So here we go with a scratch build of the Bo Katan helmet.
I started with a skateboard helmet from Goodwill ($3).
I then used a For Sale sign from Wally World for the skirt.
Next came figuring out the lines for the face cutouts.
Here was the first face "T" template cutout. I later ended up redoing it because I wasn't happy with the lines.
This more/less shows the method I used to get a feel for how the lines were coming out. I used a heavy card stock cut out to the size of the front skirt.
The template transferred over to the FS sign plastic.
Then I moved out into the shop and started with the actual build.
Reinforcing the inside with some fiberglass and resin to give it some strength for the construction process.
In progress shot of the ears.
Ears ready to get attached.
Starting to build up the brow
Removed the graphics from the front skirt. Reference photo in back to get the brow relief figured out.
Cheeks cutout. Note the "beard" at the bottom. This is what i came up with to hold the bottom together while the cheeks were cut out. Since the cheeks essentially get cut to within a millimeter of the base, I needed a way to hold that small thread of plastic together until the back was built up. It worked really well.
Card stock taped in the holes as a form for fiberglass backing.
One layer of glass on the inside against card stock molds.
Card stock removed.
Eyes cut out. More sanding and shaping
Most of the shaping done. Now just need to get some primer on it to bring out imperfections that need to be fixed.
Primer coats: 2.
Primer dried to touch.
So that's where i'm at now. I have some sanding and a small bit of filling left to do that really came out and became easy to spot with the primer on. Molding and casting supplies are on the way. I'm hoping to cast a first run in the next couple of weeks. Still have a few things to do: build the back vent and put it in place, build the rangefinder stalk and greeblies and work out how I'm going to attach. The RF will be servo-ready but not required. Need to fill/smooth the T cut-out also and fix a couple other small things.
Learning quite a bit on my first build. Looking forward to the next one already!
Thanks for looking,