Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Subscribe
    Jul 31, 2014, 9:45 AM - Re: Building Armor for Star Wars Celebration 2015 #26

Quote RalfSkunk said: View Post
    You bring up a valid point, and it was discussed at length before I started the build. The short of it resulted in that they would be easier to fill after the fact then to cut them in if we decided that we wanted them.

As to what I am planning to do on my costume, I'm going to have them. The clone wars series uses a very stylized helmet for the Death Watch guys. The critical point for me was that they did show the Jango Fett helmet in one episode and it was the same stylized helmet that the Death Watch guys were using (although it did show the turn signals). As I'm looking to build a Death Watch uniform/armor that looks like it was from one of the movies and not the cartoon, I figure that every movie mandalorian helmet had these, so why wouldn't these ones.

I looked into the 501st requirements a bit as well and it looks like they require animated style helmets. As I'm aiming for a movie style helmet of the animated character, these will not likely qualify for use with the 501st without some modification. While the turn signals will be easy to fill, I shaped the visor very much like the movie helmets and not the animated series. This will not likely be an easy modification. Of course if they include death watch guys in the upcoming Boba Fett movie, I just might be ahead of the game for once.
    Now that I look at the visor more closely, I see exactly what you mean!

I'm going for 501st clearance on this, so I'll have to mod my existing lid to make it fit my noggin! Looks like a cool project though!
    Aug 1, 2014, 2:17 AM - Re: Building Armor for Star Wars Celebration 2015 #27

More progress pictures are here! I've got the helmet under rubber now, and the backpack is starting to take shape. Enjoy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo1.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	79379
    The next step will be to make up the fiberglass mother mold.

Name:	photo1 (1).JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	79378Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo1 (5).JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	79382Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo1 (2).JPG 
Views:	156 
ID:	79374Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo1 (4).JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	79380
    Pepakura jet pack is coming together. I'm not sure how I'm going to make copies of this piece. Vacuum formed would be pretty easy, but fiberglass would be stronger. If anybody has experience with each, or a better idea, please let me know.
  3. Aug 1, 2014, 3:31 AM - Re: Building Armor for Star Wars Celebration 2015 #28

Goodluck with the jetpack bro. It, along with the helmet, are turning out really well! I gave up on my jet pack I mentioned earlier... Too hard for me lol. Maybe I can get one commissioned by you haha
    Aug 1, 2014, 9:25 AM - Re: Building Armor for Star Wars Celebration 2015 #29

More progress pictures are here! I've got the helmet under rubber now, and the backpack is starting to take shape. Enjoy

Name:	photo1.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	79379
    The next step will be to make up the fiberglass mother mold.

Name:	photo1 (1).JPG 
Views:	41 
ID:	79378Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo1 (5).JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	79382Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo1 (2).JPG 
Views:	156 
ID:	79374Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo1 (4).JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	79380
    Pepakura jet pack is coming together. I'm not sure how I'm going to make copies of this piece. Vacuum formed would be pretty easy, but fiberglass would be stronger. If anybody has experience with each, or a better idea, please let me know.
    The vaccuform kits are usually done in sections and assembled with resin accessories, so the resin might overall be easier..?
    Aug 1, 2014, 2:39 PM - Re: Building Armor for Star Wars Celebration 2015 #30

Quote Justicethebeast said: View Post
    Goodluck with the jetpack bro. It, along with the helmet, are turning out really well! I gave up on my jet pack I mentioned earlier... Too hard for me lol. Maybe I can get one commissioned by you haha
    I'm not 100℅ sold on the pep jetpack yet. I may end up using it for measurements ond building one from MDF. If you like the finished one, I'm sure we can work a deal.
    Aug 1, 2014, 4:32 PM - Re: Building Armor for Star Wars Celebration 2015 #31

Matt's dropping the ball in the update department. It turns out the gooping is essentially complete:

Registration keys have already been added, but I may decide to be paranoid about not making the mold thick enough and talk him into adding a bit more rubber.
    Aug 1, 2014, 7:15 PM - Re: Building Armor for Star Wars Celebration 2015 #32

Very nice work. Dew the Dew!
    Aug 1, 2014, 8:35 PM - Re: Building Armor for Star Wars Celebration 2015 #33

Quote tterrell said: View Post
    Very nice work. Dew the Dew!
    Indeed. I find that Mt. Dew is a key ingredient to all my projects. I use it moderately at first, but often increase it's use as I approach a deadline.
    Aug 5, 2014, 2:09 AM - Re: Building Armor for Star Wars Celebration 2015 #34

It's been a few days and I figure I would provide an update (pictures may need to be uploaded later as my internet is way slow right now). I got one more layer of silicone added to the helmet mold and made the molds for the ear and range finder. I also saw Guardians of the Galaxy two times and goofed off in a ski boat in Rio Vista... very productive weekend.

and the pictures are here!

