General My halloween cotume ESB Boba Fett build.

Gregory

Active Hunter
When I was 12 I made a Boba Fett costume using paper maché and illustration board. I decided some months ago to do it again as an adult but this year I cheated and downloaded the excellent paper patterns for the armor and helmet from this site. Even with these shortcuts available to me, I had not quite enough time to do everything I wanted. But the parts I made did workout.

The helmet was of course the key; here it is in initial paper mockup with a styrofoam dome from a craft store, modified by removing 1" from the center. My first dome attempt was paper maché like I did when I was younger but it came out really bumpy so I switched to the 10" foam hemisphere.

IMG_20151021_202723462_HDR_zpsytaw0cwy.jpg

After transferring the paper patterns to illustration board and assembling, took 2 tries to get it right. Ears are a combination of foamcore, illustration board and paper.

IMG_20151023_212215_zps0iedbfza.jpg

Paper and illustration board gauntlets before painting and detailing. Excellent but complex patterns available here made this possible.

IMG_20151025_213917262_zpsvhsbausf.jpg

Flightsuit of cotton twill made by altering a one-piece pajama pattern. I freehanded additional pouches and pockets, and added spats and other details to try and make the suit one-piece. Then I had to dye it and wash it, then mount the armor and other accessories, all done rather last minute the morning of Halloween. I hadn't sewn from a pattern in a long while, I think the last time was making a costume for my teen when she was younger.

IMG_20151031_130753_zpsrdxndrut.jpg

I used an old leather tool belt for my ammo belt, not finished but good enough for last night. I made a rifle from a plastic gun and cardboard tube, and foamcore stock. My cape I fashioned from a section of canvas painter's tarp. Gloves are hardware store find, not accurate but I was under a time crunch! I used sheet styrene and window film for the visor, I couldn't get a tinted motorcycle visor like last time locally.

The illustration board armor worked well but is a little flat. I used a blinking bike light for my chestplate display, again just "good enough" for a costume but obviously not as nice as some of the builds by others here. I attached the armor directly to the suit with velcro. Mostly successful, except for the cape and my codpiece/kidney sections which wanted to fall off. I eventually figured out to simply tuck the codpiece parts under the belt to hold it together. I know that sewing the cloth-side of the velcro to the suit/cape parts will fix most of those problems. Another issue I experienced was my gauntlets sliding off my forearms. Still need to solve that.

The finished results for now (last night). Future details will include the jetpack of course, some costume details and various weathering and battle damage details I didn't have time for.

IMG_20151031_181839_zpsdrqjn2c9.jpg

Here I am with Captain Solo in carbonite:

IMG_20151031_204439488_zpsg2d2zggp.jpg

Thanks! It was a lot of work but also very fun. I only recently found this site and joined, and so just started utilizing all the research others have done before. I'm rather awestruck at the detail others have put into their costumes (if that's the right word) and look forward to improving on my basic costume. There's a lot of lingo I'm trying to make sense of, like what is a "hero" version? As in "ESB Hero version"

I'll eventually get a little more accurate, more detailed, more complete, etc. For instance I just today found the jetpack templates. They'll come in handy for sure! I'll take a break from working on this, but will resume in a few weeks to make improvements for attending the new Star Wars in costume.

For fun, here's a pic of me with some younger fans... we shared notes on details and even paint cans.
IMG_20151101_140617886_zps0tovtykq.jpg

That's awesome! Once I'm done with my 1:1 build I'm going to try and tackle my own scratch build too!

The 1:1 means original size. A 2:1 means that the size is upscaled by 2 (double of the original size), while 1:2 means that the size was reduced with 2 (half of the original size) and so on.

That part I understand, what I meant is how is a 1:1 build different than a scratch build? Thanks for indulging my questions, there's a lot of information and lingo on this forum that's new to me.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back