bobby fett was selling one a while back (and he is in UK). Shoes - no problem; Man of War is the man you seek for a nice pair. Obsviouly for all your metal work upgrades and hyperaccuracy, check out my main man MOJO-FETT!!!! lol

also great to see more European costumers coming out of the wood works

chest lights - gotta go with fettronics, check out his website fettronics.com

the cape and shoes, i'm going to agree with heatshock, the two he mentioned are great makers and while you're at it, get the wookiee braids from woodman as well as the cape.

Wow that was some quick responding!! Thank you both for the warm greetings.

I haven't hit middle age yet (37) but I'm getting there. And I love the fact that I'll eventually be able to wander around in a full Fett suit and embarrass my children. But they've all been raised on SW (of course) so they will most likely want to get into it. My son is 16 and nearly as tall as me so I'm sure he'll be wanting to jump into the geekery at some point.

I'll start checking on these recommendations. I assume just shoot them a PM?

Through my own noobish research I have found that Bobamaker has a pretty good selection of parts. Is it safe to assume that I can get equal/better quality from other members of the forum?

You mentioned metal work upgrades...are you referring to the the toespikes, dart launchers, and gauntlet bits? Or are there other upgrades I need to know about?

Also...any advice on where to start? I was thinking of getting the flight suit and flack vest first (mostly so I can run around the house in them)

Thanks again for all the support!! It's great to finally make it to TDH!

that's pretty much exactly what he meant by metal bits. and for a good place to start... well, that's pretty much up to you. a lot of guys start with the helmet and from there it's a trial by fire if they can or can't paint that. i was one of the lucky ones that was able to paint my helmet as the first part of my armor.

After going over a few helmet paint threads I think that's probably the way to go. It seems the most complex part of the build. And while I had my heart set on the ROTJ build, the more I look at the amount of "seasoning" the ESB helmet has the more plain the ROTJ helmet looks to me. So really it all comes down to the helmet. Do I want the ESB Hero look or the ROTJ Hero look. I've never been a fan of the blue flight suit of the ESB. lol decisions discussions!

go pure rotj! the rotj is a lot more complex than you might think, and i love it. i've done three so far, and i'm waiting for my mr-proto so i can paint a fourth jedi helmet! wheeeeeeee!!!!

I just threw in the ROTJ/SE and I noticed that in the newly added scene where Boba is flirting with the dancers he is indeed wearing an ESB helmet. But you're right. If I'm going to do a suit from a particular film it should be true to that film. I can always build a custom Mando later and make his bucket as mangled up as I want.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back