My good old fashioned momentary switched rangefinder

bassplayer82

Jr Hunter
Hey Guys,

So the helmet is now finished and it was time to work on the range finder. Here is how I did it.

I bought a $8 2 Flasher LED kit from Jaycar Electronics, swapped out the 2nd green LED for a red one I had spare and started on building the circuit board.

1381.JPG

I then took it for a test drive running from a 9V battery to make sure it was working.

1383.JPG

Next stop Dremmel City population me as I had to chop off the sides of the board carefully so It could fit inside the housing of the RF.

1384.JPG1385.JPG

1386.JPG 2x LEDs are then zap a gapped into their respective holes.

I then made some room for the wires from the hollow stalk to move freely into the helmet where the power supply will live. i also drilled some small holes for the momentary switch that I picked up for $1.50. That is resting on a piece of plastic from a 3.5mm stereo jack plastic cover (not shown in pictures).

1455.JPG1456.JPG

1453.JPG I then soldered and heat shrinked the leads from the LED's to the leads from the 9v Battery / Momentary switch.

1431.JPG I hollowed out the clear part of the RF topper where I am going to insert a white LED later on once I get one. It currently attaches with small magnets to the RF housing.

IMG_4454.JPG This is what it looks like from the inside. The battery is held by double sided velcro nicely and does not budge. Fits nicely when I am wearing the helmet.

A video of it working

Hope you all enjoyed this post :)

Cheers

1454.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I was going to buy one of those light kits like you have from Jaycar, but they want twice the cost of it just to ship. I think I am going to make my own like Kokuma did in his tutorial. The parts are really cheap. I wasn't originally going to have working lights in mine, but after seeing both of you guys posts I am going to upgrade mine. Thanks for the help.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back