Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Sep 2013
    May 29, 2014, 9:50 PM - Re: My Very First Costume Build #26

Hi all! Here are some progress updates:

After looking at a lot of reference images, I decided to trim down the size of the holsters to better fit my size as well as the size of my Westars (from EA).

Here are the holsters after being trimmed, glued and sludged.

I also worked on my knee armor. I used Milliput to fill gaps in the plastic. I also used it to fill gaps on the holsters. Below is a picture of the holsters and knee after sanding down the Milliput. I still have more filling and sanding to do.

My most recent project has been to reinforce the knees to prevent cracking after I repair the pre-existing cracks.

To fix this, I cut out a piece of ABS (from my precious scrap ABS pile) to fit inside the sides of the knees.

I then curved the piece by hand to fit the curve of the knees.

Lastly, I glued the pieces in place using Zap-A-Gap. I plan on reinforcing the glue with some ABS sludge.

I have to say, my knee armor is now rock solid! I don't anticipate cracking to be a problem anymore. I will probably repeat this process on any other weak spots in my build. I would hate for large cracks to occur in the armor--especially after painting!

This past week I have spent much time getting to know the new sewing gear I received from my family for Mother's Day! I plan on sewing my flight suit, so I have been practicing sewing on stretchy fabrics and reading up on garment construction. I even enrolled in a sewing class to hone my skills.

Oh, and here is a picture of the back plate after more sludge and sanding. It's think it's starting to look pretty good!

One more thing to report. I received my jet pack in the mail earlier this week! Here it is cleaned and ready for assembly.

Thank you Cruzer! It is truly a work of art.
  2. Member Since
    Sep 2013
    May 29, 2014, 9:53 PM - Re: My Very First Costume Build #27

Quote bojaGun said: View Post
    Great Job!
    Quote Syper said: View Post
    Yup this is looking cool
    Thank you both! This build has really expanded my knowledge base. It's been really fun.
  3. Member Since
    Sep 2013
    Aug 8, 2014, 3:12 PM - Re: My Very First Costume Build #28

Hi everyone. Sorry I haven't updated this thread in a while. I've been busy with some family stuff and now putting Bo Katan together. Here are some pictures of my progress:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	958.4 KB 
ID:	79660Click image for larger version. 

Views:	18 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	79659
    I sewed the gloves, using my hand as a pattern.

Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	79663Click image for larger version. 

Views:	17 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	79662Click image for larger version. 

Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	79661

I sewed the suit myself. I drafted a pattern from some clothes I own and adjusted them to fit the look of Bo's suit.

Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	79664Click image for larger version. 

Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	79666Click image for larger version. 

Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	79665

I enlisted the help of my husband to help with some of the more difficult (for me) parts of the build--the thigh armor, holsters and gauntlets. He has fixed many of my rookie mistakes. They are really taking shape now. I will post some updated pictures later on today.

Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	79667Click image for larger version. 

Views:	17 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	79668Click image for larger version. 

Size:	250.4 KB 
ID:	79669
    There has been a lot of taping and spray painting going on, as well as much hand painting and weathering. It's been a really fun build.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Views:	22 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	79670   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	23 
ID:	79671   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	19 
ID:	79672  

Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	79673   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	13 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	79674  
  4. Member Since
    Sep 2013
    Aug 13, 2014, 9:49 PM - Re: My Very First Costume Build #29

Hey everyone. Here are a few updates!

Here are the gauntlets:

Unfortunately, the blue paint cracked and peeled!!! So we gave them a nice bath in Easy Off Oven Cleaner. A little more touch up sanding and they will be ready for re-priming. The upside to all of this is that they smell fabulous. I just love that clean lemon scent.

A while back NoGoodToM3D3ad suggested that I glue dollar store hair brushes inside my holsters. This keeps the blasters from clanging around and is more durable than foam long term. Had my holster been wider I would have used three brushes per holster (bottom and sides), but because I reduced their size, I only used one at the bottom. They definitely do the trick and also help to prop up the blasters into the proper position. Thanks for the great advice!!!

Now for some great news!!!

