Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My Very First Costume Build

From
    Maryland, USA

My Very First Costume Build

Hey everyone!

So this is my first real build and I am really excited about it. Over the past six months I have collected the costume parts below:

The helmet is from Cruzer, armor kit from KWD, and Brahma boots from Walmart.

In the last few weeks I have worked hard to trim down the excess flashing on the armor pieces. To accomplish this, I use a cutting board, utility knife and pencil.

I then draw my cut lines, score them with the knife and then apply light to medium pressure until the plastic snaps in a nice neat line. Using a utility method is a quiet, dust free way of trimming armor kits. I do it at my kitchen table after I put the kiddos to bed.

Don't forget to save your extra flashing. You can use the larger scraps for repairs and the smaller scraps are great for making sludge (a mixture acetone and abs scraps). I am sure most of you know this already, but I just thought I would mention it. I made some rookie mistakes when cutting the knees, so I will be using ABS scraps and sludge to restore the knees to their former glory. I plan on showing how I did this in a future post.

Here is my kit trimmed up. I haven't finished trimming the details on the gauntlets yet.

I will post more on the knee repair later after I do some gluing. Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by Novenas; Mar 29, 2014 at 1:45 PM.

From
    Silver Spring, MD. USA

Re: My Very First Costume Build

Looking forward to following this build.

From
    Maryland, USA

Awesome! I see we are also from the same area. Very cool.

Looks good so far! Will be following!

From
    Maryland, USA

Thanks Eqdizzle! I've been following your build as well. You do great work. I am really looking forward to the end result.

How much was the armor?

From
    Maryland, USA

DTCorvus: I am not sure what the cost was of the armor. It was a birthday present.

The guy who crafts it is on these forums. I believe he goes by kwdesigns OSCS. Just send him a message. I remember my husband said he was great to work with and his armor is real nice.

Good luck with the costume!

From
    Maryland, USA

So, I received a belated Valentines Day present from my husband in the mail today!

I was never much for roses anyway!

Took this last picture just for fun...

From this very basic mock up, I can see that I will have to trim down the holster, as well as create an insert for it so the blaster will sit properly inside. I will be sure to post up pics of how I do this when I get to this portion of the build.

The weekend weather looks good. I hope to get some decent work done. Thanks for reading!

Affix some hair brushes on both sides in there to keep the burner in place ... Easy in, easy out.

From
    Maryland, USA

NoGoodToM3D3ad said: View Post
    Affix some hair brushes on both sides in there to keep the burner in place ... Easy in, easy out.
    That is some serious outside the box thinking!!! My favorite kind of thought. Thank you for the info, I just may have to try that.

Never thought about that. That's a clever idea.

From
    Maracay Venezuela

Nice ammo work!!

It's the same way an arrow sits in a bow rest (It's called a "Whisper Biscuit"). I've made a similar apparatus for a prop sawed off shot gun for an Ash, from Army Of Darkness. I didn't like how it rattled around in the back sheath I made. I went to the dollar store, bought a bunch of cheap'o brushes, and Viola!

From
    Maryland, USA

Sure Shot Pro | Arrow Rests | Bow and Hunting Access... | Trophy Ridge

I had to check out a whisker biscuit...take a look if you are interested. It's pretty neat.

I'm wondering if adding brushes may add too much weight to the leg armor/holster for Bo. It's held up by the one leg strap and probably Velcro. I thought of using foam or a similar material because of how light it is. Any thoughts?

I may be misunderstanding your post, Novenas, But, That arrow rest wouldn't fit your gun.
    Also, hot gluing some Foam in there would do the same thing, but you may risk it getting chewed up over time.
    Weight may be a negligible variable, but it's a variable.
    Brush one side, foam the other? In
    either way, interested in how you fix it up!

The more I think about this, the brush on each side seems like the best overall option. Soft bristles!!

