My New Star Wars Home Theater - Death Star Hangar

this is what im trying to build. what is the best way to make the light panels? and is there a template ?

Capture234.JPG

Impressive...most impressive!

I've recently begun planning something very similar and just stumbled across this thread. I've actually been considering a 1/4" hardboard for my wall panels, but the way your melamine boards turned out has me rethinking that a little bit. Now i'm thinking 1/2" melamine.

How large is this room? the space I'm planning for is roughly 16' x 12.5' and it looks like this may be similar...

did you make your panels yet what did you use as i am considering using hard board at the moment i think like 1/8 is what they have and i have about 4" for difussion

did you make your panels yet what did you use as i am considering using hard board at the moment i think like 1/8 is what they have and i have about 4" for difussion

I did. I ended up using 1/4" tempered hardboard from Home Depot. I added a couple of photos here...

IMG_9949.JPG

IMG_9951.JPG

I also added another touch on the corner...

Put my Vader costume on a mannequin. I think it turned out pretty well. (Also added a photo of me last year with my BiL who was dressed as Voldemort)

IMG_0091.JPG

IMG_0092.JPG

Been off the boards for a while, working on some home projects, one of which is my new Star Wars home theater. My old "mini theater" was getting too cramped so I decided to convert the loft into a larger theater. Sorry if you've attempted to look at some of my older threads, I recently switched web hosting companies so my old photos are mostly off-line at the moment, I'll work on putting those up next.

I'm going to try and make this room look like the inside of a Death Star bay / hallway / hangar. I'm not specifically trying to copy any exact image, just the idea.

Here is the loft prior to starting, put in some new gray carpet and started priming the walls to cover the old color.

View attachment 51212

View attachment 51213

I painted the front wall and ceiling black, mounted the new fans, projector, and screen. I'm running an Epson Optoma 3500. I was skeptical about getting a projector, but I wanted something larger for the room and still wanted 3D. For the price, I am incredibly happy. There was a lot of great feedback on this projector. The screen is 120".

View attachment 51214

I wanted the room to look like you were in the hanger looking out, so I started framing the side walls and making the front wall look like a bay door.

View attachment 51216

View attachment 51217

View attachment 51218

I'm going to paint the projector screen housing black along with the wire covers and control box. I also added a strip of blue LEDs that work off a remote.

View attachment 51219

Started installing the panels, slots will be cut out for the windows and there will be hinged panels covering them so they can be easily opened.

View attachment 51220

This room is bigger than my previous room, about 5' wider and 7' longer. I plan on putting some x-wings and tie fighters on the front wall, battling it out. Maybe some of those Fathead decals, not sure yet. So far this has been quite the project, especially since my carpentry skills suck.

- - - Updated - - -

I also worked on the two slotted wall pieces that will be back lit. I used 1/2" MDF for those.

View attachment 139288

To illuminate these I am using two, 4' LED light strips. Lowe's sells these but they aren't cheap, $40 per strip. I wanted to use 4 strips per panel, but just wasn't going to spend that kind of money. There may be other alternatives to this type of lighting, I just went with what was available locally. I also wanted LEDs so I didn't have to change bulbs and to reduce the heat.

Since I am only using two lights per panel, I decided to cover the wall area with aluminum foil to help with light reflection. I tested the panel against a white wall and with the foil and the foil did help reflect the light once the panel was installed. The lights run off a light switch so that I can turn them on as soon as I enter the room. The good thing about putting this theater room upstairs was that I had easy access to the attic. So I was able to run an extension cord through the ceiling to power both panels with one switch. I was able to completely hide all wires, so I am happy with how it came out.

View attachment 139289

View attachment 139290

- - - Updated - - -

I got the last of the panels up today, finally. These were such a pain, lugging each 4' x 8' sheet up the stairs. I still have a few more screws to put in and some minor adjusting. I'm going to start working on the detail layers now. I picked up several lengths of 5/8" MDF trim and a few more panels to cut. I want to get all those pieces in place, fill in the gaps with caulk, then start painting. I'm anxious to get the speakers hooked up, I haven't seen LOTR BOTFA yet, I'm holding out until this room is done!

View attachment 51221

View attachment 51222

View attachment 51223

View attachment 51224

View attachment 51215

View attachment 51212

View attachment 51213

View attachment 51214

View attachment 51216

View attachment 51217

View attachment 51218

View attachment 51219

View attachment 51220

View attachment 51221

View attachment 51222

View attachment 51223

View attachment 51224

What kind of wood did you use for those wall panels? I’m having trouble finding something that would work.

Sorry all, been off this board for a while...........

how did you power the LED strips in the wall? thanks!

I powered the strips with an existing outlet that is controlled by one of the light switches. I just ran an extension cord through the attic. These are LEDs so they don't consume a lot of power.

I also completed another life-sized figure, a Rogue One Shoretrooper. Here he is in my theater room..................

attachment.jpg

And I've also made a few other minor updates like these lights on my display cabinets.........

attachment.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back