Subscribe
  1. Feb 9, 2014, 12:01 AM - Supercommando Grunt W.I.P #1

Hello TDH! I recently picked up a Deathwatch helmet kit from Eternal Armory. The communication was there and the transaction was flawless, so that's a recommended vendor in my book.

The costume I want to emulate

As far as I know, I haven't seen one person attempt this particular costume. This came as a surprise, because this is one of the more awesome-looking Clone Wars costumes imo.

Painting and weathering is done. Just need to do a clear coat and install the visor.

Size comparison to CAP Stormtrooper (taken before black wash and black details)

Pointers and critiques are always welcome. Thanks for looking.
    Last edited by ShellaTracinya; Apr 29, 2014 at 1:51 PM.
    Feb 9, 2014, 9:12 AM - Re: Mandalorian Deathwatch Supercommando W.I.P. #2

I would love to see how it looks in daylight.
    What are you using for the painting ? Rattlecans ?

Ps. What have you done to that Stormtrooper helmet :O ?!?
  3. Feb 9, 2014, 10:12 PM - Re: Mandalorian Deathwatch Supercommando W.I.P. #3

Original post updated to include outdoor shots after a black wash and added black details.
    I used a mixture of spray paint and acrylics. I used a Rustoleum metallic silver, as well as Krylon Fusion gloss red. Toothpaste was used on the spots that I wanted to be paint chips. The black was acrylic, and the rear vents are also red acrylic (I forgot I needed to spray that) but it seems to be a good match to the Krylon.

As for the Stormtrooper helmet....I think this link will answer that question
    501st Legion: Vader's Fist
    Feb 10, 2014, 2:50 PM - Re: Mandalorian Deathwatch Supercommando W.I.P. #4

Must be the picures that are a bit oversaturated it looked more pink then red to be honest, both on the trooper and the mando.
    Is the black paint on the cheek supposed to be "running" or some sort of damage ?
  5. Feb 10, 2014, 10:31 PM - Re: Mandalorian Deathwatch Supercommando W.I.P. #5

It's got to be the way the pics came out, because they look red enough in real life. It's hard to capture on camera.
    I always thought the paint on the cheek looked more like paint runs than battle damage. Here's another shot of the helmet from the show.
  6. Feb 16, 2014, 11:13 PM - Re: Mandalorian Deathwatch Supercommando W.I.P. #6

Here's a quick bathroom selfie to show a little more progress (flipped the image to show what it would look like if it weren't in a mirror). Tidied up the "paint drips" and added a 5th black finger print-looking thing next to the handprint to match the reference picture a little more. Smeared some more black acrylic on a few spots on the dome.
    I'll have a visor installed on Tuesday. I've got a lead on an armor kit which I'll be buying from a Mercs/501st member (hi Drew ) within the next couple weeks.
  7. Mar 21, 2014, 7:33 PM - Re: Mandalorian Supercommando Grunt W.I.P #7

Got some stuff in the mail today.
    Pictured below is the WCA Deathwatch armor kit, with my painted Eternal Armory helmet.

Also got some Brahma boots

Time to get to work.
  8. Mar 21, 2014, 7:40 PM - Re: Deathwatch Supercommando Grunt W.I.P. #8

(double post...oops!!)
    Last edited by ShellaTracinya; Mar 21, 2014 at 7:42 PM. Reason: double post
  9. Mar 29, 2014, 12:36 AM - Re: Mandalorian Supercommando Grunt W.I.P #9

Posting my most recent update on the chest armor's paint job.

Applying the matte clear coat tomorrow and beginning work on the collar and shoulder plates.
  10. Apr 2, 2014, 12:05 PM - Re: Mandalorian Supercommando Grunt W.I.P #10

Progress!

Not happy with the collar plate and the shoulder plate pictured on the right, so I might lay down another blackwash and outline a few of the paint chips with a grease pencil to make them pop. I'll get better pictures later this week.
  11. Apr 29, 2014, 1:49 PM - Re: Mandalorian Supercommando Grunt W.I.P #11

Big update. I can finally call my helmet 100% done. Visor from EA arrived yesterday. Held in tight with hot glue

I also acquired my black medical scrubs, a Season 5 wrist commlink, and a bunch of black vinyl with which I plan to make the belt. Will be cutting up a plastic storage tote to use for the belt boxes.
    I welcome any Deathwatch expert to chime in on the belt assembly (i.e. size of the belt boxes, method of attachment etc) :wink: :wink:

I ordered extra-small sized scrubs, but they're still a bit big on me. Wampa Clan is entertaining the idea of starting up an armor party, which I plan to attend so I can get some help with this.

Completed knees, handplates, cod, shins, and back plate.

Acquired Woodchuck carbine. Finished painting last week

Pistols are currently being shipped. On BobaFiend's waitlist for a leather flak vest.
    Apr 29, 2014, 1:56 PM - Re: Supercommando Grunt W.I.P #12

That blaster looks amazing. Nice work sir!
  13. Apr 29, 2014, 1:59 PM - Re: Supercommando Grunt W.I.P #13

Thank you eqdizzle!
  14. May 5, 2014, 9:36 AM - Re: Supercommando Grunt W.I.P #14

Gauntlets are done.

Permanently welded gauntlets shut using a mixture of scrap plastic and acetone. My arms are skinny enough so that I can just slide them on. I may even need to put some padding in there
  15. Member Since
    Nov 2013
    Jul 10, 2014, 3:46 AM - Re: Supercommando Grunt W.I.P #15

Nice work. Out of curiosity, what made you select the EA helmet over that offered by TMA? (I'm in the market for a DW bucket and don't know which to choose )