I received the jet pack harness, girth belt and pouches in the mail earlier this week. I have to say that Seeker does and amazing job. The quality of the leather is great and the detail and weathering really makes it come to life. All of the pouches are usable as well! Talk about a girl's dream. The harness is of equal quality, made from a nice light, but sturdy leather. The straps are strong and the harness evenly distributes the weight of the jet pack. I don't think I will have any back problems carrying my jet pack at longer troops. I also finished painting and weathering the back plate and jet pack. Here are some photos:

Lastly, here is the helmet. I think it looks pretty cool!

Here is the helmet after I lightly dry sanded it with very fine sand paper:

I like that the sand paper took away some or all of the shine and brought out a brighter blue hue in some places. I tried this on one of the knees and I liked the way it looked (the knee on the left has been lightly sanded). I will be doing this to the rest of my blue colored armor.

The helmet and armor are still a work in progress. I really want to make sure i capture the look of Bo Katan to the best of my ability.

Well, thanks for reading!
    Aug 14, 2014, 7:18 AM - Re: My Very First Costume Build #30

Keep up the great work....looking good..
  6. Member Since
    Oct 2013
    Aug 14, 2014, 8:29 AM - Re: My Very First Costume Build #31

almost there looks good
  7. Member Since
    Jul 2014
    Aug 19, 2014, 1:37 PM - Re: My Very First Costume Build #32

Awesome Bo Katan build, keep pictures coming plx !
  8. Member Since
    Sep 2013
    Aug 19, 2014, 9:32 PM - Re: My Very First Costume Build #33

Thank you folks for the kind words!

Here are a few updates from the last few days.

I bought myself some 1/2 inch thick knit elastic and some gray dye. To begin the process I heated up some water and mixed the entire box of dye with a little vinegar and salt with in my trusty dye bucket. I then stirred it up good, making sure there was no powder left before adding the elastic. I mixed that off and on for about 15 minutes before letting it sit for another 45 minutes. Then I rinsed it really well, first in hot water to remove some of the dye and then in cold to kind of set it in.

Well, I wasn't crazy with the color of the finished product (next time I will buy a dye that is made for elastic). So I busted out my trusty acrylics and got to painting. I think it looks pretty good now. There is also a picture of what the elastic looks like next to my sample of weathered suit fabric. Once I was satisfied with the elastic I sewed it onto some Velcro and installed some Velcro into the thigh armor. I plan on using snaps or more Velcro to attach the thigh armor to the suit.

I also decided to weather the boots. I lightly sanded the leather and then painted it with acrylics.

I did some more work on the helmet as well, and I think I finally have it to a point where I can say it's done. I fixed up some imperfections, did a little texture sanding, then added some additional weathering and detail work.

I also did some additional sanding to the other parts of my armor that were blue. I want to there to be a cohesive look.

After sanding the shoulders, I installed some padding and velcro. I am trying to recreate the "floating" shoulder bell look of Bo.

Lastly, my father and my husband made me a light system for my gauntlets!!! The lights are super bright!

And here are the gauntlets, painted and awaiting sanding!

That's all for now! Thank you for reading.
  9. Member Since
    Sep 2013
    Aug 21, 2014, 3:55 PM - Re: My Very First Costume Build #34

Here are a few progress pics from the last couple of days. Here are the gauntlets weathered and ready for their Velcro hinge, magnet closure, homemade light kit and lenses.

I will be gluing cord keepers onto the boot spats. Once they are in place, you tie your boot laces up and then attach the cord keeper to the laces and voila--you've got removable boot spats! Thank you for the idea KWDesigns! He used this for his Pre Vizla costume.

I have started weathering the suit. I began with a glove. I figured if I ruined it, at least I would only have to re-sew one glove.

I thought the one glove looked good, so I weathered the other and then started weathering one arm of the flight suit.

I've got a long way to go, but I think it will be worth it. Thanks for reading.
  10. Member Since
    Sep 2013
    Aug 26, 2014, 10:58 PM - Re: My Very First Costume Build #35

I'm sorry that I haven't posted in a bit. I've been in the final stages of the build. I feel like all I have done in the last few days is sew and attach Velcro. I think I even bought out all of the Velcro from our local Joann's. The sales associates were like "What are you making with all of this Velcro?!?!" LOL. Sometimes it's hard to explain costuming to people without getting weird looks.

