DrToothache's Jango WIP (Kamino)

DrToothache

New Hunter
Hey guys, I have been a long time lurker on here and always wanted to make a Fett costume when I was a kid. Finally 15 years later (3 years ago) I started building both Boba and Jango. After getting 25% of the way through both builds and not being happy I realized that I needed to prioritize on one build at a time - so I started to focus in more on my Jango. I wish that I would have taken more progress pictures but I do want to create a thread still and list where I purchased my parts as well as document my final steps to finishing the build. My goal is to eventually get to 501st approval but I definitely still need some work before that! So far the parts that I have for my Jango are as follows:

Parts that I have received:
  1. Helmet - Denuo Novo
  2. All armor (cold cast)- BobaMaker
  3. Boots - CrowProps
  4. Placeholder Jetpack - 3D Cauldron on Etsy - arena style jetpack. Not using for my final build as it is not full size and I am going for Kamino version of Jango.
  5. Jetpack - MoW
  6. Jetpack Harness - MoW
  7. Girth belt - Strategic Props on Etsy
  8. Holsters Setup - Strategic Props on Etsy
  9. Ammo belt - Strategic Props on Etsy
  10. Westar-34 Blasters x2 (resin) - Minute fett
  11. Westar-34 Blasters x2 (Lead Chemist by Watto's Junkyard)
  12. Gloves - Amazon (cheap pleather navy blue women's gloves)
  13. Hoses - Blue 1/4 inch polyurethane air hoses with internal webbing from Amazon. (**I received 100 feet of this type of hose, so if anyone else needs it for their Jango let me know! I'd be happy to send some to you!)
  14. Placeholder vest - Pleather vest salvaged from a halloween costume from eBay a few years ago
  15. Placeholder gauntlets set 1 - Disney boba fett toy gauntlets that I repainted and and placed on top of leather wraps that I painted silver
  16. Placeholder gauntlets set 2 - 3d printed ROTJ Boba Fett gauntlets painted and weathered to look similar to Jango's
  17. Flight Suit - re-purposed Boba flight suit from Evolution props

Still waiting for shipment:
  1. Jango Gauntlets (Cold Cast) - DC Props and Armor
  2. Westar-34 Blasters x2 (Metal, sound board installed) - Watto's Junkyard - Received!
  3. Leather vest - BobaMaker

Currently the build is about 75% complete. List of things that I still need to do:
  1. Jetpack - need to put together the MoW Z-6 jetpack and paint it.
  2. Flight suit - need to dye more with purple Rit dye and remove stitching where Boba's pouches are - thigh pouches, shin pouches.
  3. Need to swap out the flak vest with the one BobaMaker is sending me as the current one is too short and shoulder flaps do not extend out far enough. It's decent for a placeholder item though, was really cheap and allowed me to finally wear the costume for Halloween.
  4. Need to swap out gauntlets for the accurate cc ones that DC Props is currently making.
  5. Need to get a more accurate strap system for the boot armor.
  6. Helmet - Denuo Novo seems to have used a single blue color rather than using a darker blue for the cheek area. Need to do some paint work to make it more accurate.
Now I will show you where I am at and what I have done so far.

Mounting the Armor

Mounting the armor wasn't as bad as I thought it would be once I finally found out where I placed my strong pinbacks at. Initially I had lost them and tried to use regular clutchback pin keepers which was a disaster. I ended up finding them and using the pin/pinback method that I found a member posted in the Boba Fett forums on here (Edit: Figured out who it was - thank you Fettastic !!!). I used extra strong pinbacks that I purchased on Amazon and just regular pins that I glued onto all of the armor pieces. I just roughened the surface of each of the pins using a dremel and sanded the backside of the armor. I then used gorilla glue to attach all of the pins onto the backside of each of the armor pieces. Here is a picture that I saved a long time ago when browsing the forums here (from Fettastic 's post):
IMG-7114.PNG

Once the adhesive fully set, I then roughly aligned the armor pieces onto the flak vest and flight suit to start. I then pushed the pins through the cloth/leather and secured the armor by using the strong pin keepers that I purchased on Amazon. I found it easier to do the flak vest while it was laying on the ground and the flight suit while it was hanging up. Ideally I would've used my mannequin but I was at my friends house while doing this so I had to work with what he had there.
IMG-7109.jpg

Here is a picture of the pin keepers that I used that are easy to find on Amazon:
Capture.PNG

Once the armor was initially attached, I then suited up and checked armor locations and made adjustments as needed. Once I got back to my house I was able to use the mannequin to get a better starting point:

