Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive *

From
    Arizona

Re: My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive *

Thanks, I may look into doing that!

From
    Las Vegas, NV

Re: My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive *

Awsome i want one!

From
    Los Angeles

I love the progress you're making, cant wait to see it all done, great work!

From
    San Diego, California

Azheat,

Here is pic of an oscilloscope screen that looks close.

http://i13.ebayimg.com/04/i/06/a5/cc/a2_1_b.JPG

From
    Arizona

Thanks again, that gives me a good reference!

From
    Hickory, North Carolina

Reference photos and blueprints
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails carbon_2-small-jpg   carbonite-small-jpg   han2-small-jpg  

panel2-small-jpg   han_solo-jpg   carbblueprint-jpg  

From
    Arizona

Awesome reference pictures! I doubt mine will turn out anything like that!

From
    Arizona

OK, it was a busy week, but I did have time to work on my "proposed" side panels. For those who are "screen accurate only" or other faint of heart hardcore fabricators, be forewarned, shield your eyes now!

I have a few other little details to put on it, then I will paint. You can see I drilled 3 holes on the top for my LEDs. Just about everyting on this came from Home Depot, with the exception of the switch for the LEDs and the LEDs themselves (not pictured). I used some washers, handles, nut caps, and I have a few other odds and ends to still put on. The inlay details are made of Sintra. I am not sure exactly how I want to paint this, but I have some ideas.

I am going to have 4 panels like this, and 4 slightly different.

Again, this is for the budget conscious and those like me who have no fabricating skills at all!

Input/suggesstions are always appreciated.

Thanks.

From
    Parts Unknown

The post of the sterilite pieces didn't look that great. However your latest post looks awesome. I know it's not screen accurate, but wow!! Great job.

You're doing a ver commendable job on this project. I'm sure you will love it once you're done. While I don't have the time or the space to try it I'm glad you do. It looks great so far!

-Matt

From
    Arizona

Thanks guys, and I agree Solochaser, when I saw the bins, I had a vision, but I was not sure if it would turn out like I thought. I did a test with the LEDs and it looks awesome, I cant' wait to get it all together. Once I add the extra pieces and get it painted, I think I will be happy with how they turn out.

I may make some changes as I go.

From
    Indiana

Ok I just thumbed thru this thread and that was all I needed to know ... well... WOW!!!! That's all there is to say.... WOW!!!!

From
    Perth, Western Australia

Have you thought of putting it the green square oscilloscope screen, from a fiece of dark transparent green plastic (like a welding shield, but a lighter gradient) set it up like an Car Indicator/Blinker system, with the same mirrored backing/housing and light bulb, to get the full panel light effect, not just the glow in the middle that a small globe would reflect.

Would make it even closer and enjoyable especially if ya feel like a lighted display at night
    Last edited by Alcfalath; Jan 29, 2008 at 10:30 PM.

From
    San Diego, California

Hey Azheat01,

The panels are looking great! Awesome work man!

-Gene

From
    Perth, Western Australia

Either that, or someone break into the exhibit its staying at, and cast molds of the side panels...

Or ask Unkie George if we can.... through 501st Channels of course.. Im sure he wouldnt mind as long as the original isnt damaged in any way

From
    Arizona

Thanks for the comments guys! Alcfalath, I like your ideas about the illumination. I am still trying to figure that out. I thought about some green tinted transparency and backlighting, but you have given me food for thought.

The probem is I am not electonically inclined, so I am trying to keep the electronics at a minimum. I went to Radio Shack and bought some LEDs, power soruces, and switches, and I am happy to say that after blasting through 3 or 4 lights, I finally got it down.

The panel shown above is going to have 2 steady yellow and 1 blinking red. I also have some other colors I am thinking about using.

I will get some more pictures up as soon as possible.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by azheat01; Jan 30, 2008 at 2:19 AM.

From
    Chicago, IL

awesome work man!!!

a tribute to you

While at work the other day, I thought of your thread and decided to make this for you.

http://www.darthgoat.com/arturo/images/solo.AVI

I helped at SDCC '08 Jimmy BufFETT's Avatar
    From
    Phoenix, AZ

Once again, very impressive work!

I helped at SDCC '08 Gonzo Fett's Avatar
    From
    Fear and Loathing in a Galaxy farther...away...

SEEKER said: View Post
    awesome work man!!!

a tribute to you

While at work the other day, I thought of your thread and decided to make this for you.

nice viddy there Turo

From
    Arizona

I like the HIC, much easier to build than mine!

SEEKER said: View Post
    awesome work man!!!

a tribute to you

From
    Massachusetts

Looking great man!

From
    Arizona

Ok, the base finally finished drying and I was able to start the texture. As mentioned before I used some basic tissue paper. It worked out nice, but you have to be real careful as the paper tears easy when you start to set it.

I like the overal effect and think it will look really good when painted. I am going to give it a single coat tomorrow just to seal everything. I used about 10 large sheets of paper. One of the things I did notice though is I did not account for the border around the box, but oh well, this is my first attempt!

You can really see the detail in the second picture.

By the way, any thoughts on some good spray paing colors. I would like to paint the sides one color, maybe a gunmetal, and Han and the carbonite a gloss silver.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

From
    Arizona

Well, I got lucky a week or so ago and was contacted by a member of another forum who had some panels to sell. And to my surprise, they arrived today! He sold me these for $100.00 (and that included shipping). I couldn't pass on the deal given it seems these are hard to come by. They are in good shape and will look great with a little work.

The only thing I want to do is add some handles, add a green screen to one or two, and add a few small swtiches to activiate the LEDs.

Although you can't tell in the picture, they are thick and have the same angle as seen in most pictures. They are also heavy, they are cast in resin.

This does increase my project budget a little, but I am still shooting to come in under $300.00.

Once I get more progress I will post some pictures of these.

Also, fell free to chime in about the colors I inquired about in the last thread.

Thanks.
    Last edited by azheat01; Feb 12, 2008 at 1:02 AM.

From
    Arizona

I thought about the paint and was thinking "gunmetal" for the carbonite and body, gloss, and "steel" or "silver" for the cabinet and panels. Any suggestions?

From
    Ft.Myers FL

you should cast them in case anyone else would be interested in making one as well,never know when a member might get the urge to make on too......gears spinning in head