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	2.37 MB 
ID:	79592

Stealing more silicone from Shawn... (don't tell him)

Name:	photo(1).JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	79591Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo(2).JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	79590
    Mold Boxes ready to put silicone in.
    Last edited by RalfSkunk; Aug 7, 2014 at 1:49 AM.
    Aug 6, 2014, 2:28 AM - Re: Building Armor for Star Wars Celebration 2015 #35

Sorry again for lack of pictures... My internet has been something worse than bad in the evenings, but I promise to add the pictures as soon as I can. I got the first half of the fiberglass mother mold done today. My friend Shawn also made some castings of the rangefinder and ear piece while he was casting some other stuff earlier today. It really is my expectation to get a few pulls of the helmet made up this weekend.

And we have more pictures!

Name:	photo(4).JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	2.43 MB 
ID:	79594Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo(3).JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	2.49 MB 
ID:	79593
    Not all that exciting, just half of the mother mold... My friend Shawn is threatening to finish it tonight and make the first casting without me, but he knows that I know that he has more important projects to work on. Isn't that right Mr. Shawn?
    Last edited by RalfSkunk; Aug 7, 2014 at 1:52 AM.
    Aug 7, 2014, 1:58 AM - Re: Building Armor for Star Wars Celebration 2015 #36

I got the pictures up from the last few days. I should have the mothermold done tomorrow if all goes well and castings should be coming out this weekend.
    Aug 9, 2014, 2:17 AM - Re: Building Armor for Star Wars Celebration 2015 #37

So my friend Shawn got all ambitious and decided to work on my project a bit (he does this every time he has a real deadline and needs to take a break from whatever that project is). Anyway, he made up the second half of the mother mold and got everything ready to cast last night. I would have probably had two or three casts from the mold already, but my wife insisted that we go watch the new turtle movie tonight. I'm not a fan of Megan Fox, but overall, I liked it... I'd go see Guardians of the Galaxy for a third time, and probably a forth time, before I saw turtles again, but it is definitely worth the matinee price.

Have some pictures: (I told Shawn that these would make him famous)

Name:	photo(7).JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	79689
    Shawn pulling the master from the mold.

Name:	photo(6).JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	79690
    Shawn thinking to himself that this silicone sure looks like the silicone missing from his bucket (don't tell him I took it).

Name:	photo(5).JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	2.10 MB 
ID:	79691
    Master, mold, and mother mold all lined up.
    Aug 10, 2014, 2:39 PM - Re: Building Armor for Star Wars Celebration 2015 #38

Why do you post such tiny pictures?
    Aug 10, 2014, 10:21 PM - Re: Building Armor for Star Wars Celebration 2015 #39

They get bigger if you click on them...
  15. Member Since
    Apr 2013
    Aug 13, 2014, 3:44 PM - Re: Building Armor for Star Wars Celebration 2015 #40

nice.
    looks really advanced and difficult to do. I hope to get into making molds one day and casting helmets. I know you described it already, but i'm not quite clear on the mold-making and filling process.
    any way, with more pics i can figure it out. where do you buy the pink silicone stuff?
    great work thus far.
    i'm excited for more pics!
    -Ghost
    Aug 14, 2014, 1:32 AM - Re: Building Armor for Star Wars Celebration 2015 #41

Thanks Ghost. The silicone is from Smooth-On. There are less expensive alternatives, but my friend Shawn is better educated as to what works best and what the differences are. I just "borrow" whatever he has for my projects in exchange for helping him with his projects. The process is actually pretty easy, but there is a considerable investment in the correct tools and materials.

As to the mold making, after the prototype piece is completed, it is coated in a print coat of silicone. The print coat silicone is thick like maple syrup and will coat the prototype, but will end up pretty thin. The next three layers of silicone were the same material but mixed with a thixotropic additive (I'm sure I spelled that wrong, but I can barely pronounce it half the time). These layers go on pretty thick, like cake frosting and add thickness to the mold. I've been told that the final mold should be about 1/2 inch thick.

The fiberglass mother mold gives form to the rubbery silicone mold so that it keeps it's shape. I used three layers of fiberglass cloth over each side, with some extra thickness where the two sides bolt together for added strength.

The good news is that I have made the first casting in the mold and it fits my head with plenty of room. The bad news is that my friend Shawn took the pictures of me wearing it with his camera and I have none to post.... Shawn... a little help please... you said you would post these...
    Aug 23, 2014, 10:41 PM - Re: Building Armor for Star Wars Celebration 2015 #42

Better late than never.

