Hi all! Here are some progress updates:
After looking at a lot of reference images, I decided to trim down the size of the holsters to better fit my size as well as the size of my Westars (from EA).
Here are the holsters after being trimmed, glued and sludged.
I also worked on my knee armor. I used Milliput to fill gaps in the plastic. I also used it to fill gaps on the holsters. Below is a picture of the holsters and knee after sanding down the Milliput. I still have more filling and sanding to do.
My most recent project has been to reinforce the knees to prevent cracking after I repair the pre-existing cracks.
To fix this, I cut out a piece of ABS (from my precious scrap ABS pile) to fit inside the sides of the knees.
I then curved the piece by hand to fit the curve of the knees.
Lastly, I glued the pieces in place using Zap-A-Gap. I plan on reinforcing the glue with some ABS sludge.
I have to say, my knee armor is now rock solid! I don't anticipate cracking to be a problem anymore. I will probably repeat this process on any other weak spots in my build. I would hate for large cracks to occur in the armor--especially after painting!
This past week I have spent much time getting to know the new sewing gear I received from my family for Mother's Day! I plan on sewing my flight suit, so I have been practicing sewing on stretchy fabrics and reading up on garment construction. I even enrolled in a sewing class to hone my skills.
Oh, and here is a picture of the back plate after more sludge and sanding. It's think it's starting to look pretty good!
One more thing to report. I received my jet pack in the mail earlier this week! Here it is cleaned and ready for assembly.
Thank you Cruzer! It is truly a work of art.