Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Boushh Helmet WIP

From
    A wretched hive of scum and villainy, Las Vegas, NV

Re: Boushh Helmet WIP

That's swell.

I've always been partial to the Boushh helmet since I was a kid.

I'm lookin forward to builds.

From
    Wales, UK

Good to see ya Ruze!

Glad you both like it. I won't be building this one. At least not anytime soon. This was created for my friend but I'll be making it available for others soon. So, I'll be looking forward to a build up or two also.

From
    Iowa

Whoa!!!
    You are GREAT with this stuff. The detail you are pulling off with your skills is insane man.

Awesome job.

-Tim-

From
    Jackson, Ohio

Wow!! Very nice! You can expect a build from me when it's available. This one looks like it could be a lot of fun.

From
    Wales, UK

Thanks alot buddy! I've not had a chance to unfold it yet. I've had a few commission jobs for helmets lately so I've been working on those first. I'll get Boushh ready inbetween as time permits.

If anyone here is interested in a commission helmet design they can visit my blog for details. The link is in my sig.

From
    Jackson, Ohio

No worries. I'm still working on the RG Helmet.

I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    From
    Las Vegas, Nevada USA

Whoa, that looks sweet!

HAHAHA!!! Oh you know you got a PM from buddy!!

From
    Seoul, South Korea

That's one hell of a design job on that helmet. It should come out looking sweet. Always had a penchant to aquire a set of schematics for that lid.......I guess I'll have to take a leaf out of your book and do my own. Ah too many jobs and not enough time or space

From
    Wales, UK

Thanks again guys. I'm looking forward to getting some build pics from the friend I did this one for.

WetOkole, PM?? I've not had one. Though I've been wanting to chat with ya buddy.

From
    Limerick, Ireland

Woah!

Looking good! I think I'll have to head over to your blog Skupilkinson! Everything youve posted here looks so sweet...

Well done on the helmet - be really interested to see how you progress!

Dave

From
    The miserable mill

man that helmet is looking fantastic

From
    Wales, UK

Thanks very much. Thanks too for visiting the blog.

I think I've mentioned before but this was modelled for a friend to build. He'll be sending me pics as he goes so I'll post them here too. Unless he does first. I won't have the time to build this, at least not anytime soon.

From
    UK

Skupilkinson said: View Post
    I won't have the time to build this, at least not anytime soon.

From
    Wales, UK

LOL!

From
    Wales, UK

Morning guys,

Good news. Boushh is ready!! I couldn't sleep this morning so I thought I'd do something constructive rather than veg in front of the TV.

It's all unfolded ready to print now, the file will take 24 pages to print out. Though this may increase slightly later today as I'm thinking of adding some support to the helmet. This will help the card build hold it's shape while the resin outer coats are being applied. I may do them later and add them to the existing file.

Now for a slightly uncomfortable announcement. I've spent alot of time on this and origiinally it was going to be given away. However, I've been spotting some of my papermodel work being given out by others as if it was their own creation, also I've spotted a few ebay listings with my models for sale by others. This was not what I want at all.

So in future, all of my work is available at a price. Nothing to make me rich or break peoples banks. Just something to compensate me for the time I spend, and also as a sort of deterrent against the nasty little people out there from just downloading the work and then selling it on as their own.

I'm sorry about this but I need to try something. I'm not trying to let people down here, nor is it because I think my stuff is too good to be given away to this community.

If any members here are still interested in buying a copy of this helmet then you can PM me here or email me via the email link at my blog.

Here's a pic of the final unfolded model:
    mod6-jpg

Thanks for all of the support and compliments here, I appreciate them all.

From
    UK

I'm really sorry to hear this Skip... (not the having to pay part) but the fact that some people have basically ripped you off?!

The end result of that Boushh looks awesome...

From
    Limerick, Ireland

Hey Skip!

