Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Subscribe
    Feb 12, 2008, 10:23 PM - Re: My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive * #76

I thought about that, but I have zero casting abilities and no experience working wth resin. I also need to find the origins of these panels as to avoid recasting without permission. Maybe I can find a good tutorial online or someone can send me instructions.

If someone wants to PM me regarding casting, that is fine, I don't want this thread to be hijacked.

Thanks!
    Feb 12, 2008, 10:27 PM - Re: My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive * #77

Awesome deal on the panels Azheat! Can't wait to see it all come together!
    Feb 13, 2008, 5:33 AM - Re: My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive * #78

Did a little work on the panels today. They needed to be sanded a bit and then I added handles. I also drilled the holes for the LEDs. I need to add the on/off switch to this one. Once I finish the other ones I want to get these mounted so I can start painting. I will have 4 with handles and 4 without.

Sorry for the crappy pictures, the lighting was bad.

4. Member Since
    Nov 2006
    Feb 14, 2008, 9:48 AM - Re: My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive * #79

Looks Really good
    guess I know what I am doing with my Tax rebate when it comes in May lol
    Feb 18, 2008, 7:25 AM - Re: My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive * #80

Here is a quick picture of the side panels I worked on. I added a push button switch and the LEDs. I have 1 blinking red, 1 steady red, and 1 steady yellow. The other panels have a combination of steady green, blinking red, and steady yellow.

I was also able to mount the panels. I screwed them to the box and used a little liquid nails. I also used the liquid nails to trim around where the panels meet the box and to fill in some nail holes.

I would like to sand these and the box tomorrow, prime, and start painting. I decided on silver for the carbonite and pewter or gun metal for the box. I am also going to hand paint some details on the panels.

I'm thinking about buying a blue LED or making some sort of confguration where a soft blue light shines down from the top of the cabinet and illuminates HIC.

What do you think?
    Last edited by azheat01; Feb 18, 2008 at 7:51 AM.
    Feb 18, 2008, 7:48 AM - Re: My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive * #81

That's looking excellent! If you don't mind me asking what have you used to seal the wood so the paint doesn't sink in and reveal the wood grain beneath?
    Feb 18, 2008, 6:35 PM - Re: My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive * #82

Thanks SinisterFett. For the wood I am just using a two coat primer.

I should have the base coat on tonight.
    Feb 19, 2008, 2:05 AM - Re: My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive * #83

Well, I've waited months to get to this point and I couldn't be happier! I finished sanding everything and put on the first coat of primer. I think it looks awesome and I'm excited about finishing.

I think the texture came out nice also. Now I am off to Wal-Mart to buy the silver, clear coat, and gunmetal. Once I finish with the silver and gunmetal, I'm going to hand brush some details on the side panels.

So, what do you tihink? Not bad so far, considering I am under $300.00 for this project.
    Feb 19, 2008, 2:52 AM - Re: My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive * #84

I need some help. I was looking at HIC and thought about the colors again. I was thinking it may be possible to leave Han and the carbonite primer grey and just coat it in clear gloss. I keep looking at reference pictures and think it may not look right if I painted it silver.

I will still do the box a diiferent color.

What do you think?
    Feb 19, 2008, 9:07 AM - Re: My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive * #85

Thats is just coming out GREAT..Looks just awesome....any idea how much it weighs? jjv5150
    Feb 19, 2008, 9:39 AM - Re: My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive * #86

Not sure on the weight, but it really isn't all that heavy.
  12. Member Since
    Nov 2006
    Feb 19, 2008, 6:38 PM - Re: My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive * #87

Wasn't the one icons did pewter in color?
  13. Member Since
    Jan 2008
    Feb 19, 2008, 7:04 PM - Re: My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive * #88

Quote azheat01 said: View Post
    I need some help. I was looking at HIC and thought about the colors again. I was thinking it may be possible to leave Han and the carbonite primer grey and just coat it in clear gloss. I keep looking at reference pictures and think it may not look right if I painted it silver.