IMG-7110.jpg

IMG-7117.jpg

IMG-7118.jpg

IMG-7119.jpg

IMG-7120.jpg

Once everything was on the mannequin I began making more adjustments to try and get the armor as ideal as possible. The great thing about the pin keeper method is that you don't have to get it right the first time :p. Note that this mannequin is 6 feet tall and I am only 5'9 so I tried to space things apart knowing that the armor is going to be closer together once I switch the suit from the mannequin to me. It was handy having my 2002 Hasbro action figure nearby when putting things together:
IMG-7126.jpg

More changes made to try and mask the fact that my placeholder vest is way too short:
IMG-7299.jpg

Now to mount the jetpack. Currently I am using an inaccurate 3D printed arena style jetpack. I just threw some silver and blue paint on it and called it a day. Ultimately I need to build my MoW Z-6 jetpack as I am doing a Kamino build.
To attach the jetpack, I am utilizing MoW's jetpack harness. I purchased 1-inch buckles and nylon straps to use for mounting and repurposed some picture hanging hardware to help keep the jetpack closer to my back. After mounting the jetpack I realized that I put the female and male ends the wrong way. I learned that the female end is supposed to be on the jetpack and the male end of the buckle on the harness for Jango, so this is something that I will have to fix when I mount the Z-6 eventually.
unnamed (3).jpg

unnamed (2).jpg

unnamed.jpg

unnamed (1).jpg

I know that the paint scheme for this isn't correct but to be honest the jetpack was a rush job for halloween. Like I said this is just a placeholder item for now but I couldn't be Jango Fett without a jetpack!

The gauntlets that you see on the mannequin are the disney toy boba gauntlets with leather wraps under them. I also have these 3D printed ROTJ gauntlets that I am using as placeholders until I receive the Jango CC ones. Unfortunately the 3D printed ones don't currently fit onto the mannequin, so he has to keep the toy ones for now.

IMG-7403.jpg

IMG-7404.jpg

IMG-7366.jpg

IMG-7370.jpg

IMG-7375.jpg

Last thing I did was swap the purple hoses for the more accurate blue ones from Amazon:
IMG-7393.jpg

IMG-7395.jpg

So this is where I am currently at, I still have quite a bit of work to do! The next step is going to be sanding and painting the resin blasters. After that I will work on the Z-6 jetpack and get that mounted. I will make sure to post more updates as I make progress in the build. Thanks for checking it out!

Last edited:
It's looking great so far. I started my build about 16 years ago. Then I stopped and started a family. I put what Items I acquired in a tote and kind of forgot about them. When the Mandalorian dropped it peaked my interest back up. I looked at my boys and said, "You know, I started to build a Jango Fett years ago before you guys were born." I use the word build lightly. At that point in time I had only acquired a few items. I told them should finish that project. It’s been a long road. The skills I would need to finish this job I had to learn and pour over TDH. That God for the members here. Fast forward to today. I’m at the pre-approval stage with some small issues that I need to address before moving on. .

Good luck and keep the ball rolling. Don't do what I did and stop. :lol:

Last edited:
It's looking great so far. I started my build about 16 years ago. Then I stopped and started a family. I put what Items I acquired in a tote and kind of forgot about them. When the Mandalorian dropped it peaked my interest back up. I looked at my boys and said, "You know, I started to build a Jango Fett years ago before you guys were born." I use the word build lightly. At that point in time I had only acquired a few items. I told them should finish that project. It’s been a long road. The skills I would need to finish this job I had to learn and pour over TDH. That God for the members here. Fast forward to today. I’m at the pre-approval stage with some small issues that I need to address before moving on. .

Good luck and keep the ball rolling. Don't do what I did and stop. :lol:
Thanks man! Wow that's a long gap between start and finish but I can totally see how that happens. These builds take so much time and effort that it is hard to get going again once you stop, especially when life happens. I just checked your thread that you posted about weathering your leather parts - Your build is looking awesome! Did you end up going with the Denuo Novo helmet or the BobaMaker one? You nailed it though, without TDH these builds would be so much more difficult. It's amazing the amount of resources on here.

You should really do a build thread to show off you work once you are approved (or before even). It would be great to see what you did and see if there is anything I can do better. There are a lot of Jango builds on here but not as many recently so it would be cool to keep the build threads going. One thing I noticed from just looking at your build now is that I think my thigh armor is mounted too low so I am going to raise that up a bit.

Thank you! Did you see me Denuo Novo Bobmaker helmet comparison thread? They are really close. I would swear that they are from the same mold. Which is interesting knowing the history behind the Bobamaker one being from a Legacy Helmet.

I will probably do a build thread. I wanted to make sure I finish first. I see so many that have started and never finished. I didn't want to be one of those. :lol: I just had to redo my thigh armor. I mounted it before I mounted my leg armor to my suit. Before I readjusted my thigh armor I was hitting my knee armor and cod piece. So I recommend walking around with the leg armor, holster and thigh armor before mounting the thigh armor to the holsters. Now I'm stuck with extra holes I need to figure out how I'm going to fill.

