String or no string on the ammo belt?

Dreadnought

Jr Hunter
Hi all, I've just received my leather ammo belt from Bobamaker and it is amazing. It came with the 8 pouches separate to the actual belt - it's just a matter of sliding them on. I was concerned I might have to put some Velcro on the back of the first and last pouches to keep them all from sliding around but they seem, for the moment at least, quite snug. I put them on in such a way so as to have the grommet end of the belt on the left, like in this photo:

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/gallery/showfull.php?photo=9030

Although I'm sure I have seen photos with the grommet end on the other side. I might still do some weathering on the belt - just enough to look like an experienced bounty hunter's belt but not too much to compromise the belt's integrity. I have seen exhibition photos of the belt that includes what appears to be a leather string or strip through the grommets, as shown here:

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/gallery/showfull.php?photo=5687

I'm wondering if this string is required? I've seen photos with and without it, so I'm not sure if I should be trying to source something. Is it just an anomaly seen in some exhibition photos? If it is needed, what have others used?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's an interesting photo my friend it looks like the 6 holes where the Gromments on the ammo belt are. I do know for a fact your not going to remove those.

Yes, the grommets do appear to be missing in the second photo, I possibly could have found a better example. But I was more concerned about the piece of leather string or tie.

Hey man. You are correct in that the grommets should be on the left side. The second picture shown is with the string but is the side that goes behind the grommets. The string would get looped through the left side and tied properly. This wouldn't be the first time the exhibit piece was setup incorrectly.

I use the string on my belt....it actually comes with the MOW ROTJ belt. But I tied it in a way for it to be visible in the outside without having to loop it just to tie it. I'll grab a photo to explain better

Cheers Aaron, as always you are the man! I actually looked at one of your submission photos that showed the belt string, and the fact that the grommets are on the left. There's no doubt your submission photos are a handy reference resource for me on my build! I reckon I'll be able to pick up a strand of leather offcut from my local fabric store.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back