Just when you thought it was safe...another ESB paint up!

terminal fettler

Active Hunter
I started this a couple of weeks ago with the aim of a totally layered paint job, using AOSW as reference, and using a new base colour before the silver coat. This was the first colour to be masked ( after the L/H ear was finished and taped off) and as i'm only using the occasional pencil mark for guidance lines, this colour pretty much sets up the subsequent detail positioning...
Some of the areas remain masked until the final layers, those without grey oulines etc...:)

DSCF0006_43.jpg

DSCF0001_86.jpg

DSCF0004_61.jpg

:eek:oooo, this should be good...(y)....

Love the layering everyone is doing around here lately...

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice. Are you using a latex frisket for masking? Next time I'm down at the art store I have to pick some up. We have mustard on hand, but I don't think I want to do that to my Fett lid.

I'm using Humbrol Maskol, has just the right amount of opacity to allow you to check the details below the masking layer before you paint, Windsor and Newton make a similar product but the Maskol seems to peel off better, and is fine to leave on for weeks if needed...

O.K. the first colour is an interesting one! I'm pretty sure on the whole helmet this colour only appears within the silver, with the exception of between the R/H upper/lower ear pieces and running down the L/H side of the key slots where some silver appears within this colour. Within the dent, for example it is left masked out until the final weathering/powder burns. Around the L/H base at the back it's also last to be peeled as it is against the blue/green; no silver outline. It took me ages to find a colour that resembled the silver tonally, so all but disappeared at certain angles, but showed up at others and reacted in the correct way against red/greens in various areas.

Very cool so far! Look forward to seeing more updates.

. . .It took me ages to find a colour that resembled the silver tonally, so all but disappeared at certain angles, but showed up at others and reacted in the correct way against red/greens in various areas.

Spidey, DarthMiller and I were talking about that down in Dallas at the JB Event. It is a really tricky effect to mimic!
It was weird because DM and I painted our helmets months apart, and wound up choosing a nearly identical color. :lol:

I'm with you there SJ! In fact you can see how green things can go on the MR helmet where the colour is almost flouro on the back R/H section...I think this colour behaves in a similar way to the base grey; which appears lighter against the red and darker against the green? Depends on the surrounding colour as to what tone it takes on: blue,grey,green etc...

I'm with you there SJ! In fact you can see how green things can go on the MR helmet where the colour is almost flouro on the back R/H section...I think this colour behaves in a similar way to the base grey; which appears lighter against the red and darker against the green? Depends on the surrounding colour as to what tone it takes on: blue,grey,green etc...

Good stuff...(y)...that's been my contention all along..that the base colors really do effect the next color apllied when doing a layered method, in terms of tonality ....and more so with the silver.....topically it's easy to mimic the different tones and off colors the silver has, but 100% layered??...wow:confused...all I can say is, you are in for a challenge...and I wish you luck TF...(y)..you are a bigger man than me...

knowing you though TF, If anyone can pull it off it's you.... (y)

This thread might be the first of it's kind, from start to finish anyway..

on the first picture with the white. it looks like you added the purple stuff on it too.

The first pic is the base colour, then added on is the liquid mask ( purple).
Then the whole helmet is sprayed silver, then the silver is masked , then the grey is sprayed on, then most and some of the mask covering these colours is removed in preperation for the next colours...:)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back