Well, I really had hoped to have my costume completed so I could troop a library event a few weeks ago. Things didn't quite work out as planned. Every time you think you are done you find there is something else you need to do. But now, its official! I sent the submission pics to my GML earlier this evening who gave me the thumbs up on the approval!!! My application is now at Legion level.

Here are the photos:

I had so much fun building Bo Katan! I have some additional pics to add showing velcro attachment, gauntlets, etc., that I will be posting up soon. I also have plans to upgrade parts of this costume. But as for right now...it's time to sit back and relax.
  11. Member Since
    Oct 2013
    Aug 27, 2014, 6:04 PM - Re: My Very First Costume Build #36

looks awesome
    Sep 2, 2014, 10:20 PM - Re: My Very First Costume Build #37

Great job! Paint looks spot on.
    Sep 2, 2014, 10:55 PM - Re: My Very First Costume Build #38

Very nice work!
    Sep 3, 2014, 3:43 AM - Re: My Very First Costume Build #39

Shaaaaaaa Nice! work there!
  15. Member Since
    Sep 2013
    Sep 4, 2014, 9:07 PM - Re: My Very First Costume Build #40

Thank you for the compliments! I will be trooping as Bo for the first time this weekend. I will be sure to post up some pics of the event.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote SEEKER said: View Post
    Very nice work!
    Very nice work yourself! I love my belt! Your craftsmanship is top notch and your weathering was perfect.
  16. Member Since
    Dec 2013
    Sep 8, 2014, 6:17 PM - Re: My Very First Costume Build #41

Awesome build!!! I'm working on a Bo Katan for my sister and this is going to help a ton. Looking forward to seeing the pics of your first troop as well...
  17. Member Since
    Sep 2013
    Sep 9, 2014, 3:06 PM - Re: My Very First Costume Build #42

Quote Bryno said: View Post
    Awesome build!!! I'm working on a Bo Katan for my sister and this is going to help a ton. Looking forward to seeing the pics of your first troop as well...
    That's great! Please don't hesitate to ask if you have questions. I wasn't able to make it to the troop this weekend (sick kiddo), but I will be sure to post pics when I finally do troop.
  18. Member Since
    Sep 2014
    Sep 29, 2014, 12:48 PM - Re: My Very First Costume Build #43

Pretty BADASS!!! Great build!
  19. Member Since
    Sep 2013
    Sep 29, 2014, 8:53 PM - Re: My Very First Costume Build #44

Quote Neuromancer said: View Post
    Pretty BADASS!!! Great build!

Thanks!!! It was a really fun build--especially painting it.
  20. Member Since
    Apr 2013
    Oct 20, 2014, 12:05 AM - Re: My Very First Costume Build #45

Niiice! I really like the weathering you did!
    great job!
    -Ghost
  21. Member Since
    Sep 2013
    Oct 20, 2014, 9:06 PM - Re: My Very First Costume Build #46

Quote GhostDarAvode said: View Post
    Niiice! I really like the weathering you did!
    great job!
    -Ghost
    Thank you! Weathering the armor was my favorite aspect of the build.
  22. Member Since
    Jul 2014
    Oct 22, 2014, 6:24 PM - Re: My Very First Costume Build #47

This is awesome! I am slowly working on my 1st build as Bo. This is super helpful.
  23. Member Since
    Sep 2013
    Oct 23, 2014, 7:41 PM - Re: My Very First Costume Build #48

Quote MsVal313 said: View Post
    This is awesome! I am slowly working on my 1st build as Bo. This is super helpful.
    Thank you! Even though my build is technically complete, I feel a costume is a continuous work-in-progress.

I really look forward to seeing your WIP!
  24. Oct 25, 2014, 3:20 AM - Re: My Very First Costume Build #49

Loving the progress on this!
  25. Member Since
    Sep 2013
    Nov 10, 2014, 1:00 PM - Re: My Very First Costume Build #50

Hey all! It's been a while. I finally got to troop as Bo Katan on SWRD at a local library. I had so much fun! Here are a few pictures:

I also joined some of my Merc buddies for a real fun photo shoot in the woods.

There is a real learning curve when it comes to learning to walk and pose in armor, but I am sure I will get the hang of it. Trooping is as much fun, if not more fun than I thought it would be. Although I am excited to troop again, I'd first like to make some upgrades to the costume to make it more wearable. Stay tuned!