From
    Maryland, USA

I may be misunderstanding your post, Novenas, But, That arrow rest wouldn't fit your gun.
    Also, hot gluing some Foam in there would do the same thing, but you may risk it getting chewed up over time.
    Weight may be a negligible variable, but it's a variable.
    Brush one side, foam the other? In
    either way, interested in how you fix it up!
    You know, you basically made a whisker biscuit with the hair brushes! Pretty darn smart. I will definitely have to re-think the use if foam, I don't want to have to rip out old foam out of my holster because it is falling apart.

And yes to the soft bristles. If you can't find the hair brush you want at the dollar store be sure to take a look at a place like Sally Beauty Supply. They have TONS of brushes in different shapes and sizes and the prices are reasonable enough.

I love seeing KWD builds, i love all his work. GOOD LUCK!

From
    Royal Palm Beach

Very nice keep the pictures coming Bo is really cool !!

From
    Maryland, USA

Hey everyone! I have been a little busy in the last few weeks and haven't been able to do much work on my armor. This past weekend my family and I went to Awesomecon in DC. We had a wonderful time. I couldn't wait to get back to work on Bo after seeing so many awesome costumes. I rocked this shirt at the con since I didn't have a costume of my own to wear. The insignia is hand drawn and painted. I saved the original illustration with hopes to use it in some capacity when painting my actual shoulder bells.

The shirt is very close in color to Rustoleum Sail Blue.

The "shoulder bells."

I have made some progress since my last post. I worked for quite a while on the fit and spacing of the armor. Here is a picture of the knees, shins and boots on me:

And on Bo:

I am quite happy with the spacing. I also worked hard to get the armor to fit nicely on the boots.

After sizing and fitting these pieces, I glued together the knees,

and used ABS on the seams.

This is where things started to get a little hairy! I used way too much ABS on the knees and ended up with this:

YUCK! So I tried filling the dimples with more ABS.

I know, I know...awful. But...sanding the made it a little better.

But now my problem is that I have one nearly perfect knee (on the left) and one horribly misshapen knee (on the right). Do I use a heat gun to try and give it more curve to match the other knee? Or, do I saw the knee in half with a Dremmel and re-glue it?

Other than that, I have wet sanded about 1/3 of the armor. That part is pretty easy, it's just finding the time to do it. Well, that's all for today. Thanks for reading!

From
    Maryland, USA

I finally finished wet sanding my armor! Yay! I used 220 grit to rough up the surface as well as smooth out the edges. Although I sanded down all of the armor, only half of it was ready for primer. The other half still needs minor repairs (cracking, etc).

Here is the armor after two coats of Rustoleum Auto Primer.

I think the armor looks pretty good considering this was my first time ever spray painting. There were a few runny spots, but I plan on lightly sanding the armor with 400 or 600 grit paper before painting again. Well, that's all for now. Thank you for reading!
    Last edited by Novenas; May 10, 2014 at 10:24 PM.

From
    Cheshire, UK

Looking good

From
    Maryland, USA

PROGRESS UPDATE:

Hey everyone! Sooooo...I painted half of my armor with primer and it flaked off. I now know I did not sand enough of the shine off prior to painting. I have since sanded it again, but will only prime a test piece to be sure I did it right this time.

I also got some good work done on the helmet. Here is a picture of it with the visor and keyholes cut out and then sanded down.

Thanks to my wonderful husband, I also made progress fixing my "deformed" knee armor!!! He attacked it with a heat gun. He molded it back into shape, removing quite a bit of excess ABS along the way.

The shape now matches the desired shape of the "good" knee (good knee on left/previously deformed knee on right).

Here are some pics after sludge and sanding:

Just a reminder of what the knee used to look like (the one on the right):

I currently have a second coat of ABS on the knee, that I will be sanding down later on today. I think they will look good as new after some more detail work.

My next update is for the back plate. Upon gathering reference images for my build, I noticed that Bo has an edge on the shoulder portion of her back plate that is not present on my actual armor. See the reference images below:

To remedy this I built an edge using scrap ABS. Here it is after one coat of sludge.

I think it will look good after a bit more sanding and sludging. I wonder if this edge goes along the collar as well. What do you think?

Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by Novenas; May 10, 2014 at 10:32 PM.

Great Job!

From
    Fremont, CA

Yup this is looking cool