Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My Han In Carbonite Project

From
    North Carolina

My Han In Carbonite Project

Well, I have been doing a lot of poking around here and on the RPF getting different concepts from various builders. I wanted to take a moment to thank azheat, VashDstampede, and Fetthunter for their guidance. My goal is to produce the initial prop for under $300.

I was inspired by the HIC Desk that was made by Tom and Richard. Looking at the high quality of their work, but not the cashflow to afford something of that caliber, I began to have additional thoughts. I'm looking at the possibility of creating it as a desk also with some changes.

The panels on the side where the chair will go will be functional drawers with the panel being the facia. I figured it made sense since they were there to have them functional.

I am also attempting to work with a friend on ideas utilizing acrylic as the base of the desk to give the illusion of HIC hovering (similar to when Boba Fett is transporting him to Slave I in ESB). A friend I've talked to stated that is a unique take on it and will try to give me guidance so it's done right.

Thus far, I have just been gathering some of the parts:

Solo Face: $48 from Fetthunter
    Posable Hands: $39 from Bargainboy's Buy-Outs (Ebay)http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=290281383149
    Upper Torso: $28 from Displayforms (Ebay) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=200154045943

I hope to be able to create something that meets up to the expectations that many of the builders have done before me. I'll post progress reports here, and I would love any kind of input/advice from the veteran HIC builders.

Last edited by Raijlin; Mar 17, 2009 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Added Pics

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    From
    Advertising world

From
    Iowa

Re: My Han In Carbonite Project

Sweet man! I've been wanting to do this for a long time. I've seen a lot of people using latex paints on pants to make them rigid enough to hold creases and pose them like Han's. Can't wait to see your progress man!

From
    Mandalore,NC

DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I shall watch this closely bc i to want that desk lmao

From
    Banff, Alberta, Canada

Looks like you have a good research base already! Good luck and keep us posted! We all love progress shots.

how do i contact fetthunter. i've been wanting to start this project as well, and fetthunters cast looks good. there have been a couple heads on ebay, and the one that continues to show up their, is only like the front have of the face. the one fetthunter casted is the one i need. can someone put me in touch with him, i need to buy this cast today!

From
    Spotsylvania,Virginia

Thanks for the info on the hands. I have been looking for a right and left set everywhere. I wonder if regular spray paint will stick to the latex hands or do you have to use a special paint? I haven't started my HIC because of not being able to get hands that I think will work.

From
    Hickory, North Carolina

I haven't started yet either, but I bought instamold and plaster of paris from AC Moore arts/craft store. The instamold powder mixes with water to make a temporary mold. You then immerse your hand/wrist into the container filled with the instamold. And after several minutes of holding a pose, you remove your hand and pour the plaster mixture in. Then I believe you wait for 24 hours for the plaster to set and remove the instamold from the plaster casting. My hands aren't the correct size to do this so i'll have to volunteer my dad. I was just kinda iffy on the whole plastic hand deal. After seeing the results of previous attempts at making an HIC. It just seems that the detail of the hands need to be as realistic as possible to equal the detail of the han solo(harrison ford) lifecast or it just doesn't look right.
    Last edited by natepenn; Feb 3, 2009 at 9:01 PM.

From
    Spotsylvania,Virginia

The plaster will work but I am afraid that the hands might be to fagile. I want to make sure if someone touches the HIC that I won't worry about breakage. Hydrocal is a stronger type of plaster.

From
    Hickory, North Carolina

This is the by far the best project i've been able to find of a scratchbuilt HIC.

http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/d...thchromer/HIC/

From
    Kuala Belait,Brunei Darussalam

I'm starting a new project HIC this year too.Can't have Boba Fett without his priced bounty.I started with contacting fetthunter & he has the mask available.Need info though...what is the actual dimension of HIC,the height,width,etc...??

From
    San Diego, California

That's how I would make a HIC too by using a half torso for the body. Can't wait to see your WIP pics! Thanks for the vendor links!

From
    North Carolina

I wanted to give you guys some more links. I wasn't able to utilize the first gentleman's service because I already purchased my upper torso, hands, and Fetthunter face. (Personally, with the quality of Fetthunters face, and the challenge ahead of me of making it from scratch, I'm looking forward to doing it my way.)

There is gentleman on RPF that is making the frontal bodyparts for the HIC: 1 face, 2 hands, 1 torso, 1 legs, 2 feet

He is doing this for $200 and he states:

"... it is not from a Illusive Concepts model. this is a beautiful life size sculpt of the front with a cast of the original head put in. made in resin that is incredibly tough. you cant even tell it from the IC one."

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=57239

So just wanted to throw that out there for anyone that might find use of it.

Also, fetthunter, azheat, and I are on the waiting list for vashdstampede over at the RPF for some REALLY nice side panels that he is doing.

$250 and he is going to be making some (if not all) hollow for electronics/portability purposes for people in the 501st that carry their HIC.

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=56754

If you need any detail pics of the Illusive Carbonite Solo, let me know. I have one.

From
    Hickory, North Carolina

I don't know how large the image would be, but could you display the detailed photo in a reply on this thread?

From
    Naples, FL

awesome, ive been wanting to do one forever now and youve inspired me

From
    Hickory, North Carolina

Does anyone have a tutorial for making the side panels? Or at least how to go about scratchbuilding with styrene.
    Last edited by natepenn; Feb 26, 2009 at 6:36 PM.

From
    Stittsville, Ontario, CANADA

I though someone on one of the boards was going to be doing runs or a rubber type front panel that could be rolled up and shipped in tubes. Anyone seen it, or remember what Star Wars board that post was from??....e-mail me please!

