Was the ESB Helmet Warped Post-Filming?

Baruopa

Jr Hunter
I understand the ESB helmet underwent a lot if damage between filming and the SE state it's in today, just wondering if it's all surface damage or if some of the bigger cracks have actually warped the shape of the helmet, ie. if you lined the SE helmet up with the ESB version, would they match in shape? I've got an RS casting on the way I plan on restoring to ESB state, and am wondering if that entails re-shaping the helmet rather than just filling and repairing cracks. Thanks!

I understand the ESB helmet underwent a lot if damage between filming and the SE state it's in today, just wondering if it's all surface damage or if some of the bigger cracks have actually warped the shape of the helmet, ie. if you lined the SE helmet up with the ESB version, would they match in shape? I've got an RS casting on the way I plan on restoring to ESB state, and am wondering if that entails re-shaping the helmet rather than just filling and repairing cracks. Thanks!
boba87fett did a similar conversion. He may have some insight on that question.

When you compare exhibit photosof the helmet to ESB publicity photos and screen grabs, you’ll see a lot of surface scratches that should be repaired and filled, and the crack on the left temple does seem to have an affect on the overall shape of the helmet. Ord Mantell did a very detailed restoration of his MCR helmet, and in addition to repairing the crack he makes a compelling case for reshaping the helmet slightly to match its on screen appearance:
WIP: ESB build after a decade 'on hold'

The helmet was visibly damaged when filming Empire Strikes Back. The bump on the left cheek, the small crack running down the left outer mandible, the large bump/crack on the left back panel, and the crack in the bow which makes it look wavy along with the damage starting to crack on the right inner mandible by the visor which was hastily repaired for SE filming. Obviously the SE experienced damage and additional paint/markings between use but you can see that physical damage was present for ESB filming.

Seems to be agreed that it was. I have a fiberglass helmet. One day I pushed down on the chin to see if the widening at the bottom it caused looked better. It cracked in the same area as the screen helmet. It also lowered the right eye in the same way way the screen helmet is. I am convinced. Doing this also created a flatter face like we on Fett in ESB.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back