Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

My Life-sized Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 2nd Attempt

From
    Fayetteville, AR

Re: My Life-sized Han Solo in Carbonite Project - 2nd Attempt

I liked the metallic charcoal for the panel, but like you, I wanted a contrast between the panel and the cabinet. I just couldn't get it right. The non-metallic colors I used were too much of a contrast, but the metallic colors were just too homogenous. So I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what your final color scheme looks like.

From
    Arizona

Trying to finish up this panel and did a little more work. I originally planned on using an electroluminescent panel, but it was going to cost me about $35. Too expensive and too bright.

I decided to use one solid green LED (thus saving about $34). I was going to use one of my flashing LEDs, but it blinked too fast compared to the screen version and I didn't like it.

To finish the panel I printed a grid pattern on some transparent film (I know, it's not screen accurate). I then cut out a piece of Plexiglas and mounted the grid to the front. On the other side of the glass I added a sheet of frosted velum-like paper.

I then bought one of those plastic capsules you see in the coin machines.

I partially filled it with hot glue, trimmed it, and placed the LED behind it. I did this to help diffuse and spread the light.

To give you an idea of how well it works, here is a shot of the panel with the LED alone directly behind the glass. It is very focused and bright, and the light is way too strong in the middle of the glass.

And here is how it looks after putting the LED behind the glued capsule. It has a softer glow and a more evenly distributed effect.

I think it came out nice.

From
    Fayetteville, AR

Sweet--very nice job. I'll be stealing that idea for my panels if you don't mind.

From
    Arizona

Got a little side tracked with the panels today. After seeing this photo.....

I wanted to try something.

Took a quick trip to Lowe's, spent a couple bucks on some insulation couplers and axle caps, and here is what I came up with. I'll make 8, 4 for the bottom and 4 for the top. I am sure someone will eventually post a picture, but I didn't want to wait, so this will have to do. I am sure it's way off.

I also bought a plastic corrugated "For Sale" sign which I will use for those vent like pieces.

From
    Arizona

Here's the corrugated plastic "For Sale" sign I bought. I cut it into several pieces and did a test fit with the those vent details. I like it, it will look much better once I add the other pieces and paint. It was a bit difficult to fit these because of the shape of that area.

I also painted the last two detail parts for the main panel and put the switch in. I stole this idea from another member. Drilled out one of the knobs and it slides right over the switch.

I tried to upload an MPG of the working panel, but YouTube said there was an error when I tried, not sure why. So you can see the video here.

hicpanel

or you can go to:

http://www.apbcollectibles.com/hicpanel

From
    Arizona

Mounted and primed, top and bottom. Spacing is off a little, looks much better in person. Once I mount this to the wall you'll never even see it anyway. So glad I added this though, I love how it turned out.

From
    Kalamazoo, MI

Looks awesome man. You need to mess it up a bit. Because your getting me slammed with people wanting these thigns now that they see how cool they can be

all kidding aside, your doing a tremendous job.

From
    Arizona

Stormrider said: View Post
    Looks awesome man. You need to mess it up a bit. Because your getting me slammed with people wanting these thigns now that they see how cool they can be

all kidding aside, your doing a tremendous job.
    Thanks brother, glad to send business your way. No worries, my referral fee is only 10% . It's amazing how many people ask about it.

On another note, I was looking at this thing and I had a great idea. What if I took out the vents, built a wall behind that opening about 4 inches deep, then added a piece of an old radiator and some copper tubing, then illuminated it with some hidden blue LEDs, put the vents back on, but made them partially open. Then, add a hidden red LED to each port and added a small speaker to the bottom that had some cool exhaust venting noise.

The idea would be that the radiator piece and copper tubing acted as a refrigerant system for the carbonite keeping it frozen, and the exhaust ports pushed out the hot air from the compressors inside.

I would make it so the vents were open allowing you to see the radiator, blue back lit LEDs, and tubing.

Here is a rude interpretation (very rude).

Man, you have no idea how much I want to rip those vents out and try this!
    Last edited by azheat01; Jun 25, 2010 at 10:29 PM.

From
    Cheshire, UK

WOW Stunning! Just need Slave one to put him in, lol!

From
    Arizona

Fully taped and primed, ready for first coat.

Base coat is Dark Metallic Charcoal. This is what I painted my first HIC panel with, but I think it was a bit too dark. Very nice color though.

Then dusted two coats of Satin Nickel Metallic. Looks a bit too metallic in these pictures, but it's not that overpowering in person.

I am going to do a very light acrylic wash in black, blotted, then a few coats of clear gloss.

From
    Fayetteville, AR

Your project continues to impress me. My almost finished HIC has been lonely and thanks you for my renewed interest in him!!

From
    Arizona

I did my light acrylic wash in black and a coat of clear gloss. I tried to take some close-up photos, they suck, but you get the idea.