Here's a pic of Matt with the first casting out of the mold:

Here I am trying it on:

And here's Matt wearing it:

We'll be back to work on this project in no time.
    Aug 24, 2014, 12:12 PM - Re: Building Armor for Star Wars Celebration 2015 #43

Wow.
    This project is epic.
    With weapons that Woodchuck makes, would that be close to Clone Wars animated Death Watch gear?
    Aug 24, 2014, 6:00 PM - Re: Building Armor for Star Wars Celebration 2015 #44

We'll be making our own guns as well. I want to make up a version of the guns that looks like it came from a movie and not straight from the Clone Wars series. They are pretty simple guns, so I'm not sure how we are going to tackle this yet.
    Sep 1, 2014, 5:32 PM - Re: Building Armor for Star Wars Celebration 2015 #45

what a great thread! you sir are good at building stuff !
    Sep 15, 2014, 1:05 AM - Re: Building Armor for Star Wars Celebration 2015 #46

Matt (Ralfskunk) hasn't been showing up in the workshop for a few days, but that hasn't stopped me from getting a start on prep work:

What can I say? I was on a roll in the helmet prepping department:

Hopefully he'll come by on Tuesday evening and we can get a couple of these guys in primer. Quick, goad him into getting back to the shop...
    Sep 19, 2014, 12:01 PM - Re: Building Armor for Star Wars Celebration 2015 #47

So it looks like Matt (ralfskunk) isn't going to bother updating his thread. I guess I'll have to.

The other night we made the T-visors for the helmets. This amounted to cutting pieces of smoke tinted 1/8" acrylic sheet into the right shape, then cooking them in the toaster oven until they were nice and pliable before taping them to the face of the helmet to get the right curve:

It's the sort of thing we were suddenly doing a lot of:

Once the visors were formed, it was a quick matter of gluing them into place:

Then it was a quick sand, wipe down, prime, and paint:

Which was repeated a few times:

Matt's very proud of his helmets:

I keep telling him we really need to get started on jetpacks, but he doesn't listen...
    Sep 20, 2014, 1:28 AM - Re: Building Armor for Star Wars Celebration 2015 #48

So I've been out for a while... That's what happens when the kids have birthdays, Shawn gets a paying project in the shop, and jury duty... Oh the joys of jury duty! The good thing is that we have made some progress out here on the helmets, and even got 4 of them into their base color. Shawn may very well have finished paining them today while I was at work, but hopefully he spent his time making some money and not just avoiding those other projects. Here are some of my "small pictures" to quench your thirst:

Name:	Sept 18 -4.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	2.19 MB 
ID:	80892
    Shawn trimming out the neck.

Name:	Sept 18 -5.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	2.64 MB 
ID:	80891
    Sanded and ready for primer.

Name:	Sept 18 -3.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	80893
    In primer.

Name:	Sept 18 -1.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	2.49 MB 
ID:	80895
    4 helmets in their base color.

Name:	Sept 18 -2.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	80894
    Sometimes I think Shawn is more excited about these than I am...

P.S. Don't alter your abalone report cards, it's against the law and you will be found guilty!
    Sep 22, 2014, 1:00 PM - Re: Building Armor for Star Wars Celebration 2015 #49

Did some masking last night:

Then made the blue parts blue:

Matt was there, but he hasn't posted pics yet. Today I'll probably do more masking and spray the cheekbone areas.

Quick, someone tell him to make more progress on the jetpack!
  25. I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    Sep 23, 2014, 8:28 AM - Re: Building Armor for Star Wars Celebration 2015 #50

I looked into the 501st requirements a bit as well and it looks like they require animated style helmets. As I'm aiming for a movie style helmet of the animated character, these will not likely qualify for use with the 501st without some modification. While the turn signals will be easy to fill, I shaped the visor very much like the movie helmets and not the animated series. This will not likely be an easy modification. Of course if they include death watch guys in the upcoming Boba Fett movie, I just might be ahead of the game for once.
    I can't count how many times I've seen domes built using bike helmets, and yours is probably one of the best I've seen done. All your edges are nice and crisp, and you've done an outstanding job smoothing it all out.

Mandalorian Mercs has a CRL for non-animated style TCW Death Watch kits under our "Canon" category. Minus the Infra-red detectors (those 2 little outward-pointing triangles on the forehead), these helmets would fall within our "real world" CRL for TCW Death Watch.
    • A helmet of standard Modern Era Fett design, without Boba's dent, may be used on "real world" armor. The right earcap must be modded to match the left. There is no RF for Season 2 Death Watch.