Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Subscribe
    Feb 17, 2010, 12:22 PM - Re: Praetor's Pre Vizsla WIP Thread #26

So, here's the deal. I decided to actually use my head (and my CAD program) to draft these out right. With that in mine, I have made some minor changes to some of the parts. Also, since it is in a CAD format, I can easily tweak the sizes for those of you who may be interested in getting your hands on these in a template form. Before you ask, I will not be starting the templates until I have a set of this stuff on my body for both size and comfort testing (just in case other tweaks are necessary). Oh, and these are all set to print on 11x17 size paper.

So, without further preamble...

Shoulders

Neck

Left Chest

Right Chest & Diamond

Abdominal

Belt

Cod

Thighs

Knees

Shins

Boots & Gloves

Left Gauntlet

Right Gauntlet
    Mar 10, 2010, 1:46 PM - Re: Praetor's Pre Vizsla WIP Thread #27

First I want to say your eye for detail is great! Second, I'm new to this forum but i have a suggestion for your darksaber design. There is a great electronic saber out there for Spiderman II, called the Electronic Goblin Sword. It has a different sound board than Star Wars sabers do and different crackle and clash effects but it does resemble the sounds from Clone Wars.
    Here's a pic

It would be quite a project to convert its design, the blade extends(though it does not fully retract into the hilt) in the same manner as some Lightsabers do. A good holster could conceal that. And the blade is a tall oval shape but it ends in a spherical bulb to prevent eye injury , this can be altered but you would have to be really good with plastics and solvents. It's also easy to obtain for about $20 including shipping. The design as is could be used with no alteration as an Old Republic Saber as I am using for my Sith Acolyte project.
    Mar 10, 2010, 1:58 PM - Re: Praetor's Pre Vizsla WIP Thread #28

Sorry forgot to add this, for your blaster pistols check out this thread, he said he would be making molds of his.

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showt...rs-Mando-Armor

found these too, enjoy

Last edited by Chaosdoc; Mar 13, 2010 at 10:20 PM.
  4. Mar 18, 2010, 6:25 PM - Re: Praetor's Pre Vizsla WIP Thread #29

Look forward to the updates!
    Mar 22, 2010, 11:05 PM - Re: Praetor's Pre Vizsla WIP Thread #30

I will also be watching this one very closely.

I admire your research and Planning. As a professional Draftsman, I also admire your templates. (You wouldn't have those in a DWG format, would you?) ;-)

Looking good!
    Mar 23, 2010, 8:42 AM - Re: Praetor's Pre Vizsla WIP Thread #31

Unfortunately, I have them only in what TurboCAD does. I taught myself the program, so I am unsure of all the features.
    Mar 23, 2010, 3:51 PM - Re: Praetor's Pre Vizsla WIP Thread #32

P.M. sent.
    Mar 24, 2010, 4:19 AM - Re: Praetor's Pre Vizsla WIP Thread #33

Well, after looking over some of the options available, I have decided to make one of my own. I am doing it cheaply, easily, and realistically. For this, you will need 3mm sintra, bondo, glue/epoxy, and a 1-inch long -inch cylinder or tube.

The instructions are simple.

1. Cut out two of each of the pieces.
    2. Round the top edge of the grip inlays
    3. Glue the body of the pistol together.
    4. Put bondo into the bottom of the barrel area and then glue the barrel into it.
    5. Bondo around the top of the barrel inside the body and between the forward posts.
    6. Glue the two tabs together and place them over the end of the barrel (before the Bondo dries).
    7. Sand the edged flat.
    8. Round the pistol grip
    9. Prime and paint as desired. I suggest you use a non-etching primer as it will aid in keeping the integrity of the overall body.

Mar 24, 2010, 6:25 AM - Re: Praetor's Pre Vizsla WIP Thread #34

Last, but not least, this is the Darksaber. Taking a cue from my previous post (the pistols), I decided that the Darksaber could be done in the same manner. This one will only need the epoxy and 3mm sintra, though. Not that it will be easier, but that's half the fun!

The instructions are simple.

1. Cut out two of each of the pieces (unless more are stated). Try to be as exact as possible.
    2. Glue the body of the saber together.
    3. Sand it smooth.
    4. Fold the guard at a 90-degree angle on the doted line.
    5. Glue the guard onto the body.
    6. Glue two of each tab together (for a total of 11)
    7. Sand the tabs smooth.
    8. Glue the tabs into their proper placement on the saber.
    9. Round the grip
    10. Prime and paint as desired. I suggest you use a non-etching primer as it will aid in keeping the integrity of the overall body.