Great work and IMO (not that you need it) you are perfectly correct in your decision! You have very obviously put a LOT of work into these designs and should be charging for them!!! My main passion is music and I'd FREAK if someone was passing off one of my sample libraries or one of my bands tunes as their own! That is really low and congratulations to you for not getting down and for still being willing to put your work out there!

When I get some time and cash I'll be hitting you up for this design mate!

Keep up the great work!

Dave

From
    Jackson, Ohio

Skip,

Looks great! I hate that folks have been claiming your stuff as their own. Why can't people just own up to the fact that they do not have the skills or the knowledge to create such things, or that they just flat out didn't do it but this person did? Give credit where it is due! It is just low to claim anyone else's work. At any rate, you'll be getting a PM at some point.

Troy

From
    Wales, UK

Thanks very much for the support guys. I appreciate it, I really do. Although most of my stuff will be for sale only from now on, I'd still like to give to this community seeing as it's given me so much over the years(I've been coming here long before I signed up), So I think I'll do something when I'm freed up that will only be available to TDH members or something.

I have no idea what it will be, but I'll thing of something.

From
    Iowa

t_bone9600 said: View Post
    Skip,

Looks great! I hate that folks have been claiming your stuff as their own. Why can't people just own up to the fact that they do not have the skills or the knowledge to create such things, or that they just flat out didn't do it but this person did? Give credit where it is due! It is just low to claim anyone else's work.
    BINGO. Very well said. If it wern't for guys and gals like Skip, I would not have been able to do the things I have been working on. Pepakura is AWESOME to use as a base to make props from.

Still looking forward to that RC stuff brother.
    -Tim-

From
    Wales, UK

Thanks very much buddy, I'm still going do more designs. I have some commission jobs, but I'm doing a few for myself too. If you like the Episode III Clone helmet then head over to my blog to see some pics.

As for the RC, I think I've mentioned that a friend is drawing up some plans for me of the helmet and armor. Once I have those I'll make a start. Lots to do while I wait for them though.

From
    Kalamazoo, MI

Great work. But as a rule of commerse, charging for your work to stop others from trying to make money on it is a lost model.

The only way to make others not make money from it, is to give it away free.

Now if you realized you think 'wow this is worth money' and want to get paid for it, thats another thing, and its your right entirely, but your model to 'deter copiers' is not a solid one.

By charging for it, you limit it to those that pay. Moving forward, others will have a wider base, as they can either sell it cheaper, or reach advertising avenues you can not, due to a price.

If you indeed want to 'thwart' the people copying/selling your work, make it widely known and available to any and every one interested free, then there is no need for some to buy it.

Much the way if you tried to sell alans templates at this point, you would be hard pressed for someone to purchase it. Because they are free.

That being said its nice modeling, and the fact it doesnt need to be tris and quads means its a lot easier to model than your standard 3d model, thus you have moved through this project very fast

Id love to see one of these glassed.

From
    Wales, UK

You see, you would think that no-one would sell something that was free elsewhere wouldn't you. However that is not always the case.

All of my previous work WAS free, making it easier for people to get it. The problem was that it was also easy for pirates to get it. This is a common thing in the papermodel community.

So, by selling my work I ensure that most of the people who come and get them are genuine. It's not about making money or I'd have higher prices.

I still offer some of my work for free, just not all of it. The Fett items I'm currently working on will be free to members here, the Halo pieces I'm doing and have done will/are free to members of the 405th forum. So if it were about money then why would I do that? I trust the members here not to abuse it by trying to sell the templates on.

As for making my work widely known. I may still be fairly new here when it comes to my contribution, but my papermodel designs are fairly widely known. That was part of the problem.

Thanks.

From
    Iowa

I think what Stormrider is trying to say is that no one willpay for something that is being offered for free somewhere else...I believe that you've worked hard on these as I've been on your blog numerious times....in my experience, most people don't like to have to pay for templates as they still have the hard task of assembly...and sometimes that doesn't work out haha