Star Wars ESB 'Time Capsule' Discovered

I'll have more to share soon. The craziest part of all this is that it was found in an old storage unit in downtown Los Angeles... no lie. It was about to become trash, but my bro saved it! There's more to the story, but he's trying to research a line of ownership to determine why it was there and who decided to abandon it. He thinks it has something to do with either the publishing of Marvel Star Wars comics or with the development of The Art of the Empire Strikes Back book back in 79 or 80

But, I still welcome any feed back. Has anyone ever seen these before? Has anyone ever heard of 'Boba Fett's Gang'? I think this could add some depth to ESB and possibly give an idea of where the story might have been going at one point. Also, since a lot of the old Mcquarrie sketches are turning into reality in the new film and Star Wars Rebels show, who knows if these gang members end up in the new BF feature film? Anyhow, I'm glad I could finally contribute something back to the TDH family.

I wonder if "Boba Fett's Gang" could be early concept for the bounty hunter scene on the star destroyer. Either way, it's an amazing find.

I'll have more to share soon. The craziest part of all this is that it was found in an old storage unit in downtown Los Angeles... no lie. It was about to become trash, but my bro saved it! There's more to the story, but he's trying to research a line of ownership to determine why it was there and who decided to abandon it. He thinks it has something to do with either the publishing of Marvel Star Wars comics or with the development of The Art of the Empire Strikes Back book back in 79 or 80

That is amazing! Please keep us posted if you find out who owned it.

It's definitely affiliated with Marvel. My Brother has a bunch of comics that are draft copies. These are original, they have handwritten notes in all of them correcting typos and altering the story line. I think that LFL sent a bunch of unused McQuarrie sketches to Marvel's artists to use as reference for background characters and an overall style. I just got a bunch of pictures of the comic covers come over. I'll post them ASAP. But, it looks like this storage unit is tied to a previous Marvel employed tenants. Along with all of this stuff was early 80's computers and printing equipment. Stuff not affordable to the general public due to the cost at the time. I also confirmed with my Bro... who is an illustrator as well, that he believes these are high end copies of the original sketches. He's an artist and he said there is no 'push through' on the back of these, so he's pretty sure they were copied. However, the type of copy and the quality of paper makes him think this was done from the originals by LFL for a production meeting at Marvel for the comics. Of course that's big time speculation, but the quality of the copies and the age of the stuff in the storage unit kind of lean themselves in that direction. Also, he sent me this article he found which talks a lot of Lucas and Marvel's collaboration, even before ANH. Check it out...
A really long time ago, Marvel played fast and loose with Star Wars · For Our Consideration · The A.V. Club

The names mentioned in this article are the same names handwritten on the comic book drafts. Whatdyathink?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and the letterhead that reads 'Star Wars Corporation'? That predates the Lucasfilm name as far as I can tell.

I can't believe how lucky he is. Seriously. I'm glad for him, he has bad luck all the time; loses his wallet, wrecks his cars, whatever, if it can go wrong, it does. He's the King of Murphy's Law! But he hit the Star Wars jackpot the other day. Maybe not in cash value, but in coolness, definitely! He's a great and sincere guy... and thankfully for all of us, he's a massive Star Wars fan!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back