Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
    Jul 27, 2009, 10:49 AM - CW Mandalorians - the serious costume thread #1

Mercs topic

I posted this question over on the Mercs board to get ideas rolling for the new Mandalorian characters that will be shown in the Clone Wars season 2.

Since these characters are Mandalorians in general, I thought I'd pose the subject here to get some serious discussion going on what will and won't be acceptable should this costume be considered for canon admittance into the 501st.

To start, here are a few screen caps from the season 2 preview.

Here's what we know so far: (not relying on the holo-image, but on the closeup and the "hero" walk of the four together...)

OVERALL: Blue and grey colors with a touch of white for the "commander"

HELMET: Commander: Grey overall with blue upper cheeks.
    white triple striping from the center of the brow
    trooper: grey overall with blue mandables
    NO RF STALK ON ANY BUCKET

ARMOR: blue flight suit with grey armor plating
    It's hard to tell, but it looks like the commander has heavy thigh plating and the troops do not.
    Commander: shoulder cape similar in style to Boba, but on the right shoulder.

WEAPONRY: No discernible BFG, but all appear to have Jango-style double blasters from the holsters on the thighs.

OTHER CHARACTERISTICS: No view is available yet of the lower legs below the knees, but other than the above-mentioned things, the rest of the armor appears to be standard Super Commando armor.

Granted, I'm not the final say on what will or won't be kosher for this character. I would just like to open this up for ideas and thoughts on what it would take to accurately represent these characters.

David.
    Jul 27, 2009, 11:08 AM - Re: CW Mandalorians - the serious costume thread #2

Hmmm...pretty much jango scheme. I was hoping for something a little different, (at least colorwise). Oh well, its still mandalorians!!!
    Jul 27, 2009, 11:11 AM - Re: CW Mandalorians - the serious costume thread #3

Here are some slightly higher res caps from the trailer on YouTube, with the gamma boosted a bit.

Looks like everybody's got the same leg armor. The commander looks like his flight suit is more gray (could be the lighting) and it looks like his collar and shoulder armor is blue.

Also looks like he's got a light saber.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cwmando1.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	152.7 KB 
ID:	35227   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cwmando2.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	164.7 KB 
ID:	35228   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cwmando3.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	153.7 KB 
ID:	35229  

Jul 27, 2009, 12:23 PM - Re: CW Mandalorians - the serious costume thread #4

i think it's a good look, and i really like that they are mostly similar.

it makes me think of an era where the mandos were more organized / structured.
    Jul 27, 2009, 11:37 PM - Re: CW Mandalorians - the serious costume thread #5

Is it just me, or does the saber he's sporting look a LOT like Obi-Wan's? Maybe that's a common design for sabers back then, or he somehow managed to steal it from him?
    Jul 27, 2009, 11:59 PM - Re: CW Mandalorians - the serious costume thread #6

Outstanding! This will be an episode to watch!
    Jul 28, 2009, 4:27 AM - Re: CW Mandalorians - the serious costume thread #7

Hi,

I can see something excelling the commander back. Is some kind of hilt like the old warriors that wear their swords in the back.

Regards.
    Jul 28, 2009, 4:37 AM - Re: CW Mandalorians - the serious costume thread #8

Quote Ogait-Nas said: View Post
    Hi,

I can see something excelling the commander back. Is some kind of hilt like the old warriors that wear their swords in the back.

Regards.
    That looks to me like the top left cone of a Jango style JT-12 jetpack to me.

As to the lightsaber, it seems more likely - given the rest of the trailer - that the "Commander" took it from Kenobi. Not sure I like the lack of RF array. Alway thought that Mando helmets that have nothing at all there - doesn't need to be a classic RF array - start to resemble bowling balls!
    Jul 28, 2009, 8:25 PM - Re: CW Mandalorians - the serious costume thread #9

That was a question that popped into my mind as well. "Where's the Range Finder?"
  10. Jul 28, 2009, 9:44 PM - Re: CW Mandalorians - the serious costume thread #10

These new episodes are gonna be cool.
    Jul 28, 2009, 9:59 PM - Re: CW Mandalorians - the serious costume thread #11

I think him having the lightsaber has to do with the episode. Also, If you look closely at the video on Youtube, you can see a pop-out vibroblade (i think?!?!?)