Another big issue I had was in 16 years I had gained 40lbs and shrunk 3 inch's. My flight that I bought when I first started did not fit me at all. Even after I loss the 40 extra pounds.

Thank you! Did you see me Denuo Novo Bobmaker helmet comparison thread? They are really close. I would swear that they are from the same mold. Which is interesting knowing the history behind the Bobamaker one being from a Legacy Helmet.

I will probably do a build thread. I wanted to make sure I finish first. I see so many that have started and never finished. I didn't want to be one of those. :lol: I just had to redo my thigh armor. I mounted it before I mounted my leg armor to my suit. Before I readjusted my thigh armor I was hitting my knee armor and cod piece. So I recommend walking around with the leg armor, holster and thigh armor before mounting the thigh armor to the holsters. Now I'm stuck with extra holes I need to figure out how I'm going to fill.

Another big issue I had was in 16 years I had gained 40lbs and shrunk 3 inch's. My flight that I bought when I first started did not fit me at all. Even after I loss the 40 extra pounds.
Yeah I was looking through your post history once I saw that you were doing a Jango build haha. The 2 helmets do look very close, I was pleasantly surprised when I received mine as I didn't know what to expect since they had just taken Anovos's place. I bought it thinking that I would still maybe have to buy BM's version but it is a pretty good helmet just needs some small modifications.

I agree, nothing is worse than seeing someone's progress and then never seeing the end result! I always wonder if they never got around to finishing or if they lost motivation to post after the build was completed.

So you actually mounted your thigh armor to the holsters? I noticed other's do this but didn't think it was a requirement. My holsters seem to stay in place when tightened to the right amount. Is there a major benefit to mounting the holsters directly to the thigh armor? Does it help keep everything in place? If so I might just go ahead and do it, but I am going to wait until I wear the costume a few more times to make sure the armor is exactly where I want it first.

Looking forward to your build thread though. I am kind of at a stalemate right now until my flak vest arrives, just going to work on the blasters and jetpack.

I think mounting the thigh armor to the holster is the way to go. I feel if you mount the thigh armor to the suit the holsters would be putting rub marks on the thigh armor as you walk around. I also think it helps keeping everything in place by mounting it to the holster.
Check out Bucketheads videos. He's got a good one on mounting the check armor to the vest. It help tome with clarification on Cruzers instructions.

Seeker has some good tips from his armor. Jango Armor Tips

I think mounting the thigh armor to the holster is the way to go. I feel if you mount the thigh armor to the suit the holsters would be putting rub marks on the thigh armor as you walk around. I also think it helps keeping everything in place by mounting it to the holster.
Check out Bucketheads videos. He's got a good one on mounting the check armor to the vest. It help tome with clarification on Cruzers instructions.

Seeker has some good tips from his armor. Jango Armor Tips
Awesome thank you. I have actually seen Bucketheads videos before, his stuff looks really good! I went with the pinback method over using snaps ultimately for chest/shoulder armor. Seems to work well with the chest armor/should armor but I am definitely going to mount the thigh plates to the holsters now. Just ordered some chicago screws! Looks simple enough. I will probably use pinbacks to get the thigh armor exactly where I want it and then drill the holes for mounting the holsters/thigh armor to secure them into place. Will update the post with the result.
That Seeker thread you listed is really good, I remember seeing that years ago but I am going to use it as a reference now so thanks for linking that.

Came home from the office today to an awesome surprise package:

IMG-7481.jpg

IMG-7482.jpg

IMG-7484.jpg

IMG-7485.jpg

IMG-7486.jpg

IMG-7487.jpg

IMG-7490.jpg

These are the Watto's Junkyard "Lead Chemist" Westar-34's and they are amazing! The attention to detail on these things is great and they feel nice to hold. These two in particular are installed with a soundboard and rumble pack with an LED light at the end of the flash hider. Overall I am very happy with them so far and seem to be very screen accurate.

The only thing I noticed that is not screen accurate is the overall length of the blaster and thickness of muzzle. You can see in the pictures below the Lead Chemist blaster lined up with my resin blaster from Minutefett which is based on a mold of the original screen used prop.

IMG-7488.jpg

IMG-7489.jpg

I think that these blasters were based on the Master Replica ones so maybe that is where the slight inaccuracy of the length / muzzle girth comes from. It also may have been a concession that had to be made to keep the blaster's installable. The only downside with the extra length is that they don't fit into my holsters quite as nicely as the resin ones do but otherwise it's not really something that anyone would notice.

Definitely not a big deal though because these things are awesome! Just wanted to post some details and pictures of them if anyone is considering picking them up.

Attachments

• IMG-7485.jpg
    IMG-7485.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 39
Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back