From
    North Carolina

Well, it's been a hectic month. I've had bronchitis for over 4 weeks. Finally am kicking it out of the system after I told the doctor I needed something stronger since I have obstructive lung disease from the Marine Corps. He finally listened and put me on two steroids and a different antibiotic. 3-4 days later, BAM, it's nearly cleared my system. LOL...

Well, the project had to be delayed slightly cause we moved into a new house. Been spending time trying to get my office to not look like a war zone, plus repaint it. (Ugh, lavendar/purplish color!!! Decided to go with a light grey...so it was more star wars themed.)

My wife did come up with a better idea however for the design of the cabinet (mostly because I think she was afraid of being the one to help me move it...LOL).

Originally, I had planned on making the entire cabinet and carbonite fascia with Han body parts all one piece, utilizing the 1/2 ply for the sides and the top, and using a 2x2 frame. I needed the extra support so the weight of anything on the desk would be supported adequately.

She mentioned about possibly making it in pieces, to control the weight and also make it more managable while moving it. So I went back to the drawing board and designed it so that the Han Fascia will be a separate piece that will actually slide into the cabinet and stay on some support crosses. This should cut the weight down significantly and make it more managable.

She actually had another idea and I'm thinking of going to Western Carolina University (my college) and seeing if they could do it. She had the idea of getting the cabinet to be vacuum-formed plastic, similar to the children's Race Car Beds, Fire Truck Beds, etc. you see for sale. They have the boards that simply slide into them and are strong (my son had one and it was strong enough to support my weight.)

I told her the only question would be the matter of cost. I can only imagine plastic thick enough to equate to those car beds, plus the fee to get it done, would probably be high.

The plus side would be, I would already have the drawer mounts sculpted into it and the HIC Fascia could then slide in easily. So, it won't hurt to ask the college to see if they can do it without it costing an arm and a leg.

From
    North Carolina

Well, with the Easter vacation starting on Wednesday, it allowed me to catch up on the office and begin the Han In Carbonite project. I was finally able to finish painting the office, so I put that hassle behind me.

I had been contemplating purchasing a table saw for the last couple of weeks and after researching what I would need and getting the most bang for my buck, I ended up purchasing the Skil 3400-12 Table Saw from Lowe's on Wednesday. Had the thing put together and adjusted in about an hour and a half, and I must say I'm quite impressed. I was able to get it marked down from $169.99 to $143, plus I had a 10% discount coupon from when I moved to the new house. In the end, I ended up paying around $138, so I can't complain.

April 9, 2009

Today, I can finally say that I have officially begun building the HIC Desk. Everything went mostly smoothly. I remembered much from my shop class in 9th grade (yeah, about a decade and a half ago since I've had to use a table saw) and was able to finish contructing the top portion of the frame. I must say that I am very pleased with the idea my wife came up with having the Han portion of the top actually sit on a different piece that would slide into the frame. This will make things much smoother.

Pic of my new baby and the shorter 2x2s of the frame:

The work bench, the long 2x2s, and the saw again:

The top frame put together:

Close up showing where the top facia will slip into the frame:

One of the 2x4s was slightly torqued, even after I ripped it down to a 2x2. So, using some cinder blocks, hopefully things will straighten out over night:

Had to put the kids in bed. Good thing I will have Friday and Saturday. I'm hoping to have the entire frame done by the end of the weekend. We shall see.
    Last edited by Raijlin; Apr 11, 2009 at 3:54 PM.

From
    Oklahoma

Good luck man, can't wait to see the final results!

G-Fett

From
    Georgia

Fantastic concept - I'd expect nothing less from this and other contributions to the site. Beautiful idea, highly anticipating the finished product!

From
    North Carolina

April 11, 2009

I was anxious to get back to work on the project, as I spent yesterday taking my children to see the Easter Bunny at the local Wal Mart, and of course had to purchase tons of candy for the weekend foray.

1) Added a 1x2 support at the head and the foot of the frame to assist in supporting the plywood facia once it is in place. The thought hit me and was kind of a "well duh" moment, as I should have had it included from the get go.

2) Finished up the bottom of the frame, cut out the 2x2x6 supports, and began assembly of the frame. Ended up running out of screws, so I will probably be done for the day unless the wife gets home with the children from her sister's house.

Pics

Top and bottom frame cut out, with new head/foot supports

The frame about 85% done:

I still need to put on the last 5 2x2x6 supports, as well as plan out the sliding drawer system I want to include on the HIC where the panels towards the desk chair will be.

From
    North Carolina

Further progress:
    The last week, I was able to slip in some time between studying for 3 major exams, coaching my sons soccer game on Sunday, and my wonderful wife now requesting me to do some "projects" around he house. (It's amazing how I got THE LOOK....those married know what i'm talking about.....when I purchased my table saw and other odds and ends. Now, all of a sudden it seems acceptable because there's a shelf that needs to be built for this room, a hanging thing to go in that room...blah blah blah that she is requesting.)
    LOL...
    The sides to the frame/desk were put in place, as well as the surface board where the actual prop pieces will be attached. Again, I can't thank my wife enough for coming up with the idea of making that seperate from the frame itself. This thing gets HEAVY lugging it around. Plus, once it comes to painting, I won't have to tape off anything. I will just be able to remove the center section and spray.
    I also spent time designing and making a leaning shelf for my office, so time was split between that and the Han. I wanted to try and get the shelf done ASAP so i can go back to displaying my Star Wars collectibles.
    Anyways, here's some progress pics, as well as some with the props on the front facia to get an idea of the likeness:

From
    Maui, Hawaii

Love how this is turning out - great job!

From
    The miserable mill

wish i had that much space to work