Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Subscribe
    Jul 24, 2008, 1:15 AM - Re: Boushh Helmet WIP #51

I understood what he ws saying, however people were paying for something that was free when I first released my RG helmet file. I posted download links for it so people could have it free of charge.

Then I find it on Ebay, being sold and there were bids. People were willing to pay because on ebay, not everyone knew about it being free elsewhere.

I understand people having trouble paying for the file when there's a chance that they may not have the skill to complete the project. However the same can be said about model kits, or costume kits where the vac form or resin cast helmets have to be assembled. This is no different except the technique is different and requires more work.

People may have to pay for some of my work but they get the base for their helmets or armor, the hard work has been done. With time, effort and patience they can have a great looking costume piece cheaper than they may get it for if they bought a pre made outfit, and they can also say tht they made it themselves.

For those that think it isn't for them then that's cool, but people have been getting the files from me so I don't think that my choice was a bad one. You say that people don't like to pay for templates, however people DO pay for papermodels and this is no different because the base is essentially a card model. It's the fibreglass and filler that turn it into something else.

Why do I feel like I have to defend my decision here?
    Jul 24, 2008, 1:37 AM - Re: Boushh Helmet WIP #52

I'm not arguing with your decision because all-in-all its your hard work here. I was just interpreting what the previous guy was saying...ya...everyone would like to get it for free like the WOF templates, but it kind of sucks that something like that had to happen...I kind of find it stupid to bid on a file on ebay but...that is just me...I personally have no prob buying some from you because I love the stuff you got going and I've read about every entry in your blog from june and july. Like I said...it is just too bad that someone would actually sell the file itself...I can understand selling a totally finished helmet with your permission...but the file??? Wow....some people! I'm really looking forward to the finished Hayabusa helmet and the Anubis...more Anubis!!!
    Jul 24, 2008, 1:57 AM - Re: Boushh Helmet WIP #53

I follow ya now. Sorry. I guess I just rattled over it because in the past, I've always been happy to just share my stuff for free.

Thanks for visiting the blog. I try to keep it up to date. Anubis is defenitely one I'm going to get to, but that's a biggy so I'm waiting until I can commit the time to it.
    Jul 24, 2008, 2:08 AM - Re: Boushh Helmet WIP #54

Haha..ya I can only imagine how long that would take me to assemble, let alone do all the leg work you're doing! I've always been into egyptology so naturally Anubis is held in high regard! I've never had the chance to revisit the Stargate movie when I was old enough to enjoy it....really looking forward to your progress!
    Jul 24, 2008, 2:21 AM - Re: Boushh Helmet WIP #55

I'm looking forward to starting it!
    Jul 24, 2008, 8:55 AM - Re: Boushh Helmet WIP #56

Im not arguing that you should or shouldnt sell your work. Im sure you put a lot of work into it. Im just pointing out that the model your using, if your really trying to stop the idiots from stealing/claiming it is not going to help your cause.

Post all of your documents for free. Put an add anywhere Job Bob is selling your templats, for 1/20th what he sells them for. Or virtually free. Just enough to cover the ebay fees.

If your looking for recognition, youll get it. if your looking to run them out of business, youll get it. Because there will be a point where it will not be worth their time to try to sell something thats free.

All in all, would you be mad if someone that took your design was distributing them for free? With your name? Without your name but without their name?

Personally, being a 3d artist myself, I understand why you would feel tiffed. But ultimately the only way to stop someone from selling your stuff, is to give it away.

I apologize if this or my previous post came off rude, it wasnt my intention. My point is, if someone wanted one of your models to build for themselves, they would have to purchase it. From you, or them. That leaves them in business with 50% of the market.

Even if they buy a copy from you, they can still resell it. You just make 1/xxxx of how many copies they sell.
    Jul 24, 2008, 9:15 AM - Re: Boushh Helmet WIP #57

I understand what you're saying but I'm going to stick with my decision for now. I do think it's worth the price too so I'm happy to continue, I have put time into them and I do think that a small price is Ok. As I said my prices aren't super high, I think they're reasonable. Though I still think you're missing the point. My work and other papermodels get abused like this BECAUSE they are free and easily accessable. You'll be surprised just how many people are still unaware of papermodelling and will pay because they don't know of the free original model.

Besides, out of the collection of costume related files I've created, only two of them at this time are for sale. As I've said, the Fett stuff I'm doing will be free to all, as well as the Halo stuff.

Only Boushh and the Royal Guard are for sale. No offense has been taken by what you've said, I just felt almost like I was being criticised almost for choosing to sell some of my work. It's cool, I understand your reasons now.
  8. Member Since
    Mar 2008
    Aug 2, 2008, 7:38 PM - Re: Boushh Helmet WIP #58

Hey folks!

Thanks a million to Skip I got my Boushh done tonight... sorry for the bad pics, I think its the lighting in my bedroom. I might have made a few mistakes and I had bits left over (oops!) but this has been a FANTASTIC learning experience thus far for me - huge thanks Skip!

Anyhoo - on to the pics -

And another -

And finally -

The card I used is light-ish so the indents in the second pic will be sorted when reinforcing (I hope )

If resining, glassing and filler all go as smoothly as the build, I think I might have found a PERFECT remedy for living in a small country where materials are impossible to find!!!

