I have been trooping as Boushh since 2006 and my research on the costume has never stopped, I don't think a day has passed in my house without Boushh being mentioned. A while back my Boushh costume was used in the Simon Pegg film ‘Paul’ so I decided it was time to retire it and start work on a new upgraded costume (my original has now been boxed away). Since making my last costume I have obviously found out a lot more about the screen used costume and saw the original in London, this time I will be going all out on accuracy and though, maybe not as practical, I will still try to make allowances for comfort where I can.
Firstly I worked on the tunic, I sourced a new pig skin with more texture and made the pattern more accurate. The front is self faced and the overall fit is much better.
Next came the under tunic. There is quite a bit of difference between this under tunic and my last one. This time the body of the tunic is made from a caramel brown sateen cotton which is overlocked at the hem and the suede collar is top stitched to the cotton. The tunic now has a brown zip up the back and the sleeve ends are lined with leather. The sleeves are still long enough to gather, have the tree spikes and the thumb slots. Above the wrist there are the opening slots in the seam, these are held closed with large stitching and a fastener. The sleeves are also now lined with black satin.
The cummerbund was the next piece I made. It is piped suede and then unlike my last cummerbund it is lined with suede, this makes it a little more expensive to make but finishes it off nicely. At the back the cummerbund laces with black cotton tape and has a wrap over cover to hide the lacing. At the top of the cover a hole has been cut into the suede. I have yet to discover why but I have put it there for accuracy.
The trousers are similar to the old pair but have more detail in the pleated knee sections. The trousers have been made from a new leather which I then spent a whole week dying to the correct colour and weathering. This took hours of painting, sanding, re-painting, weathering, sanding, finishing… extremely time consuming but I had to keep going until I achieved the correct look. Lots of studying the original costume to get the marks in the right places.
I purchased gloves made from a suede that matched quite well but they are fleeced lined which created difficulty when dressing. I have had to remove the lining and put a cuff on the wrist which makes it easier to fit them comfortably under the under tunic.
The boot covers have been completely re-patterned. The striped detail is more accurate and the back fastening has been completely upgraded. The boot covers now wrap around the boot and velcro at the back to an underpad. They also have the vintage hook and bar fasteners and the ski clasps. The boot covers have the suede stirrup that feeds under the boot. I am still on the look out for accurate boots. Across the front of the cover is the strap which again has been completely re-patterned. This has been scaled from the tie fighter model part on the new boot discs we have made. The strap is piped up to the boot disc and then stops. The edge of the strap is also piped. The discs are removable again in case I damage them. This time we have strengthened the attachments so they pull tight against the strap.
Whilst I have been working on the soft parts my partner Jude has been busy making progress on all the new hard parts. Using sourced correct model parts he has scaled up and is sculpting new boot discs, new bandoleer and will be working on a new helmet sculpt soon.
Jude has also been working on my armour. We built a basic mould which he then covered in body filler and sanded to shape, creating all the little imperfections for the mould to pick up. The new armour is being made form polyurethane rubber / resin so it has great shape but it also flexible and will not crush me when I am wearing it. Once it is all painted up and weathered I will then line it with the suede around the neck.
It has been an extremely challenging upgrade to build and we still have a way to go. I have attached lots of photo’s of the work so far so please enjoy.
more progress soon.