Figured I'd cross post this from my build thread on TheBHG...
I just can't help myself, two animated clones and now I am tackling animated death watch Long Live the Clone Wars.
I will be building the Super Commando patterned after Darth Maul below. I have started with the following:
Blasters: Woodchuck with LED's (couldn't resist splurging on these)
Armor: KW Designs
Helmet: Eternal Armory
Flak Vest: Local Seamstress
Flight Suit: Arkady
Boots: Brahma from Wal-mart
Backpack: Eternal Armory - pending
Wrist Comlink - custom
I think that's the general parts list. With the exception of the backpack, I've set all of this in motion. I've collected a series of screen shots here for reference. There are a lot of shots with the various Death Watch characters because I need reference shots for the Wrist Comlink mentioned above.
Death Watch Screen Caps[/url]
Oh and let's not forget the guns
...well that's just karma for ya, as I'm posting this pic my wife walked by my door and "shot" me with my own blasters.
- - - Updated - - -
My flight suit is officially on order hopefully I'll have that around the beginning of July. I met withmy local seamstress over the weekend to get the Flak Vest started. Here is the material I'm using for the vest. I went with a upholstery vinyl in a dull black color. I plan to make the belt out of the same material.
I finished trimming up and rough assembly on the second gauntlet. I haven't done much work yet on the communicator for the left gauntlet. Also, lesson learned while trimming my first gauntlet. On Kev's kit I took out all of the material between the two halves of the inside face. When I closed it there was a considerable gap so I went back in and glued in a backer which needs to be trimmed down a little yet.
I began assembling the knees pieces. As I've had to shave down the return edges at the knees on both of the clone suits I've assembled from Kev, I wasn't suprised to learn I had to shim the knees a bit. This worked well for me as I wasn't keen on having a large bondo joint on the front of the knee. It seemed like a future crack waiting to happen. I basically just took some .1 think ABS and cut and pre-bent it into shape. I glued the two haves of the knee to the new front plate and the used my dremel to shape the plastic.
This knee on the right is still a work in process. I still need to smooth out the edges and hit it with some bonod putty.
I also got the belt assembled over the weekend. Another valuable lesson from working with previous kits from Kevin...he's skinny :P So when I was trimming the belt I left myself a bit of extra breathing room. In the picture below the whole section between the lines is supposed to come out. As you can see I left about 3/4" on each side for comfort.
Finally, I trimmed up the boot armor and attached it to the boots. I prepped the boots first by rubbing them down with acetone to get rid of as many oils and such as possible. I then roughed up the areas with some sandpaper to help the glue adhere. I opted for E6000 to attach the armor. I haven't worked with it much previously but I've been told it should stay a bit flexible which sounded ideal for my shoes.
My helmet shows up later today, I'm looking forward to starting some preliminary work on the horns.
- - - Updated - - -
And today's project.....
After assembling the forearms, I took measurements and mocked it up in AutoCAD. Using the screen caps, I proportioned the size of the communicator to Kev's to the top of the gauntlet. I used a base of 1/8" MDF board and then took a trip to the hardware to buy a few miscellaneous things. I wouldn't say the results are 100% screen accurate, I think it will get the job done. I still need to make the mounting bracket for this but that's for another day.
Assembled with primer
And on the gauntlet for reference.