Thanks again Skip!!! (sorry about the other thread - youd think I'd have a clue by now )

Dave
    Aug 3, 2008, 1:02 AM - Re: Boushh Helmet WIP #59

Sweet! I can't wait to do this one.
    Aug 3, 2008, 3:42 AM - Re: Boushh Helmet WIP #60

Nice job buddy. But you knew that already.
    Aug 4, 2008, 11:45 PM - Re: Boushh Helmet WIP #61

holy wowsers dude, that turned out amazing! Can't wait to see a WIP of that one!
    Aug 7, 2008, 6:53 PM - Re: Boushh Helmet WIP #62

I know I'm a bit slow and finally found this, but WOW. This paper build stuff just blows my mind. That is amazing :O
  13. Member Since
    Mar 2008
    Aug 7, 2008, 9:23 PM - Re: Boushh Helmet WIP #63

Thanks folks!

I have to say - this is my first real build so Im learning about resin/fiberglassing - filler - everything. My point is this is REALLY fun and the encouragement here is FANTASTIC - really keeps me pushing on Thanks so much

Also - I hope you dont mind me posting these in your thread Skip? But as a plus - Im having so much fun I recommend EVERYONE pick up Skips templates!

So I did some outside strengthening with resin before taking on the inside glassing (which Im scared of but hey!) - decided to do it in parts as Im not used to resin so the first part (top took ages to dry as Id not used enough hardener) - from then on the resin hardened quick so these pics are just before the second coat -

This really added strength and the helmet MUCH easier to work on with a thin film of resin. Thing is the resin dries shiny? Is this normal?

So Im giving it one last coat of resin outside then on to fiberglassing the inside!!!

Again, thanks for all your good wishes folks!

Dave
    Aug 8, 2008, 2:07 AM - Re: Boushh Helmet WIP #64

Thanks Female-Fett. For my part in this at least.

Dave, it's looking swell bro! Oh, the resin will set shiny. At least it has for me on all of my builds. Don't be worried about the fibreglassing. I was for my first go too but it really isn't that bad. The hardest part is in the small areas, plan ahead before you start. Some areas will require the fibreglass to be cut to shape before you try to apply it.

It is good fun though, I found it really rewarding to see the helmet take shape before my eyes. I'm hoping to 'glass my Mando lid today and can't wait.
  15. Member Since
    Apr 2008
    Aug 9, 2008, 1:33 PM - Re: Boushh Helmet WIP #65

Yeah fiberglass can be hard, depending of your preparation. Don't rush anything, glue your cloth before resining and everything should look perfect

Amazing model Skip, as always
  16. Aug 9, 2008, 7:15 PM - Re: Boushh Helmet WIP #66

Just found this thread aswell. WOW! Coming along really nice! Can't wait to see more
    Aug 17, 2008, 6:10 AM - Re: Boushh Helmet WIP #67

Me too. Anything new buddy?
    Aug 17, 2008, 6:37 AM - Re: Boushh Helmet WIP #68

Sweet googly moogly how did I miss this!!!
  19. Member Since
    Mar 2008
    Aug 17, 2008, 8:57 AM - Re: Boushh Helmet WIP #69

Hey folks! Thanks a million for the encouragement - really keeps me going!

Got to some of the glassing inside - thing is I have a Uni paper due on Wednesday so my life is on hold until then! Cant even go see Clone Wars!!! Will drop back with pic updates Wednesday night

Dave
    Aug 17, 2008, 9:16 AM - Re: Boushh Helmet WIP #70

No sweat buddy. All the best with it. Looking forward to some pics though when you get back to this.
    Oct 2, 2008, 4:42 PM - Re: Boushh Helmet WIP #71

Wow progress?
    Oct 3, 2008, 1:42 AM - Re: Boushh Helmet WIP #72

I've not had a chance to build one myself yet. Though there are now a fair few who've got a copy of my template.

I've seen some great build ups so far but no progess recently.
    Oct 3, 2008, 3:59 AM - Re: Boushh Helmet WIP #73

This thread is really useful, I'm planning on getting a number of Skip's templates in the not to distant future and as I've no experience with anything like this it's useful to see how' it's done.
    Thanks mckenic for posting your progress, I'd be interested if you have any updates?
    Oct 3, 2008, 4:16 AM - Re: Boushh Helmet WIP #74

Hey Dexx, I'll be ready when you are ner vod.
  25. Member Since
    Mar 2008
    Oct 3, 2008, 5:20 AM - Re: Boushh Helmet WIP #75

Hey folks!

Thanks for the kind words!!! Ive just started my Masters Degree so time is getting VERY tight here

I do have an older update though but not a good one! This was my first build and as you can see the template construction seemed to go without a hitch. I rushed the fiberglassing stage and got air trapped between the fiber and strengthened paper - air bubbles... went on to bondo without checking (always in a hurry) and as it was also my first go at bondo I put too much on - I found it difficult to control so just lathered it on! So now I have half a solid helmet and half a squidgy mess... I dont know if its rescuable so Im back to the start...

I'll take some pictures this afternoon and perhaps someone might have a few ideas...
    Im hoping it might be of help to someone else!

In the meantime I started again but Im doing the upper and lower sections in 2 parts. The intention is to glue the fiberglass to these 2 sections and ensure everything is straight BEFORE resining Most importantly, I think I just went too fast with each stage!

Sorry for the lack of updates, Im still really excited with this and happy to post my mistakes. Perhaps what I think is a disaster might not be so bad...

Pics to follow!