Anduril's Jango Build

Anduril

New Hunter
I've been working on this for about a week now so I thought I had better start up my progress thread. :)

I recieved my awesome CC Asok Helmet last week to start off the build so I jumped right into it and started sanding it.
Here's the helmet after the initial sand up to 400 grit:

DSC09033.gif

I'd also filled in some little imperfections in the helmet with some body filler which were all luckily contained within areas that will be painted so I didn't have to worry about anything serious on the visible cold cast areas.

I left the Visor and back section in while I sanded so it would stay stable and solid so I didn't risk cracking or breaking it while sanding it because I've seen a few people here mention fractures that have happened during this stage of their helmet build.

So here's the helmet after I've gone over it with 400, 800 and 1200 grit sandpaper, then I buffed it out with some 000 grade wire wool. After that was done I went and cut out the visor section and the rectangle at the back for the coin slots.

Coin slot insert also sanded and buffed with the wool:

DSC09038.gif

DSC09041.gif

DSC09040.gif

DSC09039.gif

It's really got that metallic look now and I can't wait to give it that coat of metal polish to really shine it up. I really like the way saintnasty's helmet turned out in his progress thread so I dropped by a local automotive store and there was some "Meguiar's Metal Polish" sitting on a shelf so a grabbed some of that and now I'm just deciding whether to polish it up before or after painting. I'm not sure if the masking tape will leave marks or not but I guess I can always buff them out.

So I just need to tidy up the cut-out parts because, as you can see the inside layers of resin are a bit uneven so I just need to do a bit of sanding and filing and then I should be good to start the painting:

DSC09045.gif

I'm having a bit of trouble locating the paints locally though.
The reccomended colours I've seen mentioned are Krylon "Ocean Blue" and Rustoluem "Royal Blue". I know Krylon isn't readily available here in Australia but I've managed to find another blue that's a pretty close match to the Krylon blue so I'll give that a go and see how it turns out.
I am having trouble finding a darker blue in place of the Rustloleum blue that looks right. I know I've seen Rustoleum paints around here before, I've even got a half empty can of it in black in the garage but it looks like it's vanished from everywhere after checking out about five different hardware and paint stores around town this afternoon.

I guess all I can do keep looking...

I might clean up the ear and rangfinder parts if I get a chance tomorrow but I'll probably be occupied all weekend with The Old Republic Beta weekend so there might not be an update til next week on this.:rolleyes

So far so good but there's a long road ahead still! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm glad you found one of my many build threads to be helpful! you're looking good so far.

@ saint_nasty: Thanks, you've got lots of great info for people starting out on this build :)

@ SNOWAURE: Nice tutorial, thanks for the link, I'm sure it will come in handy!

I havn't got around to doing much more on this lately being that busy time of the year, though I have just made a start on modding some Rubies Westar-34 blasters. I've just 'disected' them so far and bought the pvc pipe to extend the barrel with. I've also sanded back the text on the grips and the fake plastic rivets which I plan to replace with real ones once its all painted up.

I havn't forgotten about the helmet though! After a lot of looking around and emailing I've pretty much lost any hope of getting Krylon or Rust-oleum brand paints locally so I picked up a couple of substitutes. They aren't perfect but it's the closest I've found in my area so I hope it's passable. Just want to get some advice from you guys before putting the paint onto the helmet.

So here's a sample I sprayed up today of both colours:

DSC09050.gif

The darker blue is called "Marine Blue" and the liighter one is "Bermuda Blue".

Let me know what you guys think. If it gets a pass I can always sand the whole helmet back and start again if I end up finding something better further down the track.

Hi man, the colors looks great!!!!!!! is fine!!!!!!!! I used this 2 tones:

HELMETCOLORTEST1311011.jpg

I used: Blue royal (your bermuda) and blue navy (your marine)

keep working (y)

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I got back into this build over the last week by getting some painting on the bucket started.

I masked off all the areas that needed to keep that nice metallic cold-cast look with some painters tape:

DSC09078.gif

Then gave it a coat of primer and waited a day for it to dry (Sorry for the blurry image):

DSC09080.gif

The next part was to add a few coats of the the darker Marine blue, then I waited a couple of days before masking over it with more tape to mark out where to paint on the Bermuda blue colour:

DSC09081.gif

This morning I started by spraying some nice even coats of the Bermuda blue over where it needed to go:

DSC09086.gif

Tonight I peeled off the layers and layers of tape ending up with this:

DSC09089.gif

DSC09088.gif

DSC09091.gif

DSC09090.gif

It's starting to look like a Jango now, just needs a few touch-ups here and there. :)
I've made up a pattern for the Visor so I'll cut that out this week and pop that in along with some weathering and polish over the metal areas.

I've also started to clean up the right ear and RF topper so I'll get to painting them at some point this week too.

Nice! I'm almost at the point where I can paint. Having to bondo a few areas that had dents (and a huge air bubble), then cut out the visor and paint...can't wait to get to that point!

Paint looks great on yours, what colors did you use?

Edit: never mind....read the earlier posts and saw.

1) Nice work you have doing Anduril (level 1 man!), just publish later how you gonna put the back plate of the helmet (the air window).
I dont see it...........

2) What type of work you gonna do it to the inside of he helmet??

It's been a while since I've made any progress on this but I've got some to show off now. :)

After my last update I went on to add the visor and snapped it in half while cutting it halting my progress on the helmet. Since then I've been getting right into my Boromir build which has been taking up most of my time but I ordered a new welding visor cheap off amazon and it arrived last week so I've been motivated to finish the bucket off. :D

So last night I cut and inserted the new visor, added the pinstriping to the dome and tonight I drilled holes and screwed on the Ear and Rangefinder. I made them removable using saint_nasty's tutorial so I can transport it without worrying it will break off and also because I have a remote control RF kit I picked up and want to rig that up when I get a correct ear and RF stalk(The Asok kit seems like it wont work for that so If anyone knows of any that would work for the RC stuff let me know:)).

I also padded the interior and gave the metal parts a polish with some of that Meguiar's Motorcycle Metal Polish.

Here's the helmet before polishing:
DSC09186.gif

And the Helmet after polishing:
DSC09189.gif

DSC09190.gif

It makes it look so much smoother and shinier, I'm really happy with how it's all come out so far.

All it needs now is a little weathering and I have one of Chucko's helmet skirts ordered so that will finish it off nicely and accurately, cutting off airflow but stopping anyone looking up from the bottom of my helmet when it's on. ;)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back