Possible frame design idea

From
    Oklahoma City

Possible frame design idea

Well it has come time for me to finally get to work on my HIC. I have had a Stormrider full front panel laying on the floor for well over a year now.

The problem I have been trying to come up with a solution for is weight. I have been trying to come up with ideas on how to make a lightweight box that is also accurate in dimensions and details. I want to be able to take this to troops and other events without having to get out the forklift. I think I have come up with an idea that may work, but I wanted to run it by some others first.

I was thinking of building the box out of blue/pink foam board and then coating it in fiberglass. I would build up several layers of the foam board making the trapezoid shape and roundovers on the top. I would aslso make a slight recess in the top to inset the front panel in. Before putting the panel in I would coat the entire front and sides with a fiberglass shell. Do you think this would work? I don't know if the fiberglass will stick to the foam board or not. I guess the insets into the sides for the panels would act a little like keys to hold everything together, or I could put a fiberglass layer on the underside as well to hold it all together.

Just throwing out ideas.

From
    bozeman, mt go cats!!!

Re: Possible frame design idea

maybe try making it out of 6mm sintra? a 4'x8' sheet of 6mm thick weights 28lbs and it might only take two to build the box.

From
    madison,ms.

Sheetmetal sounds heavy but not that bad. It's going to take a couple of folks to move it any way u go. My finished HIC is around 150 pds.
    If your building it to move around alot make the side panels removeble. My first time moving mine was bad. I went back and added magnets to them. I remove them before I even think about moving it now.

From
    Oklahoma City

saint nasty - Do you think the sintra would flex? I would be afraid that sitting it up on its end would cause the sintra to bend, but I have never used sintra so I don't know how tough it is.

dlzx9r - Yeah I was thinking of using magnets on the side panels so they could be taken off if needed or if I decide to upgrade at a later date. I had seen yours was made of sheetmetal. I might go that route if I had the metal working skills, but I don't.

If I go the route I was talking about I think I have decided that the back will really need to be fiberglassed to ensure strength and stability.

From
    bozeman, mt go cats!!!

6mm should have the rigidity you need, especially if you built a good frame for it.

High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    From
    USAF Utah

You know sintra is pretty sturdy.....Hmmmmmmm Id goto a sign shop see what it feels like...if you box it smf possibly make the bottom area open but boxed in maybe a rectangle with a rounded off rectangle inside the bottom maybe add some hand holds on the bottom as well...hmmmm this has me thinking

sintra seems like a nice light idea

From
    Oklahoma City

I like the idea, but getting the round overs would be tricky and it would still need a frame to mount to I would think.

I made my box out of foamboard. Was cheap and easy to make..and super light. Problem occurred when the wind caught the HIC during an outdoor event. KNocked it over and a corner broke. I can fix it, but the box is much lighter than the front panel....so I want to upgrade to wood. Just remember, when you paint it, use a brush on primer, then spray paint it. The spray paint eats the foam. I used the Stainless Steel spraypaint....the stuff that's suppose to have metal in it. It comes out like a gunmetal color and matched the HIC from SR perfectly. No panels though....