Subscribe
    Mar 2, 2013, 8:12 PM - My "drop-able" thermal detonator: #1

I am the type of person that, though I spend a lot of my time building the costume, when it comes time to show off, I drop my props. I decided that I needed to make a thermal detonator that I could feasibly drop, and not worry about it's integrity.

I started with a rubber baseball...

put my "cut lines" on it...

cut it in half, and cut the grooves into it...

hollowed it out...

and this is where I got so excited about the project, that I forgot to take multiple images. The only one I have at this stage is of the "on/off" switch with screws glued on the switch...

This next image is to figure out the switch placement... (3 pieces of abs plastic glued together and heat-fitted to the shape of the ball)

These next two photos are of the almost complete sphere trying to see if my wiring is working. I am in NO way an electrician, and the guy at Radio Shack thought I was nuts, but here we go. FYI, the 3 LED's do blink in random sequence, and I WILL finish with the metal fittings around the lights, as well as weathering effects.

I was just so excited that I created this prop that I can DROP without harm to it, that I just HAD to show you! I hope you enjoyed my creation, and if you have any questions, I'll do my best to keep in touch. In the making... wiring diagrams for any of you other non-electronically-minded individuals out there, as long as "mostly accurate" is good enough for you, too

Thank you for the view, and keep on creating!
  2. Member Since
    Dec 2012
    Mar 3, 2013, 4:01 AM - Re: My "drop-able" thermal detonator: #2

Looks good, at least you can throw it , may be under arm though
    Last edited by ICEmonkey; Mar 4, 2013 at 12:18 AM.
  3. Mar 3, 2013, 7:43 PM - Re: My "drop-able" thermal detonator: #3

ha! nice! i like it
    Mar 9, 2013, 7:07 AM - Re: My "drop-able" thermal detonator: #4

That is a great concept "made to be dropped". Congratulations! Have you dropped it already!?
    Mar 9, 2013, 11:48 AM - Re: My "drop-able" thermal detonator: #5

Quote juanmatroop said: View Post
    That is a great concept "made to be dropped". Congratulations! Have you dropped it already!?
    Oh yeah, field testing ya know... And my students (I'm a high school math teacher) have already chucked it at teach other (carefully), and all the wiring still works. Now my son wants one so that he can chuck it at his dad, and let the imagination run wild! My next endeavor is to try to cram a sound device/amplifier into the ball for accurate whirring/clicking noises...
    Mar 10, 2013, 3:32 PM - Re: My "drop-able" thermal detonator: #6

That would be awesome!
  7. Member Since
    Oct 2009
    Mar 12, 2013, 4:22 PM - Re: My "drop-able" thermal detonator: #7

Very clever and practical. Good to have a few props that can be passed around without freaking out about it.