Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive *

From
    Arizona

My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive *

UPDATE: I have since removed the photos from this thread, if you wish to see my second attempt, click on the thread link below.

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showt...ct-2nd-Attempt

Hey Everyone,

Well, it's been a while! Finally getting settled in and had a chance to work on my lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite project again. Some of you may remember I started this project back in June of last year but had to put it off for a while. The old thread got purged, along with my "Lifesize Boba Fett Project" thread, so I am starting again.

Here it goes!

I intend on spending no more than $250.00 on this project. I bought the Han face from eBay (about $25.00). It looks like it is made out of plaster, not the greatest, but it will do.

The box is made out of 1/2" plywood. The clothes I got on sale at Ross and cost me about $25.00.

The body will be shaped out of styrofoam and the hands were about $20.00 from a party store.

I framed the box out with 2 x 4's.

I put the side panels on and raised the top lip about 1/2" around to allow a boundry for the glue.

Here is the finished box.

Here is a mock up of the body and feet showing the basic shape and postion.

I put some bolts into the back of the head cast to help secure it to the box.

Here is how the cast looks from undeneath with the bolts and washer in place.

I then started adding the screws. I placed a bunch of screws all over the cabinet, from the bottom up, to help secure the styrofoam and glue. I figure the screws will give the glue something extra to grip to.

Here is a close up of where one of the boot tips will go.

Here is a another view of the screws.

Here I am gluing the styrofoam on.

I plan on making the side panels out of sintra and will be adding some electronics.

I am not going by any set of plans, as you can plainly see, I am just wingning it and referencing some photos from the web.

More to come.......
    Last edited by azheat01; Jul 15, 2010 at 4:54 PM.

From
    Arizona

Re: My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive *

By the way, here is the end result of my "Lifesize Boba Fett Project - 1st Attempt".

I finished the final touches, which consisted of weathering the jumpsuit with some black and sand colored charcoal. The mannequin looks good and I get allot of compliments when my friends come over and see it.

I would say he is about 99% complete and will most likely stay that way for some time.

Re: My Lifesize Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 1st Attempt * Picture Intensive *

so far so good! the face looks a whole lot better than the one i made myself, so you'd definitely good on that front

Excellent progress, can't wait to see it finished.
    Let me know if you need a casting of the feet so you don't have to bother sculpting it from foam.

Ely

From
    St. Louis, Missouri

Looks great o far! I've been wanting to do that myself. It'd be great hanging in my office offset with orange backlighting.

VashDstampede said: View Post
    Excellent progress, can't wait to see it finished.
    Let me know if you need a casting of the feet so you don't have to bother sculpting it from foam.

Ely
    speaking of... i meant to ask you a while ago. any chance of you doing partial castings of yours?

i'd LOVE to get face/hands/feet. i'm perfectly happy with my body, but the rest could use some love

Wow, I've always wanted to do one of these! Looking great so far!

VashDstampede, if you did castings of face/hands/feet, about how much would they run?

From
    Southern California

They run about $500.00, used to be $450.00 but Resin can be expensive. shipping costs are low as well in fact he can ship it via Greyhound, that's right Greyhound for $70.00 THAT IS A STEAL!!!! C

Cerillo said: View Post
    They run about $500.00, used to be $450.00 but Resin can be expensive. shipping costs are low as well in fact he can ship it via Greyhound, that's right Greyhound for $70.00 THAT IS A STEAL!!!! C
    that's all for a full front though, not just the hands/feet/face as separate parts.

i think that's a neat option that hasn't been explored. scratch build the body, but have the hands/feet/face in resin.

From
    Massachusetts

I think this is a great idea.... castings of the smaller parts and just scratch building the body.

I don't want to take away from azheat01's progress, so please PM me for questions/suggestions/ideas since I've never thought about selling just parts.

For azheat01, let me know if you want the toes, I'll just charge you shipping plus a couple of bucks for the resin.

From
    Arizona

Here is a comaparison, just for quick reference. I still have to start shaping the body and legs.

Cool! It's coming out pretty good.

From
    Parts Unknown

a fellow member was doing this a while back, but i don't think he finished his. I'll have to try this too, because this looks awesome.

From
    S.F. Bay Area California USA

Looking good! Which I had the room to even start one...hehe!!

From
    Garfield, NJ

Wow - seems like you have laid some great groundwork on this. Please keep the pics coming.

From
    Arizona

I did a little more work today. I started sculpting the foam body and boots and did a base wash of glue over all the foam pieces. I am also building up the neck so it transitions from the plaster face cast to the foam body.

I have a liitle more sculpting to do on the wrists which will be connected to the plastic hands.

I am also going to use my hot glue gun to apply strips in various places to create the "frozen running water" effect.

More to come.............

From
    Arizona

It was a busy week and I got side tracked, so I did not get as much done as I wanted. I managed to get the shirt cut, fitted, and I just finished setting it.

Hopefully I can get the pants done tomorrow and then start setting the hands.

Thanks for posting this step by step & possibly setting a template for the rest of us who want to accomplish this! Great job so far. Take your time! You will do fine!

From
    Arizona

Set the pants today and did another wash of glue. Some of my dimensions are off, but too late to fix them now. I want to get the glue poured as soon as possible, it takes a few days to dry.

I think it will come together once I mount the hands, pour the glue, and start painting.

This is an awesome scratchbuild!

I can't wait until you have those side panels ready for casting! I'm waiting I'm waiting! lol

From
    Arizona

I did some work today, I got the hands mounted and did another wash over the entire piece, to include the boot tips. I wedged and glued a piece of rigid foam under the hands to bring them forward, rather then have them lay flat. It gives it a nice 3D look. The foam will be completely covered when I pour the base. The hands are also secured with screws at the base of the palm.

I used a hot glue gun and made "flash frozen carbonite" streaks to the fingers, palms, and boot tips. I will try and get some closeup shots. I also did a wash over the hands.

It's starting to take shape and I am still on budget.

After another wash or two I am ready to pour the base. I can't wait to paint this thing and start working on the side panels.

Last edited by azheat01; Jan 16, 2008 at 4:01 AM.

From
    killinois

Did you make the mold of the face or were you able to buy that somewhere? It looks just like Harrison's face in ROTJ!

From
    Arizona

I got the face mold from eBay some time ago, it's really not that bad and did not cost much.

From
    Arizona

If anyone has a picture or 2 of their scratch built HIC, I would love to see them, especally if anyone built side panels from scratch. I am looking at a few different ideas.

Thanks!