Mar 24, 2010, 9:28 PM - Re: Praetor's Pre Vizsla WIP Thread #35

Wow, very cool. Any ideas about the blade? Or is it to be in Trophy mode?
    Mar 24, 2010, 9:52 PM - Re: Praetor's Pre Vizsla WIP Thread #36

Well, what I was thinking was making it similar to a lightsaber but flat. Paint the sides black, weather along the edge. Include a white EL wire inside the edge and call it good.
    Mar 25, 2010, 8:16 AM - Re: Praetor's Pre Vizsla WIP Thread #37

Now I am cooking with Tibanna!

I have been told by a couple of people that I am doing a great job of planning, but do not really have anything to show for it. Well, here is what I have!

Tonight I drew up and cut out my pistols. I still need to go over them with a dremel and sand paper, but the basic shape is there! Sintra is wonderful.

Mar 29, 2010, 1:45 PM - Re: Praetor's Pre Vizsla WIP Thread #38

Very nice. The saber idea is cool, what material would you use for the blade?
    Mar 30, 2010, 7:50 PM - Re: Praetor's Pre Vizsla WIP Thread #39

I'm not. Not yet, anyway. When I do it, probably some kind of clear poly-something-or-other. It's up to the saber builder I will be going through.
    Apr 9, 2010, 10:22 AM - Re: Praetor's Pre Vizsla WIP Thread #40

I'm still working on it. Once the rain stops and I can dremmel without electrocuting myself, I will finish up the armor and pistol. Expect some pics by the middle of next week!
    Apr 15, 2010, 11:53 PM - Re: Praetor's Pre Vizsla WIP Thread #41

So, after a minor explosive scare at my university on the last good day, I finally got all the big stuff cut out! The rest of the belt pieces will be cut out tomorrow. At the Armor Party this weekend, I will have it sanded and formed. The next step is to finish up the pistol.

Apr 16, 2010, 10:59 AM - Re: Praetor's Pre Vizsla WIP Thread #42

KANDOSII NER VOD!! I love the work you're putting into this! This beskar is going to be great! Can't wait to see the finished result!
    May 17, 2010, 7:31 AM - Re: Praetor's Pre Vizsla WIP Thread #43

Well, I have got the pistol prototype mostly glued together. Unfortunately, I ran out of glue... So, I have sanded down the grip details and prepped the grooves on the grip to accept toe detail plates.

Also, I think I have found a way to do the Darksaber so that it lights up using a sheet of 1/8-in white acrylic (or something that , a sheet of 1/8-in sintra, a white EL wire with power box, black paint, and a bunch of fake hair to mask the blade area... like the pistol, cut it in sections (with cross-pieces for the top of the hilt) and make a cut-out on the edge of the blade to run the EL wire along. Make a cavity in the hilt to hold the EL wire power box with a plate over it held there by magnets. If I wanted sound effects with it, all I need to do is hook up the mp3 player to my voice amp and hit the PTT button to play it.

May 17, 2010, 10:07 PM - Re: Praetor's Pre Vizsla WIP Thread #44

Well, the pistol is almost all put together. I still need to cut the dowel down for the barrel, and bondo it in. Then comes the fun of sanding, bondo, sanding, and bondo. It needs to be smooth! More to come!

May 19, 2010, 6:43 AM - Re: Praetor's Pre Vizsla WIP Thread #45

After conferring with a couple of builders, I have come up with a little more accurate pistol for this costume. It will take me a little longer, but this one will actually be better as it is the appropriate size and shape (rather than flat on the sides).

Jun 10, 2010, 1:30 AM - Re: Praetor's Pre Vizsla WIP Thread #46

Amazing Work!!! really amazing!!!
    Jun 10, 2010, 4:39 AM - Re: Praetor's Pre Vizsla WIP Thread #47

this is truly looking amazing, great work vod! cant wait to see it finished!
  23. Member Since
    Apr 2010
    Jun 14, 2010, 3:00 AM - Re: Praetor's Pre Vizsla WIP Thread #48

I've seen some of that armor in person and it looks very good.Though it will be awesome when you've got it finished and have that darksaber in hand!Keep up the work man,it's look sharp!
  24. Jun 23, 2010, 2:12 PM - Re: Praetor's Pre Vizsla WIP Thread #49

Good progress there! Keep it up!
    Jul 24, 2010, 12:23 PM - Re: Praetor's Pre Vizsla WIP Thread #50

Okay, here is a little update. Thanks to a rogue R2 unit, my original files for this armor were deleted from my hard drive. The only thing I am left with is actually the new pistol file. With that said, I am beginning a new build with this stuff, but on a separate level. Rather than trying to make this out of sintra and then hopefully bend it evenly, I am just going to sculp this and make it out of fiberglass and/or resin. It will take a little more work, but the effort will be worth it and I can even sell what I make with the molds.

Oh, and this is going to include the helmet based on a Rubies 2-piece I plan to mod until it's own mother doesn't even recognize it.