Greetings everyone. I’m going to start a thread to document my progress on my “Mauldelorian” – the Mandalorian Supercommando Captain.
Yeah, this guy…
I’ve sourced out all the parts.
Helmet – WCA
Armor – WCA/PROPS
Jetpack – WCA/PROPS
Flightsuit - Dickies
Vest and Waistrap – Homemade (marine vinyl / leather)
Belt – Homemade (Sintra)
Boots – Palladium Men’s Pampa Hi Canvas
Compad - EA
Blasters – EA
Progress so far:
I’ve had the armor for a few weeks, so I’ve taken my time cutting, sanding, and getting it to *look* right. After some trial and error, I finished the horns on the shoulder pieces. 2 pieces of 3mm sintra glued together, cut out, sanded, and beveled to give that *sharp* edge look. 2 screws hold each horn in from the underside.
Helmet: I’ve mocked up most of the horns with paper, cut them out of sintra (2 pieces of 3mm), sanded and smoothed the edges,
Since taking that pic, I’ve contoured the bottom edge so it fits better on the curve of the helmet, and attached each horn with some screws. I’ve only done the 6 large horns – still need to do the 4 smaller ones around the middle of his helmet.
I’m still working on attaching the armor to the vest. My Jango uses snaps, but I’m experimenting with Chicago screws. I picked up a pack of 100 here: Results for chicago screw - MyBinding.com - Binding Machine GBC Laminator Ibico Book Binding
I used 1/4” screws, but I think that 3/8” might give better closure when going through thicker stuff. To attach them to the armor, I took a piece of sintra, and used my heat gun to give it the right curve to match the armor. After that, I drilled a hole for the post, and sanded down (countersunk) the backside of the sintra. This way, the post comes through the hole, and the sintra can still sit flush with the backside of the armor piece. After using some PVC cement to glue it in, viola! Chicago screw post attached to the back of your armor!
I lined up the armor on the vest where I wanted it, and marked where the holes should be to allow the Chicago screw to pass through. I cut a small hole, and then added a grommet to ensure that the hole doesn't tear anymore. When I’m ready to attach the armor, I slide the post of the Chicago screw through the grommet, and secure on the other side with either a washer, or another piece of curved sintra, and then the screw end of the Chicago screw.
Flightsuit – I started with a short sleeve Dickies coverall, and a long sleeve shirt (of matching colors):
Coverall: Short Sleeve Coverall | Mens Coveralls | Dickies.com
Shirt: Slim Fit Long Sleeve Work Shirt | Men's Shirts | Dickies.com
I removed the long sleeves from the shirt, and sewed them inside the shoulder under the short sleeves of the coverall. This way, you still get the “double sleeve” look without too much extra work. I also had to remove the posterior pockets, and adjust the collar so it closes more like a crewman or pilot collar does.
Leather waist wrap that secures with clips, and then has a flap over it to cover. Mine is black, but this is the same process:
Belt and boxes: I’m hand-making these out of sintra. I took a piece of sintra 3in x 24in, and used my heat gun to give it a large curve so it would wrap around my body. I used a 5-gallon bucket from a local hardware store as a form to keep it straight. I cut out the individual boxes out of sintra, and have given most of them (not the half inch or quarter inch ones) the same curve using the heat gun and bucket. The center box and 1 on either side have holes cut in them. After finding the center of the larger piece, I started gluing on the boxes using superglue. After a few boxes, I added holes to secure it to the waist wrap using Chicago screws, grommets, and washers. I made sure to line up the bottom holes accordingly so they could hold my cod piece on as well. Once I test fit the screws to make sure they line up, I put a little dab of super glue on the post end to secure it from spinning, then it’s covered by the remaining belt boxes, and is out of sight.
The edges of the boxes are a little rough. Once this piece is complete, I'm going to sand / fill so that the tops and bottoms of the belt boxes are more even. This piece will cover the front half of the waist wrap, and be secured by 8 Chicago screws. As soon as this piece is completed, I will make 2 more to cover the back half.
Blasters - Sanded and primed. Working on the first coat of silver.
More updates to come!!!