Sizing for my scratch build

Malaxor

New Hunter
Hello everyone. So, I created a quick cardboard helmet with the WOF template to see how everything goes together and to test sizing before I start my for-real build. Glad I did because I really think I need to blow-up the templates a bit more to get a good fit. While I can get this one on, my glasses are touching the edge and my nose would be up against the T-visor if it were there. Not sure you can really see it in the pic below (kinda small).

Size_Test2.jpg

I noticed also that the scaling in acrobat reader is a little different (1%) depending on the printer I pick. I think I can manually scale it maybe 2% more and not print off the margins. Anyone have similar problems with glasses? I'm just not a contact person and I don't think I'm going to get a prescription visor :) I actually that extra 3% I can get might make a big difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
After some trial and error, switching printers and playing with print settings...I was able to get the scaling to go from 40% to 42%, which makes the dome base almost 1/4" larger all around. I think that will fix my issue. You can see my original default print compared to my adjusted print. Now on to the real build...

template_scaling_small.jpg

As a follow-up, I've been working on my actual build-up now (soon to be posted in a new WIP threat, complete with pictures), but I thought I'd post the final print settings that worked for me:

helmet templates (pdf letter): 41% on an epson workforce printer (this is equivalent to the 42% on the other printer I have...but it kept printing off the margins at that setting)
helmet dome templates (pdf letter): 103% on same printer

Note that the defaults were 40% and 97% respectively when I open the pdf (picking the laser . I originally tried a simple 100% scale on the some templates, but that literally ended up about 3/4" short around the base of the helmet. 103% worked perfectly. I'll show all the details on my WIP thread to be posted shortly.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back