My Re-Carded Star Wars The Force Awakens Figures - Retro Style!

azheat01

Active Hunter
Wanted to post this here earlier but been busy lately trying to finish the home theater.

I've always liked the vintage figure cards and decided I wanted to take a few select TFA 3.75" figures and re-design / re-card them. I think they'd look good with my vintage collection. This was my first test piece. I like the retro style with a photo as opposed to the illustrations they use now.

I need to make a few corrections like:

1) The number in the upper left hand corner is actually a Fett number, so I need to change that.
2) I need to fix the "S" in Wars. I wanted to add "The Force Awakens" between "Star" and "Wars" but I messed up the lining. So, I have some re-sizing / adjusting to do.
3) I'm still undecided if I want to Photoshop in the new figures on the back or just leave the vintage 21-back.
4) I think I'll leave the blaster in hand when I redo this, since the vintage Stormtrooper wasn't one where it was taped to the bubble.

I won't do every figure, just some of my favorites. Here's a look.........

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.JPG

After looking at the first card, I decided to adjust "WARS" so that there was no step in the "S". I just widened the gap and adjusted the two rounded banner corners. Below are the first three figures I'll do. I changed the figure "No." in the top left hand corner to reflect the current figure numbers and tried to match the color panels with the original figure colors although they are off a little. I added the "Kenner" and "LP" logos to the bottom, added the "Price" panel to the top left hand corner, and added the copyright and text info under the Kenner logo as well as in between the figure name and the "Star Wars" header.

I wasn't sure I wanted the Poe Dameron photo I ended up using, but after looking at the vintage Luke X-Wing card and seeing how he was on the X-Wing as well, it was only fitting to use this photo. It's growing on me.

These are all low res proof prints. I lost count of how many hours in Photoshop I have with these, but I think they look great. They'll display nicely in my SW room with my vintage figures. I saved my master image as a template so now all I have to do is quickly change the photo, background color, and text and can easily do several other figures.

I'm just about ready to finish these three, although I think I am going to change the reverse side to the original 12-back instead of 21.

If there is any interest, I may end up doing a run of these, not sure yet.

Figs.jpg

Figured I'd work on a couple more of these before I start mounting the bubbles and figures, but need some suggestions:

BB-8........in motion or static?

BB.JPG

Which Tie Fighter Pilot? I like the 1st, even though the focus appears more on the Falcon. It kind of reminds me of the original Tie fighter pilot card in that there were Ties chasing the Falcon.

Tie.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Figured I'd work on a couple more of these before I start mounting the bubbles and figures, but need some suggestions:

BB-8........in motion or static?

View attachment 93835

Which Tie Fighter Pilot? I like the 1st, even though the focus appears more on the Falcon. It kind of reminds me of the original Tie fighter pilot card in that there were Ties chasing the Falcon.

View attachment 93836
I like the static BB8. shows more detail. Are you going to offer some off these?

Sent from my SM-N910P

I like the static BB8. shows more detail. Are you going to offer some off these?

Sent from my SM-N910P

Thanks for the input, I'm actually leaning more to the BB-8 in motion, kind of reminds me of some of the old vintage card photos that were just direct shots from the movie. I may offer these up if there is enough interest.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back