I'll put another coat of gloss on then start mounting the panels.

From
    New Orleans, Louisiana, United States, 106566059380422, New Orleans, Louisiana

Man, that thing looks amazing! Where can I get the molds from?

From
    UK

Lovin this build bro... I liked the first! but this one... nice...

From
    Fayetteville, AR

can you explain your process for acrylic wash?

I hit the high points on mine w/Rub n Buff, but I'd love to add a little more depth to it.

From
    Arizona

Mojo-Fett said: View Post
    Lovin this build bro... I liked the first! but this one... nice...
    Thanks brother, yeah, I'm lovin this one a bit more myself!

From
    Arizona

toothboy said: View Post
    can you explain your process for acrylic wash?

I hit the high points on mine w/Rub n Buff, but I'd love to add a little more depth to it.
    I bought one of those small bottles of acrylic black paint, the kind you see at Wal-Mart in the craft section or at Micheal's or JoAnn's. I mixed the paint, roughly 1 part paint to 10 parts or so of water and brushed it over the top. I worked in small sections at a time, wiping/blotting the high areas and letting the paint dry in the creases. I did this two or three times in some areas. In some low spots I painted, then did a light blot, and let it dry. I can't take credit for the idea, D. Nyguen passed that on and I thought I would try it.

I did the same thing on my Boba Fett armor and jet pack a few years ago, but never thought about trying on this.
    Last edited by azheat01; Jun 29, 2010 at 11:48 PM.

From
    Arizona

I finally finished the front panel. Put a triple coat of gloss on top and called it done. It was a painstaking process of trying to find the right colors to get the contrast I was looking for, but I have to say I couldn't be happier with how it turned out. I beat myself up over the colors, back and forth, but this is pretty much exactly what I hoped for.

The high gloss gray looks good on the cabinet. Pictures really don't do it justice, other than a few blemishes, it looks terrific in person.

From
    Arizona

I started mounting the panels today. I wanted a way to mount these that wasn't permanent, that way I can take them off if I decide to move it or sell it. I used 1/2" x 3" bolts secured to the back of the panels with 5 minute epoxy putty, stuff is great, hard as a rock. I drilled holes for the bolts into the cabinet and secured them with a fender washer and nut. I also drilled a small hole to feed the wires through.

I added video of the main panel as well so you can see how it looks on the cabinet. I am very pleased with the contrast between the cabinet, side panels, and HIC front panel.

Here is the video:

hicpanel2
    Last edited by azheat01; Jul 1, 2010 at 10:54 AM.

Wow brother.... Outstanding! Really looking forward in seeing it completed.

From
    Kalamazoo, MI

You continue to excel with this. This is nicer than the two I have built up. It truely shows why the hic han pieces are such a great way to go versus the full top piece.

They are easier to use and more versitileIMHO.

Great job. I personally feel the original was the same color all over, just a different matte. Which can be done by using different undercoats, but i would wager this looks amazing in person.

From
    Arizona

Stormrider said: View Post
    You continue to excel with this. This is nicer than the two I have built up. It truely shows why the hic han pieces are such a great way to go versus the full top piece.

They are easier to use and more versitileIMHO.

Great job. I personally feel the original was the same color all over, just a different matte. Which can be done by using different undercoats, but i would wager this looks amazing in person.
    Thanks guys! And thanks to you Stormrider, it's hard to take credit for a project like this when guys like you and Vash created the two hardest pieces, the Han front cast and side panels. And I do agree, it was most likely one color. What got me going on this was a pictures I saw some time ago of a guy's home theater. He had a HIC and it was painted similar to this. I had never seen a paint scheme like that before on a HIC and thought it looked great. I know it's not how it looks in the movie, but I like this look better!

Very nice work, but where did you find the parts for the four panels on the side? Did you make them? I've never seen them around on the fourms for sell.

Static

From
    Arizona

Staticweb23 said: View Post
    Very nice work, but where did you find the parts for the four panels on the side? Did you make them? I've never seen them around on the fourms for sell.

Static
    They are around, you need to post a WTB thread. They come up every now and then.

From
    Arizona

Got a couple things done today, first, I went to the dark side and got an iPhone 4. Walked into an AT&T store and they had 2 left. I took some video with it. I'll give it 30 days, if I don't like it, back to Verizon.

I was able to mount all the panels and wire all the LEDs, looks sort of like Christmas, but all those lights give the illusion something is working in there.

I just need to give this a good wipe down, then add the panel greeblies and I'm done. I brought it inside the house where it is a little cooler.

Here are a few pics and the video. Sorry about the video quality, still trying to work this thing.

When watching the video, click the "pop out" button below the video for a larger view.

YouTube - 002.MOV
    Last edited by azheat01; Jul 11, 2010 at 9:56 AM.