Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Subscribe
    Jul 9, 2008, 7:09 PM - Boushh Helmet WIP #1

Hey guys,

For those who have seen my Royal Guard helmet WIP, you know that I create a 3D model of the subject, then use papercraft software called Pepakura to unfold that model to give me 2D parts. Very similar to WoF templates.

Well, I'm working on another helmet now for a friend who wants a Boushh helmet for his wife in time for Halloween.

I'm basing it of various photos I have as there are no plans or blueprints that I'm aware of. So far I think it's shaping up well, let me know what you guys think.

I'm just staring to place everything and get the positioning down before going back over it to tidy it all up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mod2.jpg 
Views:	2547 
Size:	203.1 KB 
ID:	25880

I'll update as I go along. Thanks.
    Jul 10, 2008, 3:03 AM - Re: Boushh Helmet WIP #2

Great start Skip...
    Jul 10, 2008, 3:35 AM - Re: Boushh Helmet WIP #3

Thanks alot! The friend I'm doing it for isn't too worried about accuracy, but I'll be doing what I can do get it right.
    Jul 10, 2008, 3:52 AM - Re: Boushh Helmet WIP #4

Got some mad skills bruv... I bet you'll do it justice!
  5. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Jul 10, 2008, 4:43 AM - Re: Boushh Helmet WIP #5

If your friend isn't too worried about accuracy, you sure must Great looking work there, just out of curiosity, how much does that software cost?
  6. KaanE is offline KaanE
    Jul 10, 2008, 6:28 AM - Re: Boushh Helmet WIP #6

The software that he uses is free! Nice work Skupilkinson!
    Jul 10, 2008, 7:16 AM - Re: Boushh Helmet WIP #7

Hey Skip..

Try not to make the Poly count to high!! that way you got less stuff to fold!! Heck I can smooth it out for ya in pep and still keep the poly low! But good job on the designs so far!
    Jul 10, 2008, 7:32 AM - Re: Boushh Helmet WIP #8

Thanks guys, Glad ya like it.

Yeah the software is free for a slightly limited version. Though for this purpose the free version is enough. I have the full version though as I design papermodels too.

WetOkole, nice to see ya here buddy! I'm keeping it pretty low. I'm keeping an eye on the buildability of it.
    Jul 10, 2008, 9:22 AM - Re: Boushh Helmet WIP #9

Looking great! I look forward to seeing this one too, and building it, if you post this one as well. I checked out your blog the other day. Not to hijack this thread but, Is the anubis mask on there life sized as well? If so I'm gonna have to build it too. What better piece for an embalmer than the Egyptian god of embalming.
    Jul 10, 2008, 9:27 AM - Re: Boushh Helmet WIP #10

LOL! Indeed! That would be an appropriate costume.

Yeah, that ones on the list but I've not started it yet. The model pictured on my blog isn't my work but the creator has kindly llowed me to use it as reference and as a base for my own model. When that one's done I'll adapt it for the Horus guard too. To answer your question, yes. That one will be a lifesize too.

Thatnks for visiting my blog buddy! It's been getting quite a few visitors lately. I'm glad you're one of them.
    Jul 10, 2008, 10:17 AM - Re: Boushh Helmet WIP #11

Glad to be one of them. With the amount of interest in pepakura growing, I would imagine that the number of visitors will just keep going up.

If you need more reference for this project check with The Boushh Builders Group. You may have already been there, but there might be some folks there that can help out if you havent.
    Jul 10, 2008, 10:41 AM - Re: Boushh Helmet WIP #12

Thanks, I joined up but haven't taken part there yet. I should really.
    Jul 10, 2008, 5:17 PM - Re: Boushh Helmet WIP #13

Lookin killer man!

G-Fett
    Jul 11, 2008, 1:42 AM - Re: Boushh Helmet WIP #14

Thanks very much!

I'm getting closer now, I've been cleaning up the front and started to join it all up. I'm working my way around the back now too.

There are people who could model this better then me for sure but I'm keeping the fact that this has to be buildable at the end of the day too so compromises have to be made. Fortunately I'm managing to keep them to a minimum.

