Cleaning costume soft parts

Jc27

Well-Known Hunter
Preferred Vendor
TDH PREMIUM MEMBER
I have a question, how does everyone clean their flightsuit, gloves, flak vest? Just run it through the wash or hand scrub them? I've trooped a few times in my suit and I would like to run it though the washing machine, but I don't know if the weathering would wash out. The weathering on my suit was done with an air brush (don't know if dyes or paint were used). Will the weathering make it if I put it in the washer? I am guessing I will need to let it air dry.

I've put my flightsuit through the normal wash and all my weathering is acyrlic, so far not much was taken off. If your weathering is heavy you should be okay. But let some of the vets on here weigh in :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A

Spot check it first to see if the weathering holds before you wash it.

My soft parts are weathered with paints........spray paints and airbrush...and they can handle a run through the washing machine. I wash it on delicate, cold/cold and then use the air dry option on the dryer.

Febreeze :)

I spent so much time on that bloody weathering, no way I'm gonna even risk putting it in the wash. Plus...it now smells like 'mountain rain....'

I recently discovered that the cheap vodka does the trick. Put cheap vodka in spray bottle and spray on the inside of the garment. The alcohol helps desanitize and kills odors. Let hang dry in the sun and clothes are odor free. I did it this weekends and worked great. No vodka odor left behind either. Plus you can take a shot if you feel like it. Like Deathproof said don't wash and ruin your weathering job.

I HEAVILY dyed and weathered my Tusken with acrylic paint. That thing has been through the washer/dryer so many times as I trooped in it all summer. I never had an issue with the weathering washing out. I agree with the others use the cold cycle and either hang dry or delicate on in the dryer. I only say that because I would hate for it to shrink! I lost 3 vertical inches on my Tusken robe and had to extend it. While that was easy with the Tusken I don't imagine it would be easy with a flight suit lol. I truly wouldn't worry about washing it. In fact if anything washes out mail it to me and I will personally re airbrush the weathering for you! :D

Great tips guys. Febreeze or cheap vodka it is then. I plan to only ever wash my balaclava. Everything else stays dirty, mean and mighty unclean.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm more worried about shrinkage with the 100% cotton used on the vest and flight suit then the weathering being taken off. I'd be upset if I washed my vest and have it shrink and not be able to bolt the armor back on.

Lynn

I'm not worried about the best, i would
like to wash the flightsuit but don't want to lose all the weathering.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back