Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Subscribe
    Jan 16, 2008, 5:58 PM - Re: My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive * #26

This looks great and doesn't look that hard to do. Great job keep the progress pics coming!
    Jan 17, 2008, 1:23 AM - Re: My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive * #27

Does anyone have any good picutres of the side panels of HIC? I am looking for some better pictures and did quite a few searches on-line, but nothing.

Thanks.
    Jan 17, 2008, 1:05 PM - Re: My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive * #28

What's you email mate? I've got some pics of the side panels...
    Jan 17, 2008, 1:09 PM - Re: My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive * #29

AMAZING!!!!!!

Keep on with this great job.

Alfredo
    Jan 17, 2008, 9:51 PM - Re: My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive * #30

azheat i just messaged ya
  6. Jan 17, 2008, 9:53 PM - Re: My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive * #31

I am truly impressed with this project.I am really jealous too.hahaha Great work bro.
    Jan 20, 2008, 4:48 AM - Re: My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive * #32

Well, I think I finished the last detail before I pour the base. I wanted to add the illusion the hands and fingers dragged out the carbonite when Han Solo was frozen. So I made a plaster/glue mixture and made the area behind the hands and fingers.

Once this dries I am going to give it a coat or two and pour the base.

What do you think? (And no, as you can obviously see, it's not screen accurate, I'm not that talented).

Jan 20, 2008, 10:23 AM - Re: My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive * #33

I think that's a nice touch! Once the hands and "carbonite" are painted the same color, I think it will look very realistic! Great project.
    Jan 20, 2008, 7:52 PM - Re: My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive * #34

Wow your project is coming along great! Can't wait to see the final product.

I did notice one thing - and PLEASE I am not trying to be uber geeky or calling you out -

Solo's head (from the shots I've seen) is cocked slightly to the left (his right). Were you planning to move yours that way, or are you going to keep it as is?

I would hate to see you complete this only to realize that you wanted to tilt it.

Again - fantastic work!

Jan 20, 2008, 8:56 PM - Re: My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive * #35

No, I noticed that as well. But the person who made it had it cast in such a way that if I tilted it, the neck would not have lined up with the body the way I wanted it to. I am fine with the way it is, considering the cost.

I thought about altering the cast, but I was worried if I messed it up I would need to buy another.
    Jan 20, 2008, 9:06 PM - Re: My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive * #36

Gotcha. Well, it looks fantastic so far - you have some great goundwork. Keep those pics coming!
    Jan 20, 2008, 9:45 PM - Re: My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive * #37

Hey Azheat,

Awesome job on the Solo in carbonite! I found these pictures of the carbonite block with somewhat good side pics showing the electronic workings. Hope this helps!

Last edited by TD2253; Jan 20, 2008 at 9:58 PM.
    Jan 20, 2008, 10:00 PM - Re: My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive * #38

So far it looks amazing. Can't wait to see the finished project.
    Jan 21, 2008, 1:07 AM - Re: My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive * #39

Thanks for the comments guys, and thanks for the info TD2253! Those are great reference pictures.

Today I poured the base, I am deciding whether I want to texturize this base once it hardens a little more, or pour a top coat and texturize that one. Not sure.

I also have an idea for the side panels which I will post soon.

15. Jan 21, 2008, 1:38 AM - Re: My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive * #40

this looks awsome ,I can't wait to see the final results,great job
    Jan 21, 2008, 3:36 AM - Re: My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive * #41

This is a cool project and I'm lovin the way it's coming together. It's got me wanting to do one once my Fett outfit is finished. Thing is if I could get around to doing one, I think the Mrs would throw a wobbler as I can't see her agreeing to have it mounted on our living room wall
    Jan 21, 2008, 7:04 AM - Re: My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive * #42

The progress is looking better and better! Are you going to use plastic bags sprayed with a release agent for the texture?

It looks like the top left hand electronic panel used to be an old oscilloscope front panel with the graphic screen. You can probably use EL panels or glow sheets with a graph printed on top of a clear sheet to make that panel light up.

Last edited by TD2253; Jan 21, 2008 at 7:34 AM.
    Jan 21, 2008, 6:51 PM - Re: My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive * #43

Quote TD2253 said: View Post
    The progress is looking better and better! Are you going to use plastic bags sprayed with a release agent for the texture?

It looks like the top left hand electronic panel used to be an old oscilloscope front panel with the graphic screen. You can probably use EL panels or glow sheets with a graph printed on top of a clear sheet to make that panel light up.

what model of oscilloscope is it?

oops...sorry if my comment seems like it is hijacking the thread. who ever has the answer can pm me, unless azheat doesn't mind.
    Last edited by SOLOCHASER; Jan 21, 2008 at 6:54 PM. Reason: possibly hijacking.
    Jan 21, 2008, 9:07 PM - Re: My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive * #44

I am not sure what type of oscilloscope they used for this but I think it was a vintage HP oscilloscope or a rack mounted power transformer of some sort. I was searching online to see if I could buy just the front bezel or panel cover but I've only seen something close but not screen accurate. Here is an actual screen capture from ESB when Lando was kneeled down to check his vital signs. I tried to capture it with most of the lights on and I tried to make it lighter that the actual movie shot.

20. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Jan 21, 2008, 10:24 PM - Re: My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive * #45

That is looking awesome! The only thing I notice right now is the shape of Harrison's right hand, it needs to be closed a little more
    Jan 22, 2008, 6:03 AM - Re: My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive * #46

Yeah, I know the hands are not correct, but after playing with them, I decided to leave them alone. I saw a thread from another member who did a great job changing the hands, but I did not feel like cutting them, so I went as is. I tried to heat them up and bend them, but that was not going to work.

Anyway, for the texture I am going to use some 3 feet by 2 feet pieces of tissue paper, then coat them with a light 2 part epoxy. I think that will give the carbonite a nice texture.

I am winging this one since it is my first attempt. I think down the road I will do it again, I learned quite a bite that will help next time.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
    Jan 22, 2008, 10:16 AM - Re: My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive * #47

TIGHT!!!
    Jan 22, 2008, 11:25 AM - Re: My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive * #48

Azheat01,

I can't wait to see the finished project! Fantastic job so far! Check with SGT. Fang to see if he still sells the side panels for the carbonite Solo.
    Jan 23, 2008, 1:25 AM - Re: My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive * #49

Here is my side panel project. I thought I would start working on this while the glue sets on the main piece.

I am starting with a plastic 6 qt. bin. I found these at Wal-Mart for 94 cents each and thought they might work.

I cut the bottom off and then cut that piece at about a 45 degree angle. The approximate cuts are shown in red.

I then took the lid, cut out the center area (marked in red) and then turned it upside down. These bins are made to stack, so the top piece fits naturally onto the bottom when turned upside down.

Here is how it looks once the top is affixed to the bottom of the bin. I am going to go to Home Depot this weekend and find some odds and ends to finish out the panel.

If this works, I think they will look good. I thought about buying some casts of the side panels, but in the interest of saving money (as what I promised my wife) I am going this route. I also like the challenge of trying to recreate something out of scratch.

If anyone has side panel casts, I still may be interested. This idea has the potential to fail miserably!

Last edited by azheat01; Jan 23, 2008 at 1:36 AM.
    Jan 23, 2008, 1:33 AM - Re: My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive * #50

Hey Azheat01,

You can also try to cut out the outline of the side panels and the greeblies out of craft foam and then maybe reinforce it with resin or fiberglass. Just a suggestion...