Also, the gauntlets are modified HEAVILY.
    Jul 29, 2009, 4:37 AM - Re: CW Mandalorians - the serious costume thread #12

Need to get a close look at those earpieces, as there is no RF on any of those buckets.
    Jul 30, 2009, 2:03 AM - Re: CW Mandalorians - the serious costume thread #13

This is so awesome! I've been wanting to see a scene like this since I first heard the Clone Wars were supposedly between the Jedi & Mandalorians! Wow, can't wait!
  14. Member Since
    Feb 2008
    Jul 30, 2009, 10:30 AM - Re: CW Mandalorians - the serious costume thread #14

Well, since the CW is Canon I don't see how the Legion can deny it.
    That combined with the fact that the new generation, many of our children, identify the CW as their Star Wars we must be prepared to have something that is identifiable with them.
    Jul 30, 2009, 10:32 AM - Re: CW Mandalorians - the serious costume thread #15

i wish there was a side view of those new helmets. i'm reaaaaally tempted to paint one up based on that dude in the center
    Jul 30, 2009, 11:22 AM - Re: CW Mandalorians - the serious costume thread #16

Me too bro!!!
    Aug 2, 2009, 1:05 AM - Re: CW Mandalorians - the serious costume thread #17

Quote stormtrooperguy said: View Post
    i wish there was a side view of those new helmets. i'm reaaaaally tempted to paint one up based on that dude in the center
    I think a lot of us are going to be painting up our armor like the center mandalorian
    But that is kind of weird to not have a range finder if he has a jet pack
    Aug 2, 2009, 11:35 AM - Re: CW Mandalorians - the serious costume thread #18

I personally think it will rock and I really want to see what role these mandos play in the series is. The only two things that bug me a little are no RF, and their buckets are really narrow, I know its kind of the style of the show but if it is cannon, do we have to make a narrower bucket? Overall I love the scheme and the lines their "commander" says... Im so pumped, especially to see who he is and what he does with that lightsaber :3

El1te
    Aug 2, 2009, 11:53 AM - Re: CW Mandalorians - the serious costume thread #19

Seeing as Season 2 is supposed to be Bounty Hunter centric it only makes sende that there are Mandos, As for the lightsaber, I personally think that the lead Mando is non other than Anakin, and the rest are Capt Rex and other 501st. The lack of the RF would indicate that the helmets are probably modified clone helmets to be mandalorian.
    Aug 2, 2009, 12:03 PM - Re: CW Mandalorians - the serious costume thread #20

Actually, judging from the lines spoken, It's probably not Anakin, considering he's attempting to kill General Kenobi.
    Aug 2, 2009, 12:07 PM - Re: CW Mandalorians - the serious costume thread #21

Id punch asteroids if it was anakin, I don't even see how that could logically be him...

El1te
  22. Formely Jaing Skirata A'den Skirata's Avatar
    Aug 2, 2009, 12:46 PM - Re: CW Mandalorians - the serious costume thread #22

As far as the stylization of the characters. Yes, the animated series is canon in the storyline. The appearances were designed to bring new life to the look of Star Wars and appeal to children. There is a considered difference in animated and non animated characters. The reveal of a character from the animated series does not neccessarily mean that's the character's real world appearance. For example, we all know the story of the prequels and know the animated series falls somewhere between AOTC and ROTS. THe story is a canon continuation of the events. However, are we to believe that Anakin, Obi Wan and the rest transformed from flesh and blood to digital animation and back? No, the story holds true it's just told in a different medium.

That into account, the costume would be accurate if made in real world style armor OR in animated style. Just as we've seen costumers do Rex and the Clones in both styles.

As for no RF, doesn't bother me much at all. My custom didn't have one fo rthe longest time and now that Ive added one, it's NOT traditional Fett style. I don't think every single Mandalorian in the galaxy has to be a matching repaint of Boba and Jango. I love the diversity. It's what attracted me to the Mandalorian Mercs Costuming Club over the others when I started into costuming. It's the opportunity to play out as a Star Wars character a be in universe but, to have your own control over the look of you character.

Although the 4 seen look like Jango with minimum mods, I applaud the creators for stepping outside the box in a few small ways.
  23. I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    Aug 2, 2009, 1:08 PM - Re: CW Mandalorians - the serious costume thread #23

I'm glad to see mandos finally in CW. I do wish there was a little more color variation. The helmets sans RF is nothing new to costumers, but that is new for Star Wars in general.

Hopefully mandos are gonna get plenty of face time this season. =)
    Aug 2, 2009, 2:01 PM - Re: CW Mandalorians - the serious costume thread #24

Guess I should have watched it with the sound on......oops
    Aug 4, 2009, 6:51 PM - Re: CW Mandalorians - the serious costume thread #25

Quote stormtrooperguy said: View Post
    Just wait. I have a surprise coming up in about a week.

David.