Here's another pic:

Name:	Mod3.jpg 
Views:	1408 
Size:	229.2 KB 
ID:	25914
    Jul 11, 2008, 8:54 AM - Re: Boushh Helmet WIP #15

Nice. I just thought... are you going to do the armor and the canisters too?
    Jul 11, 2008, 9:07 AM - Re: Boushh Helmet WIP #16

Thanks. As for the armor and canisters, No. The friend I'm doing this one for doesn't want them done this way so I'm only doing the helmet.
    Jul 11, 2008, 2:10 PM - Re: Boushh Helmet WIP #17

Another update today on this. Getting most of it done now. Still tweaking here and there. I'm adding the ear pieces now.

Name:	Mod4.jpg 
Views:	1281 
Size:	215.0 KB 
ID:	25927
    Jul 11, 2008, 2:14 PM - Re: Boushh Helmet WIP #18

Lookin awesome Skip....
    Jul 11, 2008, 2:24 PM - Re: Boushh Helmet WIP #19

Thanks Mojo. Have you thought more about what we discussed last week? PM me if you like.
  20. Member Since
    Oct 2007
    Jul 11, 2008, 3:52 PM - Re: Boushh Helmet WIP #20

This program looks like it will help me build the costume for my kid. Question though, I downloaded the LE(free) version of this program, and also have the free version of PepakuraViewer2. How would you save the 3D file in Metasequoia as, so that it can be opened and printed out in Pepakura? It says the free version doesn't export to 3DS or OBJ. I'm really new to costume building. Thanks.
    Jul 11, 2008, 4:07 PM - Re: Boushh Helmet WIP #21

Well, Metasequoia has a native formet when saving your work. It's known as .MQO. This format opens in Pepakura too. Though you need Pepakura Designer, not the viewer to create these papermodel templates. That's free too but the problem with the free version is that you can't save your work. So you'll need an afternoon free to unfold your work AND print it straight away because you won't be able to save it. You will be able to export the 2D templates as a BMP image/images but they will have "SAMPLE" all over them in red. Though for our purposes I don't suppose that matters too much.

I hope that helps.

As for Boushh, the modelling is all done and it's been approved by the friend I did it for. Smaller details have been left out as they're not needed at this point. They can be scratchbuilt later. Now it's time to unfold this in Pepakura.

Here's a pic I did of it.

Name:	Mod5.jpg 
Views:	1627 
Size:	243.7 KB 
ID:	25928
    Jul 11, 2008, 4:57 PM - Re: Boushh Helmet WIP #22

Nice job mate...
    PM replied too!
  23. Member Since
    Oct 2007
    Jul 11, 2008, 4:59 PM - Re: Boushh Helmet WIP #23

Quote Skupilkinson said: View Post
    Well, Metasequoia has a native formet when saving your work. It's known as .MQO. This format opens in Pepakura too. Though you need Pepakura Designer, not the viewer to create these papermodel templates. That's free too but the problem with the free version is that you can't save your work. So you'll need an afternoon free to unfold your work AND print it straight away because you won't be able to save it. You will be able to export the 2D templates as a BMP image/images but they will have "SAMPLE" all over them in red. Though for our purposes I don't suppose that matters too much.

I hope that helps.
    Yes! Thanks for the info...You answered questions that I would've just came back to ask! Seeing how the full Pepakura is under $40, I might just get that, since I'd constantly be interrupted (e.g. "Daddy, is it done yet?" ... "Not yet." ... "Daddy, is it done yet?" ... "Not quite." ... "Daddy, is it done yet?" ... "Yes. It's done!" ... "Liar!" Hahaha) Thanks again. And by the way, your helment here looks awesome!:thumbup
    Jul 11, 2008, 5:18 PM - Re: Boushh Helmet WIP #24

You're welcme buddy. The free version does have a tendancy to crash on occasion. Especially if working on something complex, which was very frustrating for me before I got the full thing.

Good luck!
    Jul 11, 2008, 5:48 PM - Re: Boushh Helmet WIP #25

That sure is a nice looking Boushh model you've got there, Skip!