Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Subscribe
    Nov 25, 2012, 7:02 AM - yet another Bo Katan! This time it's an AUSSIE! #1

I've sourced most of my parts already - Armour: KWDesigns, Belt/JP Harness - Seeker, Bucket/Jetpack: Cruzer all great guys who have answered countless PM's already.

My first questions regards the boots. I've posted some pics below and would like to get some advice. From my understanding Bo Katan wears a low-cut ankle shoe, not a boot.

if however it is indeed a boot then i've found this one from the same makers

let me know your thoughts. I will keep this thread up to date with progress shots.
    Last edited by Ashbash; Jan 14, 2013 at 5:45 PM.
    Nov 25, 2012, 10:52 PM - Re: yet another Bo Katan! This time it's an AUSSIE! #2

also, could someone give me the names of paints to use for BK? i need all the colours listed please so i know which ones to get
    Nov 26, 2012, 10:47 AM - Re: yet another Bo Katan! This time it's an AUSSIE! #3

I vote for the shorter ones. Her feet definitely look to have shoes and not boots. I can't help on a paint list though since I've never made the costume.
    Nov 26, 2012, 4:18 PM - Re: yet another Bo Katan! This time it's an AUSSIE! #4

Ashbash, Pretty sure Kevin designed his boot armor to go with Brahma boots. He says you can pick them up at Walmart for about $35.
    Nov 26, 2012, 7:22 PM - yet another Bo Katan! This time it's an AUSSIE! #5

Hmm might see if I can get these online. Walmart isn't in Australia unfortunately
    Nov 26, 2012, 10:53 PM - Re: yet another Bo Katan! This time it's an AUSSIE! #6

Oh sorry.. i didn't even catch that. Thread name and all.. wow. Not one of my brighter moments!

Here's the link to them online but you can probably find something else that would work if they won't ship to you.
    Brahma Men's 4" Banjo Workboots: Shoes : Walmart.com

They look really similar to the first one you posted.
    Last edited by zihyer; Nov 26, 2012 at 11:00 PM.
  7. Member Since
    Feb 2009
    Nov 27, 2012, 12:21 AM - Re: yet another Bo Katan! This time it's an AUSSIE! #7

Hey Ash, in your case, I think you would be better off using the low-cut ankle shoes rather than the taller boots you posted.

As far as the different paints used... I can't remember all the paints Mike "TK6682" used. We were rushing through it all so fast to get done on time for C6. Maybe he can chime in with that info.

Can't wait to see some WIP pics...
    Kevin W.
    Nov 27, 2012, 12:33 AM - Re: yet another Bo Katan! This time it's an AUSSIE! #8

I can tell you when I see the can... I dont recall the names
    Nov 27, 2012, 1:08 AM - yet another Bo Katan! This time it's an AUSSIE! #9

Forgiven

Just wish they came in littler sizes. Im Size 4 in men's XD haha

Think I'll buy the ones that I spotted.

Thanks for your help so far

Quote zihyer said: View Post
    Oh sorry.. i didn't even catch that. Thread name and all.. wow. Not one of my brighter moments!

Here's the link to them online but you can probably find something else that would work if they won't ship to you.
    Brahma Men's 4" Banjo Workboots: Shoes : Walmart.com

They look really similar to the first one you posted.
    Nov 27, 2012, 1:09 AM - yet another Bo Katan! This time it's an AUSSIE! #10

That'd be great thanks
    I'm not great with names either

Quote TK6682 said: View Post
    I can tell you when I see the can... I dont recall the names
    Nov 27, 2012, 12:45 PM - yet another Bo Katan! This time it's an AUSSIE! #11

I'd use something similar to this if I were putting this costume together...

http://www.zappos.com/palladium-pamp...eather-black~2
    Nov 28, 2012, 4:30 PM - Re: yet another Bo Katan! This time it's an AUSSIE! #12

Ash if you can't find the exact paints there is a great graffiti paint shop here in the Valley where I got some paints for my Fett. They are really helpful if you go in with colours they can help match.
    Rehab Records its called. Also a DJ place that sells vinyls.
    Nov 28, 2012, 7:18 PM - Re: yet another Bo Katan! This time it's an AUSSIE! #13

Phantom - you had me at vinyls... so there.
    I'll check it out over the weekend. Deltorn works with paints remember at Bunnings so I might talk to him as well.
    Nov 29, 2012, 8:03 PM - Re: yet another Bo Katan! This time it's an AUSSIE! #14

Quote Cruzer said: View Post
    I'd use something similar to this if I were putting this costume together...