I will still do the box a diiferent color.

What do you think?
    yeah silver wouldn't look right but I dont know if primer would look right either. the carbonite looks darker but with a metalic sheen. what if you mixed the primer with silver? But I must say so far I am blown away by your project. it looks awsome.
    Feb 19, 2008, 8:21 PM - Re: My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive * #89

azheat01....Very Nice Job!!!
    Feb 19, 2008, 8:41 PM - Re: My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive * #90

Hey Azheat01,

For the paint...how about using Rustoleum's Hammered mettalic paints? I haven't tried them myself but thought I'd bring it up anyway. BTW, it's looking like the real thing dude!

-Gene
    Feb 19, 2008, 8:45 PM - Re: My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive * #91

I don't know if I would use the hammered paint. I think you should stick with the silver. Krylon nad Colorplace make great silver sprays.
    Feb 19, 2008, 9:23 PM - Re: My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive * #92

looking great so far!
    Feb 19, 2008, 10:19 PM - Re: My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive * #93

lol make a giant mold when you are finished and make casts of it rofl
    Feb 20, 2008, 3:54 AM - Re: My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive * #94

I was checking out the paint at Home Depot today and found a metallic color by Rustoleum called "Metallic Charcoal". I thought it looked good, and I was comparing it to another Rustoleum color, "Dark Bronze". Both were labeled "Metallic" but the cap on the Charcoal had more of a "metallic" sheen. I also went to Wal-Mart and looked at the "Krylon" brands, which is what I usually use, but just couldn't find the right color.

I bought both of the Rustoleum colors and decided to try the Metallic Charcoal first. Man, was I happy! It looks incredible! The pictures don't do it justice, it looks silver in the picture because of the flash, but it's not, it's a dark gray with lots of metallic flake. I didn't even bother with the Dark Bronze. I noticed they were both labeled "Metallic", but the cans looked completely different. Also, this is NOT one of the Rustoleum "Hammered" colors.

If anyone ever plans on doing a project like this, I completely recommend this color for the carbonite. It looks incredible! I even bought some clear gloss but I am worried if I use it, it won't look as good.

The only thing left to decide is the color for the cabinet and possibly a third color, I was thinking alluminum, for the panels.

Last edited by azheat01; Feb 20, 2008 at 4:23 AM.
    Feb 20, 2008, 10:10 AM - Re: My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive * #95

Almost there! Looks awesome!
    Feb 20, 2008, 10:16 AM - Re: My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive * #96

The color looks great!
  22. Feb 20, 2008, 1:41 PM - Re: My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive * #97

***** sweet , looks great well done,well done
  23. I helped at SDCC '08 Silver Fett's Avatar
    Feb 20, 2008, 3:27 PM - Re: My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive * #98

Wow dude that looks awesome!!!Great Job!

P.S Is it really heavy?
    Feb 20, 2008, 6:27 PM - Re: My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive * #99

lookin sweet my man. lookin forward to when its finished
    Feb 21, 2008, 4:01 AM - Re: My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive * #100

Thanks for the comments guys!

Silver Fett, it has weight, but it's not ridculously heavy. I was able to move it by myself, which was awkward only becasue of how long and wide it is. Also, it's not solid throughout. I am going to weigh it when I'm done.

On another note, I have been having trouble deciding on the cabinet and panel color schemes. I have been researching photos and noticed it seems many of the HIC's are all painted one color. I keep referring to the pictures TD2253 posted.

I decided that the cabinet, since it appears to be a stand alone item, needs a different color. I don't believe, and don't like, how the cabinet and panels are sometimes the same color as the carbonite. It just needs a sublte color change so the two seperate. Also, I think the control panels should look different than the cabinet color. So, I am going to paint the cabinet Dark Smoke Grey and then highlight the panels with silver, black, and white.

At least, that's the plan for now!