Palladium Pampa Hi Leather Black - Zappos.com Free Shipping BOTH Ways
    palladium boots are what i used for my vizsla. they are pretty close style-wise.
    Nov 30, 2012, 4:34 AM - yet another Bo Katan! This time it's an AUSSIE! #15

Thank you! I've found an Australian supplier and thankfully they're around $50 (Zappos don't ship to Australia)
    Nov 30, 2012, 5:56 AM - Re: yet another Bo Katan! This time it's an AUSSIE! #16

The Palladium PALLABROUSE in "Vapor/grey" should work.

The Sole has this nice Metal-optic and you can Tint the canvaz easily
    Dec 20, 2012, 5:48 AM - Re: yet another Bo Katan! This time it's an AUSSIE! #17

so my next lot of questions are:

- - - Updated - - -

mainly that my arms are so skinny i can slide my arm right through without actually needing a cut/hinge.

Also, do i cut the entire ridge on the first pic?
    Dec 20, 2012, 10:46 AM - Re: yet another Bo Katan! This time it's an AUSSIE! #18

If you can fit your hand through them you could get away with a solid gauntlet. However, I think the biggest issue would be the screen accuracy. That seam is deliberately made wider to accommodate the cutting/sanding process.

If you take a look at this photo (compliments of arturoseeker):
    Not_Mirror20 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

It appears to me that the seam is much thinner. If the wider gap doesn't bother you, i wouldn't see any issue with leaving them solid.
  19. Member Since
    Feb 2009
    Dec 20, 2012, 7:56 PM - Re: yet another Bo Katan! This time it's an AUSSIE! #19

Yes they should be cut as you show with the red/pink line.
    After Christmas, I'll take some pics of mine to show the assembly.
    Kevin W.
    Dec 21, 2012, 1:12 PM - Re: yet another Bo Katan! This time it's an AUSSIE! #20

Ash, I had an after thought. Another benefit of going with hinged is this: if you go with a solid gauntlet, you end up with a shell that essentially clamps down in place onto your arm. The one primary benefit of that over a solid gauntlet is that in the likely event that you place foam or other spacing/centering material into the inside of the gauntlet, you don't have to worry about wrecking that material by sliding it on and off. If you've ever had armor such as this, you probably know what I'm talking about.

A good example is my TK armor. Inside the forearms, I have foam padding to center them as well as to help hold them up from sliding down. Since they are solid, this material has become worn by me sliding my hands in and out of them. A hinged gauntlet, in your case, would avoid this issue.

Just something else to think about. Let us know what you decide to do.. i'm interested to know.

Daryl
    Dec 21, 2012, 4:32 PM - yet another Bo Katan! This time it's an AUSSIE! #21

Bought the hinges yesterday.
    I would have to agree with you as I'll definitely need to pad them out with foam. I'll post some progress pics up when we've done it
    Dec 23, 2012, 7:32 PM - Re: yet another Bo Katan! This time it's an AUSSIE! #22

next piece of the puzzle...

EDIT - I have bought some from FenixProps
    Last edited by Ashbash; Dec 25, 2012 at 6:30 PM.
  23. Member Since
    Jan 2011
    Dec 23, 2012, 9:33 PM - yet another Bo Katan! This time it's an AUSSIE! #23

My concern with using a piano hinge on this is the armour is abs plastic. Not solid resin or fiberglass like what most Fett gauntlets are. Also, Ash does have rather small forearms so a slide one would be better suited.

As far as padding goes, I had I similar problem padding the forearms on my tk with padding coming out but I fixed this by using thinner PVC pipe insulator cut lengthways wrapped around and using a platiprime glue which is designed specificly for rubber and foam.
    Dec 25, 2012, 3:20 AM - Re: yet another Bo Katan! This time it's an AUSSIE! #24

my next question is the heel pieces. Is it just that little rectangular bit that i cut out? or does it extend out further than that?

This is TK6683's boots - notice the part I've highlighted in red (duplicate images used for the clarification) is that just part of the shoe or is that the actual heel armour part?

image used from TK6683's thread. (sorry if you want me to take it down. please PM me if you need me to and I will immediately)

This is BH5993 heel pieces - the first approved Bo Katan for the legion.

Last edited by Ashbash; Dec 26, 2012 at 8:19 AM.
    Dec 26, 2012, 4:57 PM - Re: yet another Bo Katan! This time it's an AUSSIE! #25

Don't cut it out. Use it as one piece. Just trim the edges to fit your boot.